Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent 4.5 hours changing my oil, washing my car, and cleaning the interior today. I had HOPED to wax it as well, but ran out of time. I was going to wash it outside (duh), then move it into the garage for wax. (not really wax, Zaino bros Z.1 aand Z.2) I thought I could keep ahead of the raging sun, and keep the car wet enough (with repeated sprayings) to avoid any water spots. I think I actually succeeded, but then I couldn't dry it faster than it dried in the sun. :evil:

It looks like my paint isn't TOO badly spotted, but my windshield looks like I was TRYING to spot it. AAARRRGH!

So, will these single layer, single washing spots come off when I wax, or do I need to use the vinegar trick (which I've never done, but I've heard of) to get rid of them? I should be able to avoid driving it until prospective wax time, but if I do I will wash it again regardless.

Vinegar? Wax and go? Rewash? Help me O' Gurus of Cleaning!!

Thanks!

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
joe, have you tried Eagle's "Touch Up" product? ( i think Mother's and Meguires makes one too) it's supposed to allow you to touch up spots and blemishes between washes and waxes. if your car is pretty clean you're supposed to be able to use it without doing or using anything else. i just bought a bottle yesterday so i can't tell you yet how well it works!

2001 Bullitt DHG #648

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-09 17:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've actually been using the EAGLE-1 product for a few weeks now. I'm left with a LOT of water spots all over the car, probably as a result from the "hard" water at my house. Anyway, after applying the touch-up product, it's good as new. The only complaint is that it's not a whole lot less work than actually waxing, but it definitely does the trick and works great. As far as the windshield, I've had water spots since the very first wash and they're only now starting to come out with the help of Mother's window cleaner. It actually seems more like a "glass polish". Works very well.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
DHG-1934, I'm in the same boat as you. I washed the car the other night, clay barred it, and waashed it again. Then I got it dried off to Zaino it and couldn't keep the water from pouring out of the seams. I got it Z1'd and Z5'd and left it overnight.

Next day hard water spots everywhere and the damn Z5 still was not dry. Now if I leave it to dry for a day or two, its all dusty and needs to be washed again :mad: And the cycle starts over again. I can't figure out how to keep it clean while waiting for it to dry.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
01GTB, park it on an good incline as soon as you are finished washing it. 98% of the water from the c-pillars, side mirrors,hood scoop, and other hidden "waterholders" will continue to "leak" out as you are drying the rest of the vehicle leaving only a few waterspots to deal with later!!! that's working for me right now

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-09 17:44, mystang99 wrote:
01GTB, park it on an good incline as soon as you are finished washing it. 98% of the water from the c-pillars, side mirrors,hood scoop, and other hidden "waterholders" will continue to "leak" out as you are drying the rest of the vehicle leaving only a few waterspots to deal with later!!! that's working for me right now

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the first few times I washed it, I did it at the house with a nice steep driveway. Unfortunately I have to do the polishing at the shop 5 miles away and it seems to get dusty from the short drive. I have also used one of my Shindaiwa backpack blowers to dry it. 201MPH and 630 CFM at the end of the pipe tends to dry it reather quickly :lol: Don't know how safe that is though, the hood scoop tends to look like it's blowing off when I do that.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Ahh the fingerprints!! I was wondering when someone would bring that up. I am constantly wiping them off,using the Mequire's Spray/Detailer. Good stuff for bugs and all too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have owned three white cars in a row and allways thought I just liked the color because it was cooler. At one time(back in 1972) I had a black 71 Grand prix and it didn't seem it was as hard as the dhg to keep clean. Or maybe back then my car payment wasn't $500.00 and I had "other" things on my mind on Friday nights!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know this won't help everyone, but you all may recall that I built a new house about the time I got my Bullitt. I had the builder install a utility sink in my garage that was plumbed to the water softener. A cheap little adapter on the faucet, hook up the garden hose and bingo - I am washing the Bullitt with warm soft water! That and a Chamois cloth, and the CatSmashin-mobile is as good a new!
Smartest thing I ever did and worth every penny.
It has been about two and a half months now and this weekend the Bullitt is going to get a good wax job.

The CatSmasher

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Catsmasher, that was good thinking :smile:

I had considered buying a few cases of spring water to rinse it off with :grin: Then I re-thought it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-08-09 23:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been using Eagle 1 wipe and shine to get rid of spots. It works great. I park on the driveway so it drains the scoop, but I dry the little wells under the trunk lid by hand. Water really pools up there, at least until you drive it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tips, all. Eagle 1 is available at any auto store, I presume?

Hopefully it will do the trick...

Joe

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Eagle One is at most every auto store. Even sold at Meijer's.

For Water Spots Especially from the Hood and Tail, What I've Found that works for me is to park the car on an incline. Dry the hood first and prop it up. It's work out real well. After I'm finished drying up the car I go back to the front and close the hood. I'll put a shami in the scoop and come back in a hour to look and spray the Eagle one if needed. For the trunk I get a rag to soak up all the water that will accumulate in there.

·
Registered
959 Posts
A good tip for preventing water spots when washing. Do not use a spray head. I have a length of hose with the end cut off(doesn't hurt the car if you hit it with the hose).

Turn water on. When you rinse, control the flow out the hose by crimping it a couple of feet back so you sheet the water over the car. Sheeting will leave much fewer droplets on the car requiring very litle work in toweling it off.

Brian

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
rain-x has a car wash product that eliminates all waterspots. i used it this weekend and it works great.and in the hot texas sun too at 7pm

·
Registered
224 Posts
Speaking of Rain-X, I love the stuff!

·
Registered
354 Posts
CatSmasher's got the right idea...

I've got a soft water conditioner also, and an exterior faucet that's plumbed into my interior cold water. This has solved all of my water spot problems at the source.

For wax, Zaino is the only way to go.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobra 427 on 2001-08-13 18:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
821 Posts
Some wonderful tips for preventing water spots but my question is...what if you've already got them? I've done a search here on the site but can't find much...maybe I'm not doing in correctly.

My water spots are smathered all over the hood, from hood scoop to grill Pony. They were the result of my last car wash and I thought I let the scoop dry long enough, but I didn't. I want to use my Zaino this weekend, but am not sure how to get this large area of water spots off my hood, it's "run down" water spots, running the length of my hood and left to right of the hood scoop also.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts