Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bullitt 353 also lost all it's freon at about 300 miles. Dealer said it was bad o-rings. He only kept the car about 4 hours to fix it. Car now has 4200 miles and is cooling just fine. Here in Georgia we need our air conditioning.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Guys,

That stuff you are breathing is R134a not freon. Car manufacturers stopped using freon in cars a few years ago. The problem is that the new r134a is more prone to leaks than freon was. If I remember correctly it has to do with a smaller particle size and higher pressures it has to be kept at. I know that air conditioning failures are more comon on all cars with the new refrigerant.

Eric

BTW-Make sure that you run your air conditionet or defroster w/air occassionally. It helps keeps the seals lubricated and can prevent the refrigerant from leaking out.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Got off work early to start the Memorial day weekend with plans to drive then drive and then do some driving. Parked at home and heard an what sounded like a garden water hose on high. Looked under the hood and the top ac hose coming out of the firewall was leaking at the seal. If you pushed on it, it would stop. 4:30 call the dealer and said I am 10 mins away and he said bring it in. Left it and it was ready at 11:00 the next day (Sat, they have full service on Sat)
Car also has like 4100 miles on it.
Have to give the service dept on A on this one.
A few hours later. Picked car up and wow, the AC must have been leaking before... I thought it was good before, it kicks now...
Hope it stays that way... Now I just have to get rid of that smell, glad it let go under the hood and not inside...
Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2001-09-01 15:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My a/c stopped working while driving home from the dealership with only 31 miles on the clock. It turned out to be a defective high-pressure switch. Hope this isn't an indication of future problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
#447 "hisses" for about 4 minutes after I turn it off. I've had it since May 2nd and have ~3.1K miles on it. Still cooling strong, even in the Texas heat. Although 100 degrees works it hard.

Never had a car hiss like that. I'm thinking maybe its condensation dropping onto the exhaust manifold or pipe.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
That's exactly what is "hissing"....

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I picked up my second Bullitt I got 1/4 mile from the dealership and my A/C compressor locked up. Took it back in on a Monday and they had it fixed in about an hour. No problems since, but I only have 1300 miles on the car.

·
Registered
466 Posts
No problems with A/C on #2879 so far. However, I only have about 500 mi. Unfortunately, Ford is notorious for having problems with their A/C systems. Don't know why they can't seem to get it fixed. I had a '90 GT and the only problem it ever gave me in 95,000 miles was the A/C cycling switch had to be replaced about every 20K miles.

I have always been told that you need to run the A/C on a Ford periodically, even in winter, to keep the seals working properly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-04 22:09, EMA Racing wrote:
When I picked up my second Bullitt I got 1/4 mile from the dealership and my A/C compressor locked up. Took it back in on a Monday and they had it fixed in about an hour. No problems since, but I only have 1300 miles on the car.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
So what happenned to Bullitt 3696 ? Did I miss that story. :???: That makes 3 Known Bullitts already demised, the one that Killed The girl in Arizona, Bullitt 929 and this one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
[/quote]
So what happenned to Bullitt 3696 ? Did I miss that story. :???: That makes 3 Known Bullitts already demised, the one that Killed The girl in Arizona, Bullitt 929 and this one.

[/quote]

It wasn't too bad. This is the car that had bad paint and Ford bought it back and gave me a new one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
968 has no AC anymore, just over 4000 miles.

It started hissing horribly, spewing coolant from a heating hose. The AC no longer works after I put the hose back in its place. The hissing's gone, though...

You might want to check your hoses. They're just clip-ons. Your ac may be next...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I drove away from the dealer and drove right back into service, the guys freaked, my A/C didn't cool right out of the box...
Hope this is the only problem i have, well for except the spotting on the left lens..

·
Registered
309 Posts
News on 968's AC. Evaporator coil is toast. The green liquid I saw spraying out is a dye they put in there that reflects ultraviolet light so the mechanic can detect it more easily. They're going to fix it while I'm on vacation next week.

It's at least a 2-day job. They have to pull out the whole dash to replace everything. I talked to the mechanic who'll be doing it and he said he wants at least 2 days so he can be extra careful, maybe 3. He could do it in 1, but not with my car. :smile: I said take whatever time it takes to do it right the way he wants to. My Ford service people are truly awesome. They do it right the first time almost always. The only exception is my hood. The body-shop had to paint it due to shipping sratches, and it probably didn't have enough time to dry between when they painted it and a vulture decided to use it as a toilet. They'll be fixing the bubbles on that, too.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,044 Posts
Oh man Micah! We had to have our trunk repainted right after delivery due to a nasty scratch. Our body shop did a wonderful job. Some advice to everyone: Don't hurry the shops (mechanical or body) with your Bullitts as you want as thorough job as they can do and with expertise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts