Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On most cars I have driven when you first turn on the AC the compressor kicks in and the engine staggers for a split second. But with the Bullitt every 5-15 seconds I would guess I can hear a tick or hiss. At first I thought it was the AC dripping on the manifold but then I noticed the engine staggering every time it did it.

Is this normal or should I call the dealer?

Thanks
2001 Bullitt #3033 DHG
1998 Formula Firebird Ram-Air Mystic Teal

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-08-08 00:27 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
gregg, i think it's normal. the condenser "cycles" on/off on all car AC systems. it's always been noticable to me on Fords. some cars are probably more noticable than others 9 if it was a Lexus, it probably wouldn't be as noticable)but i haven't really noticed it being any different than my 99 GT.......
i will pay more attention though and if i hear anything unusual, i will respond back!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The A/C tick is normal...I have it too, it's the gear mechanism in the A/C unit kicking in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The sticking started on my Bullitt two days ago after a trip up to San Francisco. I didn't run the air conditioner (had the fan going a couple times), but since I got back on Saturday, that every 15-30 second tick from the dash just appeared out of nowhere. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I have had a '88 Mustang GT, a '91 Lincoln Mark VII, and a '95 SHO. I have NEVER heard of this before in any of those cars. This does not sound "normal" to me.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have never heard ticking from the dash...I would have to agree that that is not normal. The A/C ticking is audible from the engine compartment area where the A/C unit is. I would have the 'dash ticking' checked out...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Okay, I have no A/C problems with my 305. The ticking noise is not normal and it should be looked at it maybe vent motor or loose door vents. when you first turn on the A/C the engine RPM will change and it will adjust its self. but it should constantly changing RPM. Maybe low on R134A have it checked out by dealer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
same problem here. It just started doing this two days ago. last night i got the windows tinted, so i couldnt roll the windows down and all i could hear is the a/c compressor cutting on and off VERY OFTEN. I had it on max, i thought that would save the compressor from cutting on as much. It was brought to my attention, because the car would speed up, and slow down. then i cut the radio off and noticed that now i can hear the compressor cutting on and off.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
When the compressor max pressure switch hits, it shuts off. Doesn't matter if the it is the dash A/C knov is max or not. The max vent position ONLY switches you between some fresh air or total recirculation of the inside air. I will post a link later that does a real good job of explaining the weird stuff they have to overcome with auto AC because of the constant changing compessor RPMS and a bunch of other stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i had a chevy YEARS ago that had a speedo cable that made noise from behind the dash but i can't think if anything else that might do that. could it be some kind of a continuous or "uniformly happening" rattle or vibration??/ i don't imagine so since you know your car but thought i'd throw it out

·
Registered
98 Posts
My car makes the tick with power loss without the A/C on! It's only done this twice but it TICKS me off. I've got a list started for when I go in for my oil change. I owned an 91 Explorer (money pit piece of crap) and swore i'd never buy another Ford, but who could resist the Bullitt?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Totally normal .. my 01 gt does it ... my 01 bullitt does it ... my dads 01 ranger does and my moms 01 super crew does it ... like they tell ya at the dealer NPF that means no problem found ... until the warranty is over ...

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
My A/C fan started ticking, ended up being the fan motor was bad

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
My A/C fan started ticking, ended up being the fan motor was bad

·
Registered
199 Posts
My AC has a tick when the fan is in either the highest or second highest position. I have not had a chance to get it checked out yet, but due to the symtoms I assume it is the fan motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the A/C ticking as well. I suspect its normal.

I noticed in the manual that the A/C runs when you use the defrost or defrost+floor settings if the outside temperature is above 43 degrees, to de-humidify the air. This might explain why some people thought they had the A/C ticking all the time (or at least at times other than when the A/C is on).

Scott
DHG #1823

1 - 17 of 17 Posts