Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What advice would you old hats have for a newbie to this sport? I am considering taking it up but I would like to really know what to expect (time/$$). Also what is the first step?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
i recomend a driving school first. and you are looking at several G's if you want the cage, tires, helment. i recomend all of them, plus your going to need to get further suspencion work done

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Man... have I got a deal for you.

Brian and I have been participating in driving events around Texas. The best for newbies IMHO is http://www.thedriversedge.net/

The coordinator pays attention to your skill level, your car and will put an instructor with you who knows about the car.

You'll be in your car and all you need is a helmet. If anyone misbehaves... they are gone. Period.

You'll get good instruction and at the least, you'll know if this is something you'd want to continue without spending mega bucks on tires, wheels, race suspension...
Some people really dig it- some get seasick and go home.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked out thedriveredge.com. Looks pretty cool, but does it cost about $250/event or am I reading something wrong?

·
Registered
69 Posts
$250 is cheap i wanted to do this scents 94 when i took my 1st ride but didnt go until this year i dove in head first and bought an 86 gt 351w termec cage wheels tires cell and the whole nine yards my first time out was with "car guys" (www.carguys.com) it is lots of fun and very infromative but not cheap check with local clubs mustang and even porche and bmw clubs have "club events" with insturctors club events are a little less good luck & drive hard

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-18 23:31, llama_boy wrote:
I checked out thedriveredge.com. Looks pretty cool, but does it cost about $250/event or am I reading something wrong?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That's about it.
For that $250, you get an instructor and more driving time that you can stand. 2 days, 4 run sessions per day, 20 to 25 minutes per run session.

·
Registered
959 Posts
A hgh speed driving school like the Drivers Edge is a relative bargin.The instructors, lik myself, are current or ex racers. You get good instruction at the fraction of a drivers school like Bondurant. There are other groups that do schools like these in Texas including the Porsche Club.

Come out and try it at least once. You'll be hooked.

Brian

·
Registered
292 Posts
The "drivers edge" stuff looks somewhat interesting... but how do you find stuff like this? Texas is just a bit far for us California boys.

Steve

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-24 00:57, Vrooom#3440 wrote:
The "drivers edge" stuff looks somewhat interesting... but how do you find stuff like this? Texas is just a bit far for us California boys.

Steve
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The best place to look first is your local SCCA chapter. They can point you in the right direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts