Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I've been looking around on this board for a month or two since registering our company car, #4502 (one of the slower black ones, but we'll fix that!:wink:)and have enjoyed the spirit of the board.

Back to that "company car" part - My company, Fallbrook Technologies, Inc, is a company that developed a continuously variable transmission (CVT) technology that is sold under the NuVinci brand for bicycles. Yes, the kind you peddle :shock:. Although we're enjoying a lot of success in the bike market in Europe, and plan to be there for a long time, the company is made up primarily of car guys, with a heavy Ford flavor in both the executive and engineering staffs. When our Bullitt showed up on the local Ford dealer's internet specials site, we just couldn't stand it any more and decided it was time to do a supercharger drive.

I just dropped the car off with Pro Modular Performance here in Austin today to do the baseline testing and supercharger install & tune (in conjunction with Mike Murillo Motorsports in San Antonio). Once they get done, the car will come back to us at Fallbrook for the prototype variable speed drive installation and initial re-tune, no doubt we will be back working with Kirk and Mike on the tune as we get the CVT fully functional. We're targeting SEMA '09 to introduce the car this Fall. The Boss let the cat out of the bag to Motor Trend's Frank Markus last week, so now it's git 'r done or else! :surprised You can read the article Frank wrote here.

So, what good is a CVT for a supercharger, and if it's so great, why hasn't anyone else done it? Well, several people have tried, starting with McCulloch back in the '50's and '60's. Theirs worked well enough, until about 5k rpm, at which point their old tech CVT slipped. Ours won't. Several automotive suppliers and OEMs have tried various types of CVT's, but they were all some combination of heavy, delicate, expensive and hard to package in the available space. Our CVT is unique in that it is cheap, rugged, and packages somewhat like a large pulley, so it is a natural for the SC app.

We are planning to use a ProCharger kit for our project, but the base technology can work for any SC. The presence of the CVT will appear to the supercharger as a 350% pulley range - in other words, we can build boost faster at lower speeds without overspeeding the blower on the top end.

Before anyone asks "What will it cost?" I have to tell you that, as of right now, this is a demonstration project to gauge interest in many markets. Having said that, we are pretty open to selling CVT SC drives into the aftermarket if there is enough interest and potential! That is why we are going to SEMA. It also helps to have a CEO who drives a SuPerformance Cobra replica, a Board member who's the former head of Product Development for Jaguar/Land Rover (they use more Roots SC's than anyone else) and a VP-PD who has raced something or other since high school. We all tend to think a bit alike on things like the Bullitt project! :D

If there's any interest here on the board and the mods don't mind, I thought I would use this thread to keep you all posted on our progress with this little adventure. Let me know if you're interested, and you can also read more about our company here in the mean time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nevermind, I reread it and it answered my question.

Sounds neat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cdynaco said:
It would be really great if it gets rid of that sissy whine! :lol:
At first, it won't simply because we are doing this on a tight schedule. Getting rid of the whine (most of which comes from their gear drives) will come later.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I always thought the whine was one of the coolest things and let cars know to get the heck out of the way.
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rob, very interesting project, indeed! Those of us with superchargers will definitely be interested in how your CVT unit progresses over time!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, I'm very interested too. Do keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Interesting for a Centrifugal type supercharger. Totally unnecessary with a twin-screw. There's already so much low end torque that traction is a problem. Make sure you take this into account. Power without traction is like nudie magazines and a bottle of KY, think about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jymontoya said:
Interesting for a Centrifugal type supercharger. Totally unnecessary with a twin-screw. There's already so much low end torque that traction is a problem. Make sure you take this into account. Power without traction is like nudie magazines and a bottle of KY, think about it.
Yes, we have thought thru the options for twin screw blowers as well. One might be to use the variable speed drive as traction control - pull off a little boost in 1st and 2nd, then pour on even more boost in the higher gears. There are many other advantages to use on twin screw units that I can't go into right now, stay tuned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update #1: Thanks for everyone's interest! We've been busy with some travel, so we've gotten off to a slow start. We did a baseline dyno run on the car, ~1,200 miles on it, 93 octane in the tank, no other mods. Two runs gave an average of 278 max RWHP, 289.5 max RWTQ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts