Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took #4456 to another dealer in the D.C. area and they called me today to tell me they think it is 2 bad lifters and that they are going to replace them tomorrow. Coolerking had thought that it might be weak or poorly torqued lifters when we got together that day but decided that it was an injector noise instead. I am praying that this fixes the noise because it would be so sweet to have a tick-free car for once. Keep your fingers crossed, and lets hope that they dont screw something else up fixing the ticking noise :roll:

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's nice to see a some mechanic is actually trying to figure this out. It is so easy for the Ford mechanics to just spout the party line that it is normal, or it's piston slap and nothing can be done. I have a very hard time believing this noise would pass NVH tests in development. How can a car maker build an engine that sounds like it is going to rattle out of the car until it warms up? I hope someone gets this resolved.

Eric

BTW- I drop my car off tonight so I can take a mechanic on a test drive early tomorrow so he can verify the noise before I put LT's and Pulley's on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the ticking noise that i am talking about is not the cold death sound at 3500 rpm's that we are all getting. I get that also but it goes away after 3-5 mins. This ticking noise sounds like very loud injectors or valves...tick tick tick tick and gets louder as more gas is given and it never goes away. It has been a thorn in my side almost from day one. I am betting that there were a few lifters that didnt get torqued to specs at the factory that day by billy bob the drunken factory worker. :smile:

·
Registered
394 Posts
MY Bad,

I've read your posts about that before. For some reason I thought you were referring to the optional "Death Rattle" feature.

Eric

·
Registered
102 Posts
I too have the sound Escrotumus is talking about, I sincerely hope you have found the fix, it is very annoying.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Escrotumus

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for ya. Hopefully they rectify the problem without damaging anything.

Keep us posted. :smile:

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 4.6L does not have any lifters ?? A Mechanic told you that they are going to adjust the lifters ???? Stay away from that Dealer! It seems however, we are getting closer to solving this "death rattle" but sometimes it seems the Techs/Ford are going backwards. I believe it does have something to do with the heads but I have no idea what. Keep us all posted with any pertinent information guys. Thank You all for continuing to try to find a solution to this problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does have lifters, i have been told this by multiple people. Im not sure where you got your info from hoofbeat but it uses lifters and they are ordering the parts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The lifters are hydraulic lifters, and they pump up with oil pressure. My experience with collapsed lifters is a tapping sound. This sound is sharper, quicker- hence "clicking". Based on everything I know (little) and have listened to on my engine (much), it sounds like it is coming from the injectors. It comes and goes without apparent reason. I am not going to worry- I will keep an eye on things but I am not going to obssess over a noise that has been explained by Hyde and other knowledgable folks. I don't think it is fruitful to second-guess the combined engineering expertise of FOMOCO when we don't have anything harmful we can point a finger at.

Don

Don

·
Registered
22 Posts
The noises shouldn't be such a worry unless you can't here your powerstroke diesel next to your car or the slippery stuff is running out the hole in the side. When the parts fly the dealer should be able to diagnois the noise easier. Just make sure it happens prior to 36000 miles.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well its not so much that im worried as i am annoyed by the sound. It is the only thing i can hear when i am driving with the windows up. The sound is not normal and never goes away. I am going to do whatever it takes to get it fixed because IMO it is a precursor to something else major that could go wrong. Any noise that is abnormal in a car should be looked at and fixed. Leaving an abnormal noise alone just because its not causing a leak is the same as not going to the doctor if you have a lump just because you dont feel bad. Its not a smart thing to do IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I shouldn't be such a smart ass. Actually I spent 16 years as a Ford dealer service manager before recently moving to a Harley store. The real problem is numerous dealerships have good techs who don't get the opportunity to address a customers concern because of management and service desk issues. Don't be afraid to inquire about a dealerships Customer Satisfaction Scores to see if they actually fix other customers vehicles. Also ask about the level of training and experience of the tech they plan to have diagnois the car. If they are put out by your requests, you may be at the wrong shop. The Ford tech hotline will lead them to many undesirable experiments if they haven't isolated the root cause. Don't be afraid to ask to be advised prior to engine teardown. Second opinions are not out of the question. Just try to be sure they are qualified. If you still aren't comfortable, turn up the tunes and drive it till the slippery stuff sprays.

·
Registered
198 Posts
the lifters aren't really lifters; they are "cam followers" and serve virtually the same purpose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts