Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I decided to take my Bullitt out for a spin Friday night when I made a crucial mistake; I jumped in the driver seat. I have never had so many cars try to race me. And the Bullitt's performance didn't shine like it should have (which I got chewed out for). Steve told me I don't rev it up high enough, it takes me took long to shift and I don't get good starts. "If you're going to let an inferior car beat you, don't even try to race". My husband said "THE BULLITT HAS A REPUTATION TO UPHOLD"! Is that true fellow Bullittheads? I then relinquished the driver seat and 20 minutes later Steve toasted a Z28. It was kindof fun...guess I'm going to need a lot of driving lessons to maximize my Bullitt's finer points...

·
Registered
151 Posts
You know, I have to admit, I am haveing the same problem. I do not know how to race a car. This car is the first one that is actually fast. My last 3 cars were a V-6 Mustang, a Explorer, and a Probe. So this is all going to be new to me. I do not even know the correct shift points when racing. I just drive each gear until it whines, then change. If someone knows what Tach number for shifting each gear is, I would love to try it out this afternoon. :grin:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey... it takes practice. It is really important to build the RPM's to red line before a shift and then to nail the clutch almost in sink to throwing your shift. You will find that the Bullitt will then just explode and respond! I jumped onto a busy highway the other day from a full stop with a ton of traffic and I can tell you I had to have hit that 5.4 sec. 0 to 60.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, by no means do I consider myself a GREAT race driver, however...

90% of winning a race is in the LAUNCH...if you blow it, it is nearly impossible to recover against a similarly equipped car.

The other 10% is KNOWING YOUR CAR. Redlining before shifhting is not always gonna be best. I personally have been driving RWD V8's for years. You really have to get a feel for the individual car. Try to think of your feet as actual components of a car and let your instincts take over. As your experience behind the wheel grows so will that instinctive nature. (Use the force, Luke.)

That being said, remember this: There is always someone faster out there! Don't feel to bad if you don't win 'em all!

Good Luck and Drive (Race) Safe!

Joe Schwartz
DHG #00238

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I think I need to spend more time behind the wheel, getting used to the feel of the car. My Bullitt only has 1,000 miles on her, she's pratically brand new. I still enjoy driving soooooooooo much, even though I don't fully maximize the potential. Wow, what a car!!!!!!!!

-Christine-
DHG#4930

·
Registered
360 Posts
Christine, this is my 1st fast car too, although I have always had a tendency to drive too fast. I just keep practicing, find open roads, build on skills. I have only raced once and lost (to a Cobra so I didn't feel TOO bad about it) but the time for #2832's first kill will come. I would suggest practicing w/o a passenger, maybe you don't need a critic right now :wink:

·
Registered
501 Posts
I shift at about 5500 rpm, if you redline in the bullitt the engin will bogg on its on to keep from blowing...listen to the engin while shifting and looking at tac.Be Safe inexperience causes crashes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Try to fine a straight road where there isn't a lot of traffic and practice,practice,practice until you and the car are as one.Listen to the engine,it will tell you when to shift, it is by far a sit of the pants driving.If you want to smoke the tyres turn TC off,but don't forget to reengage it when back on the street,or you could be another 929.

·
Registered
302 Posts
the only reputation you have to worry about is the one you carry with you every day. it doesn't matter what you drive but how you drive. someone once said winning is everything and in some aspects it's true however you have to remember that endangering others and acting like an idiot makes the taste of victory sour. take your time do it right, practice does make perfect, and remember be carefull word of some idiot behind the wheel goes around faster than a win or loss.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i believe that was Vince Lombardi who said
"Winning is Everything!"(not sure but i think)

·
Registered
360 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-10 12:19, mystang99 wrote:
i believe that was Vince Lombardi who said
"Winning is Everything!"(not sure but i think)

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually, I think he said "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
that's it Tracey!!
apologies to ALL the cheeseheads!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
All those history of football shows my hubby makes me watch with him are finally paying off :grin:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know much about drag racing (I come from a road racing background) but over there the car is usually less than half the story. At a track event, we group cars by experience level, not speed of the car. The difference in speed in the run groups is large, and when I graduated to a new run group, I had to get used to being blown off the track until I got my game up to snuff! It really did not matter which car I was driving, although a big motor helps on a 'faster' track. Running 'sticky' or 'race' tires made more difference than the car.

My point is, I'm sure drag racing requires skills that not everyone has, so why does the car make that much difference?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts