Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

A topic for the BULLITTs dyno results?

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  dans30thta 
#1 ·
I put a post in the suggestion area but i think is better here.

What does everyone think about having a Topic put in The garage area on this site for BULLITTs that have been Dynoed? I think we need an area like this to prove that we have more then JUST 5 more HP that the GT. We are getting bad press about the 5 HP over the GT.

So what does everyone think?

#2 ·
One more thing. When i was at the dyno shop on friday a guy came over to me and the person doing the dyno.He said OH you have a BULLITT? OH your having it dynoed because the BULLITT is having the same lose in HP like the 1999 COBRAs? :mad:

#4 ·
excellent idea Ray!

I'm shocked by the bad press. From what I've seen in the real world (and not some magazine article), 4 out of 5 bullitts are dynoing 232-236rwhp and 270-274rwtq. And all with VERY LITTLE mileage and the original oil. Thats 273-278 crank hp and 318-322 crank tq!! I call that delivering the goods.

And besides, the peak numbers only tell half the story. The curves are without a doubt flatter than the GT's with a more effective powerband. I ran several bolt-on GT's making MORE peak hp/tq than the Bullitt, and I never lost a race. I ran an 00 that dynoed 250rwhp/289rwtg and I PULLED him down the track, even after traction wasn't a factor.

What would be really cool is to overlay GT dyno graphs over similiar peak number Bullitt graphs. I bet that would graphically confirm what I've already witnessed at the track.

#5 ·
I've had plenty of people ask me how much more horsepower the Bullitt has over a GT. I always explain that there's not a specific #, and that peak hp is only marginally better than a GT, but that Ford was very successful in increasing low end torque to improve acceleration.

I am wondering though how Bullitt #12 ran a 13.66 in the 1/4 mile when it was new and fresh, but most Bullitt owners are reporting runs from 14.00 to 14.50 (with rare exception). That's no better than a standard 5 speed GT coupe. And while a couple of you have run 13.80's, so have I.

I mean no disrespect about the 1/4 mile times. I love the Bullitt and am considering whether to trade in for one currently, but I'm just not seeing any extra power or torque manifest itself in the 1/4 mile.

#6 ·
Actually, Paul Svinicki's times at Atlanta were very much in line with JBVobra's times in Houston. Pauls first run was a 13.79 stock on stock tires and the 13.66 @ 100.? was stock with slicks. As for the torque manifesting itself I think that is well proven by quite a few dyno reports and graphs on this site. As for why some drivers are reporting low 14.0's I can't say however, Paul is a very experienced racer and knows a lot about the Bullitt and mod motors in general.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-07-16 02:39 ]</font>

#7 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-16 01:56, Five Oh B wrote:

I mean no disrespect about the 1/4 mile times. I love the Bullitt and am considering whether to trade in for one currently, but I'm just not seeing any extra power or torque manifest itself in the 1/4 mile.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

good grief, why don't you wait awhile before making sweeping generalizations about the performance. I've made a total of 12 passes in 90+ degree heat and humidity and trapped over 101mph 5 of those 12 times. That looks considerably stronger than your car, especially with the fact that I seriously doubt Kent, Washington sees many 104+ heat index days. And don't forget the fact that my car only had 575 miles and the original oil. Much more is in the car come winter.

How many miles did you have when you made your best pass? What was the weather like? Have you ever trapped over 100? the trap speed is the true indicator of power, the et is more traction based. My 13.83 came on a 2.167 60ft. Not exactly great.

#8 ·
Take a look at my runs in the Drag strip section. I ran pretty consistant low 14's at 98-99 and I've never been to a track before in my life. That's on a VERY bad track that everyone was complaining about and under less than ideal conditions. I made almost all of my passes one after another with no cool down. I'd make a run come back down the return lane and line up again with no wait. I also had someone tell me that my "Corrected" numbers (for what that's worth) would be 13.6 @ 103. Also take a look at what the modded LS1 was running that day for comparison. He ran a best of 13.5 @ 104 and he had a cam, airbox mod, computer chip, and headers. I'd say that on a better day with a better track that even an inexperienced schmuck like myself could pull out a 13.5 at well over 100. Time will tell though.

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-07-16 13:11 ]</font>

#9 ·
Thank you for setting me straight. I see the light now!

#10 ·
Keep in mind that the torque increase the Bullitt has,is being lost in tire slip,poor traction,at most local tracks,when running on the stock rear tires. I talked to Paul about his runs,and he indicated to me,that he was using 4th gear. Well my fastest runs have been in 3rd gear. When I try 4th at 4500 to 5000 RPM shift point,I go slower by a couple MPH. Just running out of track before the RPM get back up. Now I know what I like about my 85 LX,with 351W and automatic tranny.....It is so easy to launch! I will keep looking for that magic 13 sec. run,maybe when cooler weather arrives,and or a better track!

#12 ·
I am and I think I suggested this a good while back. It will be good for reference.

