Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several posts recently with guys running 15-17 degrees of timing. I was under the impression that this was unsafe on 2001 motors. I.E. DETONATION Steeda recommends 12-14 on '99-01 motors. Anyone have some technical insight?

Brad

·
Registered
714 Posts
On my 95' Cobra I just used the ol' trial and error method of adjusting it up a couple degrees and driving it to listen for pinging. When it started to ping I dropped it back down a couple degrees and left it. The only downside is that when you get a crappy tank of gas you have to stay out of it, or add a bottle of octane boost. The horsepower gains of a couple degrees is probably not worth the worry. I would stay with Steedas recommendation to be on the safe side if all the talk about the 2001's weak piston ring lands are true.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep. Trial and error is the only way to get it set right. Unless you have access to a dyno. All motors will react differently to the bump in timing. Mine didn't even start to ping until i was at 19. But it seemed to be happiest at 16 so that's where i left it. You do get a litle bit of an occasional hiccup at part throttle if you go that high but WOT is unaffected. (just like the Steeda directions say). As far as bad gas goes,I keep a 3/16 allen key in my glovebox so that if i get some bad gas then i can retard the timing while on the road.

gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts