Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is T-Mo and I am a heretic.....
Yes, I have altered the exhaust system on my Bullitt. Being ever so susceptible to peer pressure I cracked and followed Ratman to the dark side and just put on a set of Pypes muffler deletes. He is a bad influence :lol:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wangotango43 said:
Hi, my name is T-Mo and I am a heretic.....
Yes, I have altered the exhaust system on my Bullitt. Being ever so susceptible to peer pressure I cracked and followed Ratman to the dark side and just put on a set of Pypes muffler deletes. He is a bad influence :lol:

T-Mo,
Welcome to the Dark Side!! I actually researched carefully my options before getting the Pypes. I found the Ford Racing mufflers, that cost $700, were only 5db quieter than the deletes, which cost less than half. Having owned a '68 GT390, I can say truthfully that my '08 sounds virtually the same. The only problem I have run into is that after investing nearly three grand in my Pioneer system, I still like cruising with the windows down so I can listen to the sweet sound of a real pony car. Last suggestion; save those stock mufflers; someday you may want to go back to stock.
Ratman

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree, save all the factory parts no matter what you change. I recall that factory cast iron exhaust manifolds for the 60's muscle cars became quite an item in the 80's cause everybody had chucked them when they put on headers!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I live in a neighborhood with a lot of folks who were teenagers in the 1950s. Are these muffler delete Pypes loud enough to rejuvenate the neighbors?:lol:

Reactions: RCSignals

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yes, I will be saving all of the parts. I'll clean'em, box'em and put them in the attic with numerous sets of bike exhaust I have up there :smile: . What is great is that it would not that big of chore to put them back on. I would even consider doing it for a special occasion if I wanted to be truly stealthy. :toocool:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I was reading a thread over on TMS, a guy claimed his ears rang after driving his Mustang with Pypes Violators (I think that's what he said he had) Also that they had a lot of 'drone'.
He was worried about hearing loss and went back to stock mufflers.

Anyone with changed exhaust experience anything like that?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I put on pypes violators today,no drone at all and it has that bullitt sound still.Just awesome!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First thoughts on the Pypes I added. I have had on the pipes for four days now and here are some quick thoughts.

Are they loud? Yes they are. I now let her roll out of the garage before starting her up and for the first time since I had the car I thought it best not to drive it to church this morning. :smile:

But too loud? I have found cruising on the interstate at 65 -70 I get more wind noise from the open windows than the exhaust noise. I also think the noise level of the exhaust forces me to be "behave" using the throttle. Before I was under heavy acceleration a lot just to hear the note. Now, I try to be a little softer on the throttle to try not to draw too much attention, but when I do get to open'er up it is sweet.

While I like the sound level I'm not sure that I like the idea that everyone knows when I come and go. For me the jury is still out, but for now it is still cranked up to 11 :lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Has anyone considered installing exhaust cutouts while retaining the original OEM Bullitt mufflers? I don't know enough mechanics to render an opinion, but I would imagine one could switch them off while driving in neighborhoods and around town and then open them up when on the interstate. Might they adversely affect the torque on the Bullitt to run them open and loud?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts