Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition in my 66 Lemans with a Jacobs 50000 volt (I believe) coil. I really didn't have any trouble keeping it running before I did the swap from points, but now it will idle then just die. I had it running the other day and turned the headlights on and it died. It doesn't stumble then die, it just cuts out. Since I didn't do anything to the fuel system, I'm thinking it's electrical. It will start back up and run fine, I even turned the headlights on and let it run. I've reset the timing on multiple occasions and it doesn't seem to do any good. Could it be something as simple as the battery not providing enough amperage? I have a new voltage regulator and the alternator is good. What other things can I check?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 73 Mustang. Turned out there is a short ground wire in the distributor that runs from the condensor to the base inside the distributor. It was an intermitant problem but an easy fix. This was with the original points and not an aftermarket system. Might want to look for a ground wire.

Any pics of the LeMans. My sister had a 66 LeMans Convertible, Bronze with White Interior. She bought it new in Virginia, but sold it in Houston Texas in the early 70's I think. Neat cars!

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rare Pony said:
I had a similar problem with my 73 Mustang. Turned out there is a short ground wire in the distributor that runs from the condensor to the base inside the distributor. It was an intermitant problem but an easy fix. This was with the original points and not an aftermarket system. Might want to look for a ground wire.

Any pics of the LeMans. My sister had a 66 LeMans Convertible, Bronze with White Interior. She bought it new in Virginia, but sold it in Houston Texas in the early 70's I think. Neat cars!
I'll check that out. I have pics on my other computer. I'll upload some in the next day or so. My new headliner came in today, so I'll be busy putting that in next weekend. This is my 4th Tempest/Lemans/GTO of the 66-67 family. I've really had the opportunity to see the build quality of these cars versus Ford cars (I have a 67 Cougar as well) of the era. GM quality was way above the Ford, in my opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts