Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bullitt is a fun summer daily driver with fairly high mileage (not a show car or a collector car) so I am not really too interested in appearance mods, but I am considering a few functional mods and would appreciate any advice or suggestions regarding recommended mods or makes of parts etc.

I currently have the following in my shopping cart online at CJ Pony Parts:

Air filter: The car came with a K&N, but I am thinking oem paper filters would be a safer long term solution (filtering more fine particles than the K&N). I live in a semi-rural moderately dusty area.

Rear control arms: I have noticed quite a lot of wheel hop under hard acceleration from rest, and the RCA seems to be a highly recommended option.

Shifter: I find the stock shifter very balky at times. It works well when shifted slowly and gently, but when trying to shift quickly it really sucks. Is the Barton a good choice?

I guess I should add that the car is fairly stock, the only significant changes so far are the FRS 500 axle back exhaust and 255/45-18 Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. My goal is to achieve maximum performance on a low budget and maintain stock appearance and stock ride height.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have a set of Steeda rear LCA's that are pretty much exactly like those; very pleased with the performance; wheel hop is not an issue any more. The noise from the rear differential is much more pronounced when cornering, as there is less slop in the bushings to absorb the noise, so it's transmitted into the cabin. But if you don't mind a little more noise, it's a good upgrade.

Barton is pretty well-regarded for shifters, probably second only to MGW. I have a Roush and I hate it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Lower control arms for sure they got rid of my wheel hop. Go with your favorite brand. I personally don't mind the stock shifter, but I have heard barton or MGW are the 2 of choice.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
LCA's sound good, you can get some with softer bushings for less noise transfer. Check Steeda's street version out. Another shifter will help some, but 3650's are not the most fast shifting transmissions. In other words, you can shift faster than the synchos are capable of meshing. But, that said, a better shifter will be more precise; and noise transfer or shifter vibration may be an issue.
I like the paper AF as well. Have fun.

·
Car Whisperer
20,668 Posts
probably out of all those you picked, the lower control arms will make the most difference. but, as advised, be ready for more nvh in the cabin as the poly bushings transmit much more noise. some people who never heard gear whine hear it after the change and think there is something wrong with the diff. not so, just less to inhibit the noise. worth it.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Car Whisperer
20,668 Posts
the mgw is supposed to be really good. only drawback for me was you cannot change the handle on those shifters. I like being able to change handles to get the height and angles I like better. Had a steeda triax at first in my Bullitt and hated it. very notchy and noisy. went to a hurst and was happy. have a pro 5.0 in my cobra and am very happy with it also.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I was not aware of the extra noise issue with the poly bushings on the LCAs, so really appreciate the heads up. I will look into the softer bushings available as suggested.

Regarding the shocks and stuts, I appreciate the suggestions and will certainly consider upgrading in the future, but they are not in the budget this year.

MGW looks like a good alternative for shifters, they appear to only sell direct which may be an issue for shipping to Canada, but I will look into it.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
If that's the case, have UPS ship to their warehouse near the border and nip over and pick it up. I used to do that with R compound tires. A certain company (Kal Tire) had an exclusive on Nitto tires in Canada, and they added like 50% markup. So I'd order from Discount tire, shipped to UPS warehouse in Fort Erie, and I'd pick them up there. Cross the border, pay your GST, done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This kind of info is exactly why I appreciate this forum so much. After some more research, I am pretty sure the Barton shifter is off the table and the MGW is the way to go.
Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If that's the case, have UPS ship to their warehouse near the border and nip over and pick it up. I used to do that with R compound tires. A certain company (Kal Tire) had an exclusive on Nitto tires in Canada, and they added like 50% markup. So I'd order from Discount tire, shipped to UPS warehouse in Fort Erie, and I'd pick them up there. Cross the border, pay your GST, done.
This was my plan also. I am planning a trip to to Washington State at the end of June. I was hoping to find one supplier for all the items I needed in order to simplify things. But 2 orders (MGW & CJ Pony Parts) is doable.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
It's all about the bushings. The harder they are, more noise. The softer bushings usually will say, "Street use," if it says track or race they will be much harder.
The ford racing part # is M5538-4. These would work well. They are not adjustable, but as long as you aren't changing driveshafts or messing with geometry you should be good to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Order placed. I went with the Ford Racing LCA + 3 cabin air filters and 3 intake air filters. CJP was good enough to price match the LCA (American Muscle price was $130, CJP was $145). I went with CJP originally since the AM cabin air filters were $13 more each and I wanted 3.

MGW shifter order placed.

I will update this thread when the shifter and LCAs are installed, some time in July.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I've always been very curious about the Blowfish bracket for the shifter. It allows you to bolt the shifter entirely to the transmission, instead of half to the trans and half to the floor. Keeps the twist out of the shifter when the engine torque hits. Not cheap, but a great solution. Anybody have one?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the MGW short shifter and it's awesome. I also have MMS lower control arms with Spherical bearings and adjustable spring perch to set ride height. Bilstein's all around. I highly recommend these products!

·
Registered
623 Posts
My favorite “functional mod” - a one piece aluminum driveshaft! Took out clunking between shifts and made the car feel much smoother. This was done with 14,000 miles on the car. Car felt clunky with the original driveshaft from day one (I’m the original owner).
I’ve done a few other mods too, but the driveshaft really made the car nicer to drive. From memory, it’s a “Shaftmasters”.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts