Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new issue of MM&FF mag. They do a dyno test of a Bullitt,then put on BBK long tube headers and off-road H-pipe. They picked up 30 HP and lots of torque everywhere in the RPM range. Power Train Dynamics did the work. I would do the header deal,only if they are stainless steel headers. At my age,I only want to do it once!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is that the Dec issue.I am surprise they even wasted there time bolting stuff on a car they hardly had anything good to say about it in the Nov. issue.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Without seeing the article or verifying results I have an opinion on it.

It could be that the new intake breathes much better than expected. If that's the case then the exhaust on the Bullitts may have become the bottleneck. On a GT the exhaust doesn't add that kind of power because the it's limited by the intake. Free up the intake(Bullitt) and the exhaust needs attention. Am I making any sense? At some point the heads will be become the limiter(not that a P/P won't help now).

If the article is true it means that Ford really has done their homework and built a decent intake for the Bullitt.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey that has to be the article about my BULLITT #01333. When I had my car there in June, Steve Rideout the owner of Powertrain Dynamics asked me if I would mind it if he documented the install and dyno for his friend Richard Holdener of MM&FF to publish in that magazine. Of course I said yes and I even gave him my photos of the install so that he could pass them on to Richard for publishing in the mag. If you guys remember I posted my results when I first joined. Anyway the original story and pictures with the dyno graphs can be viewed at my cheesy website at www.roushraven99.freeservers.com
Oh and on a sour note I do not endorse Powertrain Dynamics or recommend the shop to anyone. In fact, if I wasn't preoccupied with the war effort I would have been able to continue my legal action against Rideout and Powertrain. In any event thanks to representatives of the California Bureau of Automotive Repair I was able to get reimbursement of $905.00 and I still have a good chance at winning a law suit for service that was carried out by Powertrain while they operated without a business lisence. If you want details e-mail me.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting Roushaven!! I wasted my time calling these guys up.Here is what they told me. They had gotten more HP out of a base GT engine with same mods,the base GT intake makes more torque lower in the RPM range. To get the most out of the Bullitt,raise compression to 11 to 1,by using the Cobra pistons,and go to a larger cam. They didn't seem to know the stock cam specs.! Yeah it will run OK on 93 octane with the high compression......I bet!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ford Motor did not build the intake manifold for the Bullitt....The company I previously worked for did the design work, built the permenant mold, cast upper and lower intakes, and machined castings. We also did the Viper upper and lower intake,cyclinder heads, oil pan, differential housing, & block, along with countless other intakes such as the SVO/SVT's.Almost a year ago work had begun on the prototyping of the Mustang "Terminator" intake and I believe the project is a done deal although with changing economic conditions (even in the past)I have seen proto-type parts/cars never make it to production...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Another important note on the "30hp" gain, it wasn't from the bolt-ons alone. The car also had a dyno tuned chip which maximized the gains from the exhaust mods.

The new exhaust probably offered a nice gain, but it's the custom chip that made the gains so impressive.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The chip DID NOT repeat DID NOT add any benefit to the set up. I should know because it is my car. The only thing the chip did was provide gear correction. Don't believe everything you read in MM&FF. The chip which absolutely worked was the one I purchased from Paul's High Performance.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZBulit,,You are THE man!! Tell us more about the inside of the intake. How is the match up of the upper and lower castings? How rough are the runners,internaly? Would any radiusing and blending in the bottom plenum,valley part,be worthwhile?

·
Registered
152 Posts
roushraven99, so you got a 30hp increase from long tube headers and an H pipe? That is impressive. The factory exhaust system must be really restrictive...

/me begins calculating cost to install BBK headers

·
Registered
762 Posts
Rob00GT check this out www.roushraven99.freeservers.com you can see the complete graphs along with what more gains can be added with an underdrive crank pulley. Even more dramatic gains can be had with a PHP chip, the Densecharger, and those mods; unfortunately I don't have access to a dyno yet but the gains are real and measurable. Look back in the mods section where I posted "Paul's High Performance Chip" for all the latest details. information on the gain

·
Registered
835 Posts
Anyone see the e-mail to the editor regarding the"porky" Bullitt? Must be somebody who believes everything that MM&FF writes.

BTW, while having the correct alarm installed in my Expedition this afternoon, my salesman was regaling me with Bullitt vs. Cobra facts. Per Ford factory specs., the Cobra outweighs the Bullitt by 250 lbs. Who's the porky one? He was really interested in the dyno results the members have been getting. This was in light of the fact that most of our intake parts are identical to those on the '01 Lightning except for "minor" variations to account for the enigne displacement difference. He feels there is a lot more HP hiding in our engines than advertised. It's just a matter of finding the one key without having to resort to forced induction.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Roushraven,
Has Paul finished the bullitt Package I heard about? Honed intake and custom burned chip. If you have the Phone Number, or E-mail. I want to look stock but Surprise the LS1 guys at work

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jimmy,
Paul has been very busy with the race season and "other" projects the opening of his newly expanded facility and this year's SEMA. He won't be working on the Bullitt package again until things settle down sometime around mid-November. Here's his e-mail and phone number:

[email protected] (517) 764-7661

Oh by the way he gets lots of e-mails so if you choose that method be sure to include Bullitt in the subject line.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-10-20 03:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
i installed a diablo chip in #4503dhg and it rockd rev out to almost 7000rpm like i stated before with mac cai and mac full exhaust (from manifolds back) i cant wait to do the alum driveshaft and 373 gears then i should be neck and neck with my buddys 2001 cobra(hes since added a chip and full exhaust and k/n filter and removed the silencer) we shall see this car sounds bad as [email protected]# are there any bullitt owners in the va beach area?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joshsdad on 2001-10-24 19:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
584 Posts
roushraven99 would you suggest this mod. Was there just a problem with the shop or the mod? How is the noise. Do worry when you drive around cops? Also, how much did parts and labor cost? How important was the chip/dyno tune? Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts

I absolutely recommend the long tube headers with off road h-pipe mod. Depending on where you go I have seen posts from guys in Texas who had install labor charges from $225.00 $350.00. Unfortunately for me I had my installation performed in California. I do not endorse or otherwise recommend the shop that did my install to anyone for anything. I'll leave the negativity out of our forum but if you want the details e-mail me. As for noise levels I didn't seem to draw any attention in the Orange Co area of CA and I definitely don't have any problems here. As for the dyno/chip I had the car dyno'd before the install for a baseline. Only one pull was made and that was done about one hour after I arrived. A few more were done after the exhaust mods and then some dyno pulls after gears were put in for chip tuning. The tuner was unable at that time to give me any performance increase through the Autologic program manipulation. The only benefit my chip gave me at that time was gear correction. We did one last pull to see if any more could be tweaked out with the BBK performance throttle body and 180 degree thermostat and no further gains were made. In fact with the BBK throttle body the car had serious driveability problems ie sticking throttle and high erratic idle. Everything is sorted now with my current set-up and chip from PHP and I should have another update soon. My current testing show I'm at 265 rear wheel HP and 301.5 rear wheel TQ and a further 40 HP at the wheels is being promised with a package from a stateside tuner in Texas and an unknown amount to come from a different package from PHP in Michigan. Hope this helps, gotta go
Arthur

1 - 18 of 18 Posts