#15 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-18 15:56, dans30thta wrote:
The guy with the LS-1 with a Cam & Headers was only running 104mph?? He had a SERIOUS Problem..I ran a 13.03@108.29mph with just an Exhaust Cut out & M/T ET Streets

sorry dan, but thats pretty ignorant to be throwing out times with ET streets when everyone else in this thread is referring to street tires. Maybe the day was hot, the track was slippery, who knows??

#16 ·
Yup.. that's right.. But I also stated, in the drag racing forum, that the 8 second rail couldn't break out of the 10's. The track was slick that day. I've got the timeslips for my runs against him. I got him twice due to bad launches on his part but he could only run a best of 13.6 @ 104.9.
The 2 runs I got him on were like this. His times are first...
14.39/103.66 vs 14.18/99.07
14.22/104.32 vs 14.005/98.46

He beat me on the other runs. I saw his mods and talked to him for a while too. He was a really nice guy. Dark blue '01 Z28. We all had street tires, normal tire pressure. but the track wouldn't co-operate.

Remember.. if you can't hook it doesn't matter if you're running 1000hp.

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-07-18 17:41 ]</font>

#18 ·
I am getting close, 12.48@100mph not being able to shift to 4th...I would have run a 12.1@115 but I didnt so?? I got my Centershit clutch finally fixed, So i will DEFINATELY be in the 11's...Not to be ignorant I ran 13.86@104mph on street tires..bone stock 1900 miles, & had not driven a stick in 6 years..so do the math. I don't care what the temp was outside with that LS-1 with heads & headers He should have run higher trap speeds..He definately had a problem or didnt know how to drive..Remember trap speeds show HP, no matter how hot it is

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dans30thta on 2001-07-18 18:06 ]</font>

#19 ·
Both he and his Dad ran the car a bunch of times. Again.. teh best driver in the world ain't gonna get squat if he can't launch. And he was trapping high. I had someone from one of the other boards tell me that I was running a corrected 13.8 @ 102 (I'll have to check again to be certain) So who knows what the Z was running corrected.
And he had headers, an airbox mod, cam and Chip and an Automatic. No heads.. Just headers.

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-07-18 18:08 ]</font>

#20 ·
On 2001-07-18 18:02, dans30thta wrote:
Not to be ignorant I ran 13.86@104mph on street tires..bone stock 1900 miles, & had not driven a stick in 6 years..

>

dan, I ran 13.83 at 101.52 bonestock bullitt, 575 miles on odometer. I guess a bullitt can beat an ls1 TA in the 1/4, hmmm?? :grin:

just kidding with you dan. I've learned from these boards that if you go into enemy territory, be prepared for some bumps in the road. Not everyone is going to welcome you with open arms, especially when you really haven't had one constructive comment concerning the bullitt, right?

#21 ·
You wont get a good ET if you don't get a good 60ft time, some people do if they have high HP cars, but if you spinning off the line you will still get a good mph..I had a 94 Trans am running 12.50@106..The car didnt have much HP, but i was able to get 1.7 60fts..thats the key to good ET'S..Now i Did 12.68@114 with a 2.060ft..So see, comparable et's but way more MPH because this car has way more power

#23 ·
So Dan just what is your point??? So what if your 30th TA has the capability for running low 12's or even high 11's. You paid dearly for it so by all means you should. We Bullitt owners have never stated that we are the kings of the streets or strips. What we have said is that we have a great car that is an all around performer with yet unknown potential. On the street or strip a win is often times due to the skill of the driver and environmental factors and not necessarily HP alone. Why antagonize??? Enjoy your TA and if you see a Bullitt on the road go for it if the driver is up to it!!! Save the trolling for forums that you really should be worried about and join us in constructive appreciation of our equally awesome (in their own way) cars. Pass the peacepipe bro'

#24 ·
There is now a category under "Garage" for Dyno results. To keep it structured and easily viewed, take a look at the example I created. I think there should be a topic for each car, listed as I have it. That way its easy to look through the various cars.

Comments?

B-Man

#25 ·
On 2001-07-18 18:25, dans30thta wrote:
I like the bullitt..My good friends Wife has one..Nice retro look..It's just not something I would buy:)..I know the flames will come & I know I am in enemy territory

Well, the question begs to be asked.. So what are you doing on a Bullitt Club website? :wink:

BTW: Is your friend's wife on here? Get her over here, we could use another BullittHead! :smile: Also, what is her Bullitt number?

B-Man

#26 ·
[/quote]

Well, the question begs to be asked.. So what are you doing on a Bullitt Club website? :wink:

I originally came on to make a comment about the person that said he beat the crap out of a "SOUPED UP FIRECHICKEN"..I never did get the year of that car..I just wanted to say that it would be hard for a STOCK BULLITT to Hand a souped up LS-1 his ass driving on the highway..I am not antagonizing..I just wanted to make my point & I think I did that...My friend is on here, I think he goes bt GREGG VH...I have nothing against you people...I came to say what I had to say....I can appreciate a RARE vehicle like you guys have...Just make sure you drive the darn things & not let them rot..Peace :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.