Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what the actual width of the stock rims are?I have heard that they are actually 17X8.5 . If this is true why does ford say that they are 17x8.Reason i am asking is i want to run a 255/40/17 tire and they are rated for a minimum 8.5 inch wide wheel. THANKS

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Hey goober, the size is 17x8. the measurement comes on the inside of the wheel where the tire bead meets the inside edge of the of the wheel. you can run the size you want and up to 275/40s without much sidewall bulge. Hope this helps you. I had 275/40-17 drag radials on mine and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I'm running 255/40/17's front and rear. They're different bramds though, so the rears are a little narrower than the fronts. I have no issues running on the stock rims at all. It looks like that's the size of tire that should've come on the stock wheels. Still have some rim protection and the sidewalls don't bulge. Again, different brands are different actual sizes. I have Fulda Quantum Elite's up front and Falken's in the back. The Falken's look quite a bit narrower and almost stretched over the wheel where the Fulda's look perfect.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
bullitt00623 said:
Does anybody know what the actual width of the stock rims are?I have heard that they are actually 17X8.5 . If this is true why does ford say that they are 17x8.Reason i am asking is i want to run a 255/40/17 tire and they are rated for a minimum 8.5 inch wide wheel. THANKS
A it's 17x8 as noted
B however makes the tires is a moron. 8in wheel fits MORE than perfectly.

This pic of my car shows the said size. The bulge looks pretty good here, but looks less in other pics.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
Ezekiel, You just need some spacers on the back wheels.
yeah, I've considered it, but haven't for 2 reasons.

A. I'm cheap, lol :D I would get the best set I could find, probably like Eibach or something.
B. Don't want to screw with the handling. If I widened the rear track, I assume a small/large change in handling would occur. Either increase/decrease oversteer/understeer (not sure), so I just haven't bothered. Right now, it handles beautifully :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts