Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scott wrote this editorial and would like us to comment on it. I will forward comments to him.

Adding more fire power to the Bullitt<o></o>
In January 2000, Ford Motor Company slipped a skunk works special Mustang into the Los Angeles Auto show. In memory of the famous ‘68 Dark Highland Green Mustang fast back driven by Lt. Frank Bullitt, Ford showed off an understated, sleek and purposeful combination that took people back in time remembering the powerful American muscle icon. The show property was an instant hit; in fact, it was quite a surprise to the media and to us on Mustang product development team. I remember receiving a call from a member of the media asking for details of the car, when it will be produced, how much horsepower it made, etc. I had no idea what he was talking about, as I didn’t know of the car and had not seen it. So I asked him to send me a digital picture so I could comment.
<o></o>
With the picture in hand, it didn’t take long to discover that Sean Tant (Mustang Design Manager) had been the driver of this show property. Sean explained that he was told that there was “a spot” available in the Ford display at the LA Auto Show and was asked to develop a property to fill that spot. Now, here’s the kicker: he was given this information right as the Company was shutting down for the Christmas Holiday. In 2000 the LA Auto show was in the beginning of January, so guess what Sean got for Christmas….he got to thrash with a small team of designers and fabricators to develop what we now know as the Bullitt show car. Needless to say Sean and his team did a great job on the car and they opened the door for us to add some meat and potatoes to the visual statement the car was making.
<o></o>
Over the past 8 years Ford Motor Company has made some significant changes to its organization, product line and strategy for “special edition Mustangs”. The Mustang is the world’s strongest automotive brand and one of the most modified vehicles around. It is supported by the probably the largest enthusiast aftermarket in terms of products and publications - Pretty darn cool if you ask me! This is why Ford is taking such a serious look at keeping the Mustang product exciting. By the time you read this issue, you will no doubt have heard that the next “special edition” Mustang to roll off the line is the 2008 Bullitt which picks up from the queues established with the 2001 Bullitt. The question I am being asked daily by current Bullitt owners is if the 2008 version of this Mustang is “special” enough to wear the Bullitt Badge. Well, when answering this question, we are reminded Ford has a very rigorous process they need to follow and internal “rules” that must be satisfied before a product can be shipped – often limiting the amount of “tweaking” on a product to meet a wide customer base. That said, the 2008 Bullitt Mustang, in my opinion, is a great starting point and provides a good foundation to become a world class special edition car.
<o></o>
The question I have is should I direct the MRT engineering team to “finish” the car by giving a very cool green Mustang some more soul??! Here are a few things that could be done to raise the chining bar to true Bullitt levels. First, I would take the already very good performance suspension from Ford and transform it into an outstanding suspension with an appropriate ride height that shows this car is not just another pretty face, it is has game! Next, I would finish the exterior treatments with the MRT “Reload™” body kit. This kit is simple, purposeful and screams Bullitt, Bullitt, Bullitt! <st1> – let’s bring it on! </st1>
<o></o>
Next, I would hit the brakes, by adding MRT’s Bullitt “Reload™” brake package bringing performance brakes with calipers powder coated red (of course!) MRT’s calibration engineers will squeeze the last bit of responsible horsepower and torque out of the base power plant.
<o></o>
Finally, while the exhaust is pretty cool from the factory, MRT has been designing and manufacturing high performance stainless steel H-Pipes and exhaust systems for late model Mustang for over 5 years, so we have a few tricks up our sleeves here as well. MRT could also add a few surprise and delight items to the list that will ensure that the customer grows more in love the appearance, sound, feel and performance of his new, 2008 Bullitt. Keeping the budget in mind, the MRT Bullitt Reload™ will be the next favorite family member to add to the stable.
<o></o>
For those who need to keep the Shelby GT 500 in there rear view mirror we are toying with a “Reload 460™” package (what do you think the 460 stands for???). We welcome your comments, so tell us what you think, should MRT breathe a little more soul into the new Bullitt?
<o></o>

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Absolutely, Positivly YES !! It really needs the reverse twin scoop hood. Sit a tad bit lower also. And yes MO Power.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Holy ****, I got goosebumps reading that.

Yes, Scott! Bring it on!!!!

I have to assume that we are talking about an even more limited production run of these "special" Special Edition Bullitts. Warrantied by FoMoCo? Surely, the pieces are in place at this late date for most Bullitts to be what we have seen (which isn't BAD in my eyes), but I think most everyone has something they would "tweak" to make it better.

I like what I am hearing, but to put a GT500 in the rear view mirror will not be cheap.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the exhaust- it's tuned to sound like the '68, so I would leave it alone.
Twin vented hood, and rear quarter window louvers.
As for the rest- well if you want to make it a rocket instead of a Bullitt- go for it.

·
Quest for single digits
12,030 Posts
Bullitt_5135 said:
I like what I am hearing, but to put a GT500 in the rear view mirror will not be cheap.
Truer words have not been spoken Kevin. It's possible but horsepower is expensive.

Regardless, i like Scott and I like what he can do to a car so I look forward to seeing the first one he does and the members 08's that start cranking out some serious numbers. Bring it on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Other than possibly adding a new hood and quarter-window louvers, I'd be hesitant to do a lot of modding to the Bullitt unless perhaps they were Ford-sanctioned (dealer installed?) alterations. I'm sure that what Scott is offering will appeal to many folks though.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I agree with Kevin and Paul that keeping a GT500 in the rear view is going to be expensive.

Kevin, it gave me goose bumps too. Just knowing that Scott is working on performance parts for the new BULLITT makes me want one even more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
there are some things i like and some things i dont like.

brakes - 14 inch gt500 brakes would be cool. i could care less about the red brakes.
cat back - leave it alone
headers - long tube headers and a cat delete would be awesome.
suspension - lower the ride height without losing any travel or geometry. think griggs! watts link would be sweet!
power - n/a or blown
n/a - port polished race heads, high lope cam, long tubes, tune. leave stock cai in place.
blown - vst 2.3 or twin screw. can it fit under stock brace? get the blower under the stock brace and keep cai in place and i am game!
add ons - forget about it! unless you want to shave the door handles the 08 bullitt looks sweet and clean! dont mess with it!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The more I see of the '08 online, the more I like it. I love the fact that there are virtually no emblems most of all. Much more stealthy than the '01s.

I had been considering getting another '01 but I just might have to have the new one instead since I've found that the new generation Mustang is a far superior car as a whole and the Bullitt version is so cool. To put on the Ford Racing 500HP blower kit would be icing on the cake.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bullitt_5135 said:
Holy ****, I got goosebumps reading that.

Yes, Scott! Bring it on!!!!

I have to assume that we are talking about an even more limited production run of these "special" Special Edition Bullitts. Warrantied by FoMoCo? Surely, the pieces are in place at this late date for most Bullitts to be what we have seen (which isn't BAD in my eyes), but I think most everyone has something they would "tweak" to make it better.

No limited production Bullitts. Just a group of parts named Reloaded that would compliment the 08 Bullitts already good "bones". So you could add some or all one at a time or complete package.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
If there is going to be a special 'after the fact' package for the Bullitt i think it's great that it is specific such as written in the article.

For me the '08 Bullitt is great as is, and yes, it does deserve the Bullitt name.
Certainly if a 2001 Mustang did this 2008 does!

I'm not keen on the window faux vents or a twin reverse vent hood, but many people will be.

Calipers don't need to be red, they certainly weren't in '68. Perhaps that should be an option for such an offering, red or '08 grey.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I like the sound of all of it. The car could use just a little bit more of a "soul".It has enough little performance goodies to make me look at buying one though. After that is done, it would be sometime before I would have the extra bread to go any further with it. I would also like to change out some interior pieces (shifter trim ring and possibly the dash)and exchange for stock.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Awesome

I am not real sure on the bodykit. I would have to see it... but the 08 has really grown on me for being simple and clean. That said, the car is really screaming for a turnsignal style hood, adn that is it! No other body mods really need to happen. I could see some clean rockers like the 01s though as a possibility. Oh, and maybe like a GT500 style rear bumper.

I normally hate side louvers as they are just stick on items and that look like they came from JC Penny. If the louvers do get put on, be SURE to use the window replacement style and drop in! Those look good!

I totally agree with the brakes. Ford really skimped out on that one.

Ride height. Yeah, I agree there as well.

Wheels need to be change out as well. I do not like any of the new style Bullitt wheels. Go with more of a classic AR style.

Exhaust. I think that is a great idea, to follow up with a high flow mid H pipe to let the stock exhaust sing.

A few other neat appoitments like tuning perhaps, maybe some other engine mods or something.

I also REALLY like the sound of the 460 and would be something I belive many 08 owners would want to upgrade too.

Sounds like a solid path!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The hood needs to be changed to the reverse twin scoop w/turn signal inlays. The red calipers are not necessary but, in kit form, to each his own. I agree with the quarter window louvers, a must. As far as the rocker panel, I would like to see a chrome strip like the '68, at least what it would look like on the '08. If we are talking a 460ci engine, nada...the original had a 390 in it. I think the current engine is good enough. If we are talking stroking the current engine, I'm not sure that you would get much more out of it but, I don't know. I would give it a little more power, maybe up to 350 and more torque. The original engine had 325HP and the torque was up around 400. Lower it a little more and add a sring kit simular to ours. I would not like to see the car turned into more flash. Just not what the Bullit is about...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
lower it, side louvers, do the interior and give it boost. . .the Ultimate Bullitt

·
Registered
65 Posts
it sounds like mrt will create a bunch of options and each owner can dress thier bullitt as they please.

if mrt is planning some packaged bullitt options i believe that we have seen in the responses of this thread that most believe less is more.

if i was designing on my own i would simply go with a top feeding blower/intercooler that works with the stock brace and cai, with 14inch brakes. thats it!

·
Administrator
6,317 Posts
My suggestions -

1) brake caliper color can be optioned to red or dark grey
2) body kit add-ons include vented hood architected to work with the CAI, side window louvers, or both
3) MRT "Bullitt Reloaded" dash plate
4) updating the adaptive fuel strategy to still allow for both regular and premium octanes on unboosted engines but with whatever is safe, added kick
5) warranty protection on the performance changes
6) suspension changes to continue emphasizing street driving compliance - OR - ride height/increased road course performance

Priced right, the Reload changes should make a great car even better!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts