Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally begrudgingly made an appointment with the dealer (first time back since purchase) for a water leak. Here's my original post...
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163189

The service manager at Waldorf Ford said he would need to keep it overnite so once the repair was done and completely dried he could recheck it to be sure he got all the leaks and I wouldn't have to come back. The following day instead of the call I wanted, namely to come and get my Bullitt, he says the words no carguy wants to hear ... "I'm very sorry to have to tell you one of our mechanics backed your car into an exposed engine stand and there are some scratches in the rear bumper." He offered to have the body shop fix it but I probably won't be getting it back until the first part of next week. I begged him to not let anyone run the "****" out of my car. I am on pins and needles, wondering if it is getting abused by some testoserone laden lot boy. Man, I really never wanted to have my Bullitt out of my sight. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Hope it comes out ok. None of us want to have paint work done on our baby! And having the baby in someone else's hands is not an easy feeling!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I feel for you, but I sometimes think we get too hung up on our 'stuff'...
A South African friend of mine once said half-jokingly that he never felt totally relaxed until one day that he left his wallet (cards, over $2000 in cash etc) open on a beach in Thailand and just floated offshore whilst watching people walk past it...

It's our pride and joy, but it's just 'stuff' it can be replaced...the really important things are our family and friends...everything else is transient...

Take it easy, relax then call up a friend you haven't seen in a while and go for a beer...
Trust me, even if the car gets robbed, burnt or crushed...it doesn't really matter in the long run....

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I work at a dealership and we have strict rules about driving customer cars - speed limits of 5 mph on property, etc.

I suggest you visit the dealership and talk to the service manager about your concerns, get B's the mileage [ to the 10th's], and then ask for an introduction to the body shop manager.

Ask to see the painting facility, get evidence the paint code will be correct, commitment on pick up date,etc.

There is a fine line between being genuinly concerned about a special vehicle and a
"pain the the a** customer" fretting over their 100,000 mile Focus.

Walk that line and you should get good service and a good paint repair.

BTW , ask for the name of the dealership GM - they'll know who you'll turn to if things dont turn out to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,297 Posts
When our dealershiop back in 2001 made a large scratch in our trunk when we had it in for something else, we told them we wanted our own body shop to do the work. They had no problem in letting us take it to our own guy. It all depends on how busy the shop is on how long it will take. We got ours back in 2 days. I am sure she will be fine... :neutral:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Well at least he fessed up immediately and has a plan to rectify the situation. What a bummer but glad to hear you took it in for the water leaks, now there's a potential nightmare!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can relate with this.... Way back in 1986 I bought a brand new Jeep CJ-7. I took it in to have the brake lights fixed (it was like a week old). I get home and the service manager calls me with "There's a slight problem...." Well, back in 1986 Jeeps didn't have a clutch safety switch so you could in fact start a Jeep with it in gear! Turns out the mechanic started it up in gear and the Jeep takes off across the shop and smashes it into the work benches! Took out both front fenders... As it turned out luckily there were problems with the loan papers and stuff... and in the end I got a BRAND NEW JEEP...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
When I was younger things would have escalated into a riot quick on that!Now that i have had much stress in my life I physically cannot afford to get worked up over things like that.It takes at least a day to recover..............
I think it has been mentioned to try and handle it the best you can,No new car owner likes paint work but whatcha gonna do?
I had my Bullitt for two weeks or so when some road debris flew over the divider and put a nice dink in the wheel lip edge of the driver side front fender,OUCH!
I found a dent doctor that made it damn near like new and all was almost well again.I feel your pain but try not to get too worked up a it is usually energy spent best elsewhere.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks everyone, I just wanted a little assurance I guess. To me, this is not just another grocery getter but the last ultimate performance vehicle that I'll ever own and afford....probably my last go 'round at 55. I planned the payments to be ending right around the time I retire with 30 yrs service in about five years. Then a huge monthly payment would be out of the question. Anywho I'm hoping I get it back with no noticable performance defects. Sooner or later most of us will be taking our rides in for some kind of service ...... hopefully alls well that ends well. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks again. The Wheelman

·
Registered
495 Posts
My dealer damaged my rocker cover during the axle swap. They bought a new one, had it painted and installed it while I waited. Looks good as new.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
My first service of 2954, pulled-into the line of cars waiting to be serviced, get out, walk past tech who was getting-into the Explorer in front of us, knodding a greeting. Get-into the desk-area, waiting to talk to SM (who was on the phone), same tech walks in, obviously agitated and waits to talk to SM as well. Tech turns to me, asks "Is that your GREEN MUSTANG out there?" I reply yes, he heaves a BIG SIGH & sez "Could you come out with me, I gotta SHOW you something........."

He'd backed up about 5' or so (dunno why, & neither did he) and punched a 3"x3" square hole through the bumper.......

Dealer promised to take care of it - and finally did: After SIX WEEKS of waiting...... (claimed it was 'cuz the first bumper-cover they ordered was damaged, then had trouble locating another).

Looks almost good as new - wasn't 'til I had it back for a few days that I noticed the bright-silver fasteners on the bottom that they'd used to attach the cover. I understand that sometimes parts don't fit properly, but you'd think they could have at least used Black Oxided screws.........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. This is exactly why I perform every single maint. and repair on my cars/motorcycles that I am able do myself regardless of warranty. In 30+ years of car and bike ownership, I've got more than a handfull of stories similar to Wheelman's. Bottom line is that many dealership employees could give a $-h-1-t about your car. And sadly, all too often, the management will side with these morons in any dispute that may arise.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Just a suggestion .........

Wheelman said:
I finally begrudgingly made an appointment with the dealer (first time back since purchase) for a water leak. Here's my original post...
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163189

The service manager at Waldorf Ford said he would need to keep it overnite so once the repair was done and completely dried he could recheck it to be sure he got all the leaks and I wouldn't have to come back. The following day instead of the call I wanted, namely to come and get my Bullitt, he says the words no carguy wants to hear ... "I'm very sorry to have to tell you one of our mechanics backed your car into an exposed engine stand and there are some scratches in the rear bumper." He offered to have the body shop fix it but I probably won't be getting it back until the first part of next week. I begged him to not let anyone run the "****" out of my car. I am on pins and needles, wondering if it is getting abused by some testoserone laden lot boy. Man, I really never wanted to have my Bullitt out of my sight. :rolleyes:
You and Most Everyone else that owns Limited Performance Cars Hate to leave them

anywhere overnight.

Now I hope all goes well on the Rear Fascia.

tigerhonaker

BTW,

Mike,
just for your info.
They could get "colors on parade"
to do the Repair. Especially if
it is a Very Minor Scratch/Scratches.
I have used them Many times and so
do almost all Dealers.
They repair (ONLY) the Area Effected.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I'm glad to hear in the other thread that all is well now.

You'd be surprised at what happens to cars in transit from the factory to dealer and what gets fixed, sometimes by the transporter and unreported.
A friend used to work in the Body shop of a Chrysler/Dodge dealer. He said he regularly repaired bullet holes! Apparently as trains crossed rural areas it was not uncommon for (mostly) kids to take shots at cars on the train with anything from Pellet guns to .22s to bigger. Trains now mostly have steel side guards protecting cars.

·
Registered
154 Posts
happend to you too, Dealer had to change my front facia it was damaged beyond repair a mechanic hit a car lift with it so when I got to the dealer I asked what happened to the bumber the service manager looked at me and said NOTHING!!!

His Mechanic dint want to tell him he hit a Lift so I had to leave the car for 4 Days and I drove 65 milles back home with a loaner...

no one's perfect...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts