Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:question: On the way home from work, the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) light came on with "low tire presure" display on the dash panel. I pulled into a gas station to ck the tires, but no tire gauge. (I guess that why it is a "gas" station instead of a "service" station). Visually OEM tires looked OK,with 6k mi, ride is not changed.Light remains on after restarting. I cked the owners manual for clues..I will need to confirm tire pressure tomorrow.

On my last service 100mi ago the dealer rotated the tires. Could this cause the TPMS to act up? Anybody have a similar experience? I wanted to get this out to all of you and get your input before I contact the dealer.:confused:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Mike

I had the issue on my 07 within the first 1K miles and more recently (this week) after the dealer serviced the B. The sensor will go off anytime there is a variance of 3 pounds in any one of the tires. All 4 can be low without the TPMS alerting you at all, but if 1 tire is higher or lower by 3 lbs or more, the sensor will come on.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Tire rotation should not effect the TPMS on our cars, all tires are set to the same pressure. The owners manual and the service manual don't really say what causes the TPMS to activate other than "low" tire pressure. I'm not sure if it compares all tires and looks for a significant difference or if it has a fixed low value (for some reason 26 PSI comes to mind) that if the tire falls below this reading the light comes on or both. It does say that the light may stay on for 10-20 minutes of driving 20 mph or more after you re-inflate the tires before the system resets.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Was it cold last night - I have had my tpms light on another car come on when the weather gets cold - Colder Air Lower Tire Presser - add 2 lbs an i bet it go'es off

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your input. This morning,I had had a brief errand to run and the TPMS light was off!! I will be watching for the light when I am returning home from work tonight, duplicating the same route and time.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
first get a tire pressure guage and check/inflate your tires.

If the TPMS light comes back on after go to the dealer.

Since you say the light is out now after doing nothing, it's possible one of your tires has borderline (as far as the sensor goes) pressure

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
What RC said. Yeah.

·
Registered
47 Posts
About a month ago I had my TPMS light go on. All four tires were down 6 PSI from normal cold 34 PSI I keep them at. Had it checked for leaks at a local tire dealer I go to for new tires. No leaks they said, but my TPMS stayed on after they were all back up to spec. I knew it sometime take the TPMS a few miles to reset itself (per the dealer), but it stayed on all the way to the dealer (10 miles from tire dealer). Service Tech replaced one of the valve stems (slow leak) and also tested the others (on issues with them). The Tech did reset the TPMS with their Diagnostic system and no everything is doing fine.

Last week I had my oil changed (full Synthetic) at the dealer and they now offer Nitrogen fill ($24.95 - cheaper than a lot of places I have heard of). They pump the tires down to as low as they can without breaking the bead of the tire (car up in air off tires) and refill with Nitrogen. They recommended 35 PSI with the Nitrogen. Supposedly Nitrogen does not expand/increase your tire pressure as much when the tires warm up, nor does the tire pressure go down as much when cold. Also, no water vapor/moisture in the tires now for better longevity. I will now need to get a Nitrogen fill kit for topoffs, but what the heck. Most dealers are installing the Nitrogen stations as well as tire dealers. Since I have lifetime rotation & balance at my regular tire dealer, I will take it by to them if I notice a big loss of pressure, but the dealer was the one who found the issue with the valvestem.

Anyone else trying Nitrogen in their tires? Long term results?

·
Registered
595 Posts
My car had Nitrogen in the tires when I picked it up and I can get them adjusted there for free as long as it has the purple " I'm a little color blind" caps on them.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last week, I have been driving to work without problems. But, starting this weekend the TPMS light has coming on as before: at night 66deg F, returning home, 10-12miles after work. Cked tires with my older slide type tire pressure gauge (anything better on the market?)26-27psi, below specs if the gauge is accurate. I am gonna stop by a station and add air. Untimately I think the nitrogen gas is the way to go, my Costco offers the service. Thanks abunch to all of your input. IMBOC is always my 1st go-to site!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Mine came on after I left it standing in the garage for 7 weeks with the battery disconnected... I drove 900m, pulled over, got out, looked at all the tyres again...kicked them, got back in and the light had gone off...maybe a slight flat-spot that had disappeared after moving the car...
Not as bad as my Cougar which stood for three and a half months during the first half of my deployment - I could actually hear the 'ftump-ftump-ftump' of the tyres as they went round... I cringed all the way to the service station where I put a bit of air in, hoping no-one else noticed it...lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts