Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I got JLT CAI, Steeda UDPs, O/R H-pipe, built tranny w/ short throw(hittin gears not the problem), and the Xcal3 custom tune on 746. I thought I had plenty of power to do it, but I just lost to an '03 Mach 1 which is stock except for no cats. I understand the 3.55s and the DOHC, but I shoulda still had him. He got me by a car length. What could be wrong? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You're trying to make up for about a 35hp deficiency with about 20hp (if you're lucky) worth of mods. Some 4.10s should even things out a bit more. Also, was it on the highway, because that's the 4v's strength.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
gears, GEARS, and once more for the dramatic! GEARS!!

3:73's should do the trick!

It's like driving a new car!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Y'know - I love hangin' out up here in the '01 part of the Forums - you guys have so much-more Interesting breakdowns and problems than us '08 guys.

"How can I whup-up on that Mach 1" or "I just blew my tranny, how hard is the T-56 to install".

We have "my fuses aren't clicked-in all the way" and "How can I make the chartreuse colour with my ambient lighting?" :lol:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
JC2954 said:
Y'know - I love hangin' out up here in the '01 part of the Forums - you guys have so much-more Interesting breakdowns and problems than us '08 guys.

"How can I whup-up on that Mach 1" or "I just blew my tranny, how hard is the T-56 to install".

We have "my fuses aren't clicked-in all the way" and "How can I make the chartreuse colour with my ambient lighting?" :lol:

Hahahaha, I laughed out loud at that one.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well there is this place in North Oklahoma City where a main highway starts so a lot of people go there to race(late at night of course). I took him from a dig. I was ahead about a car through first and second but he started to pull at the end of third and at about 140 he had the one car on me and he backed off. For some reason, he was mad after the race and would not race me again. He was careful not to say anything dumb and we racing again next week. My main shop is definitely telling me to go with gears as well. 3.55s or 3.73s. I really want the 3.73s but I drive a lot and this is my DD. Think the 3.55s won't do the trick? Any other suggestions? Bare in mind I just paid some bills. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
3.73's are still a perfect gear for a DD. I would not even consider the 3.55's if it were me. You will hear from most, "dont fear the gear, go 4.10's" and they love them. I personally do 4 hours of highway driving every other weekend and 4.10's are a little much for me. Get some 3.73's in there and you will love the difference. Let us know how it goes afterwards.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have 4.10s and absolutely love them. Mine's not a daily driver, but I very frequently drive it on the highway, and it's very tolerable despite what some people say. And it's nice to have the extra pull in 5th without having to downshift. But, if you have real loud exhaust like mine, you'll notice more drone at highway speed. I get about the same mileage as with stock gears as well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
"Dont fear the gear! Truer words have never been spoken." I forgot who said this on the forum but they're right. Doing a 4.10 swap in the rear is going to make the car fly like a rocket

·
Registered
722 Posts
JC2954 said:

That's because we don't mind modding our cars! :lol:

To Loaded, you should be deciding between 3.73s and 4.10s, NOT 3.73s and 3.55s lol. Do you plan on eventually getting a supercharger? Go 3.73s. Plan on staying N/A? Go 4.10s. If you go want 4.10s but the gas mileage is what stops you, just don't drive it as hard when you don't need to. Less chance of getting pulled over, better gas mileage, less chance of an accident, it's only a good thing to do!

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/9650-difference-gas-mileage-between-3-73-4-10s.html

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shoot, thats all very convincing and "don't fear the gear" is an easy thing to say for people with a steady income for the raging gas prices. I drive roughly 120 miles of highway everyday and I work on commission at a part-time job. Thats why 4.10s are definitely out. lol. My shop is pushing the 3.73s but the mach has 3.55s and so does my girlfriend's terminator cobra..(thats right, its insane)..and they seem to do fine..ha ha, afterall, I lost to those 3.55s. My friend that happens to own Top Speed Performance ordered a pretty sick superchip and tuner setup over a month ago but its still not in yet(back order). He has 3.55s in his DD vette and says they are great. I figure it just be an estimate, but how much worse would my gas mileage be with the 3.73s? Don't think I could win with the 3.55s? Another thing, how restrictive are those stock flowmasters?

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
YOur gas mileage will not change. 5111 did the ultimate test. He drove his with 3.73s his brother had stock 355s from Texas to Idaho and back. The difference in gas mileage was about .2 miles per gallon. Less than a gallon difference.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It's true. I actually noticed slightly better mileage (and I do mean slight) when I went to 4.10s, and I drive mine hard. 3.55s are a complete waste of time and money on our cars, IMO. Remember both that Mach 1 and your girlfriend's terminator are 4v's. They have an entirely different powerband.

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
Loaded said:
Shoot, thats all very convincing and "don't fear the gear" is an easy thing to say for people with a steady income for the raging gas prices.
Very true but you have to pay to play. :wink:

Loaded said:
I drive roughly 120 miles of highway everyday and I work on commission at a part-time job. Thats why 4.10s are definitely out. lol. My shop is pushing the 3.73s but the mach has 3.55s and so does my girlfriend's terminator cobra..(thats right, its insane)..and they seem to do fine..ha ha, afterall, I lost to those 3.55s. My friend that happens to own Top Speed Performance ordered a pretty sick superchip and tuner setup over a month ago but its still not in yet(back order). He has 3.55s in his DD vette and says they are great. I figure it just be an estimate, but how much worse would my gas mileage be with the 3.73s? Don't think I could win with the 3.55s? Another thing, how restrictive are those stock flowmasters?
3:55's will not do it for you. The cars you mentioned are 4V Fords and a Vette. You have a 2V motor. You have alot to make up for.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never figured the 2V to be that much weaker. I mean if its good for the Saleen...lol. Before my buddy sold his 99 cobra I beat him every time with 746 and it just had the JLT and he had pulleys. I understand that the difference in power is there but never thought it was that serious(granted the mach does have bigger cams). Well, I guess the opinion is overwhelming.. negative on the 3.55s. I guess 3.73s would not be too bad on gas... It sounds like rear gears make a pretty big impact on our cars' ability to apply power to the ground. I just hope its enough. Is FRPP the best call?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've heard that Motive whines a bit, but they are a lot cheaper. But then again, maybe someone with Motive gears has some input. I bought FRPP because I know they are of good quality and I race my car rather frequently.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
3.73's are perfect for the DD. Even the magazine tech editors recommend those the most for DD's. I have them and am glad I went with that choice. Don't even bother with the 3.55's, not enough of a change to make you really feel it. You will with the 3.73's.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright folks, I called my shop and he getting me Ford motorsports(which he said is the best) 3.73 gears. He was the same guy that built that mach's transmission and he said that the guy don't deserve the car (doesn't work for a thing, everything on mach given to him by his parents, and he 25 lol!) so he gonna get it for me and put them on right away so I will be set for Saturday night(apparently he don't like the guy either).. Really, it is very difficult justifying to myself spending that much on something that will make my mpg worse. How much worse can I expect honestly? A lot of people are telling me not to do it cause of gas prices but shoot, I really cannot stand getting beat by that guy.. Thnks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
most say no difference in mileage on the highway. How about racing on the track?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Loaded said:
so he gonna get it for me and put them on right away so I will be set for Saturday night.

I've read that a break-in period of 500 miles is recommended after having new gears installed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts