Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just about to post as the "thoughts" thread was closed -

chilli bullitt said:
Okay, even though I was lucky enough to go to AAI to see the car before its release I was still very skeptical on what I would think when I saw it in person. Seeing the fince cars under the covers got me a little excited and then I heard "the sound" and saw it pulling through the gate to the lot we were on and was speechless. The whole thing that was cool about the car in the movie was how plain it was, even, some say, a "yucky" green color. I thought the car hit the whole idea of a Bullitt Mustang right on.
I had this reaction as well. I was not sure what to expect, especially when some of the performance enhancements were posted a few weeks earlier. When I saw and heard it in person, I immediately thought "Bullitt".

chilli bullitt said:
And as for the suspension and engine tune and exhaust mods on the '08's, these are not parts off Ford Racing shelves. These are all new and specific for the Bullitt. They will be available through FRPP later.
When I look at some of the "understated performance" enhancements, I start thinking about some of the same spirit of the 2001s.

On the '08, having a cold air intake system with a custom engine calibration that can detect octane and adjust torque is AWESOME! I am not aware of something in the aftermarket at this time that can do that. One can reflash and retune, but this system will do it automatically! Stealthy - I pull up when I am done with my tank of 87 octane, fill up with 93, then get another 10 ft-lbs of torque at the peak!

A streetable suspension with enough balance to bring an additional edge to the handling - great!

A strong sound that is unique - fun!

chilli bullitt said:
If you got the Ford GT or such motor in this car then would you be willing to pay $50k or more for it? Or does $31k for a well balanced and performaning Mustang that you can do what ever you want to it later sound better?
The price was a great surprise. I was assuming it would be priced around $34,000. This is comparable to a level of what one might do to GT Premium, except its built in and warrantied immediately.

chilli bullitt said:
Wait until you see the car and get the chance to drive it then make your judgement. And as Mike said, ALL Bullitt owners, 01 and 08, will be welcome here at IMBOC, THE home for ALL Bullittheads. :D
I am waiting, and I hope to continue my afflitation here. I just need to get the car now!

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
What happened? I just returned from the local Automobile Association meeting.

:confused:

·
Administrator
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know how Cam seems to get the ban stick thrown his way :)

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
OK, my question is why didn't they use the same suspension and ride height setup as the Shelby GT? It looks a bit too tall to me. It would look more aggressive (like the '01s) if it was lower.

·
Administrator
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bullitt3817 said:
OK, my question is why didn't they use the same suspension and ride height setup as the Shelby GT? It looks a bit too tall to me. It would look more aggressive (like the '01s) if it was lower.
The goal was to maintain daily driver streetability while bringing additional handling balance to the stock GT. If the same FRPP parts used on the Shelby GT were in place, two things would have happened - 1) a subtle improvement would not have been made and 2) some would have complained that Ford didn't do anything special but re-use old parts and slap them on a green car :)

The Bullitt's ride height looks better in the back as compared to the stock '07 GT I have.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Bullitt3817 said:
While in San Francisco I had the chance to talk to many of the Engineers involved. At testing the new Bullitt is better at the road course than the Shelby GT. the suspension is tuned for road course use. One of them commented that after driving the car for a while it was our pacing the Shebly GTs at Miller motorsports park where Ford has a drving school and uses Shelby GTs as the student cars.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,029 Posts
The new Bullitt is growing on me! :) Love how it is retro 68. Isn't that how it is supposed to look -like the 68 in the movie and not so much like our 01's? The dash- looks like it is also retro 68 looking. :)

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
While in San Francisco I had the chance to talk to many of the Engineers involved. At testing the new Bullitt is better at the road course than the Shelby GT. the suspension is tuned for road course use. One of them commented that after driving the car for a while it was our pacing the Shebly GTs at Miller motorsports park where Ford has a drving school and uses Shelby GTs as the student cars.
Thanks Greg - that's what I wanted to hear, that it wasn't just a bean-counter decision, but that there was actually an engineering reason for it. Sounds good to me.

What was the Shelby GT's suspension tuned for, if not for the road course? I can't see it for the dragstrip, but...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thoughts on some of the other posts

I'd like to thank DHG3840 for the link to the edmunds video. I got to hear the exhaust and see those cool gauges. I get the gun sight theme now. And secondly 01281sc93 (Cam). I was about to mention some of the same things he did in a post before I realized the forum was closed. But I think he was more in tune to my thoughts than I could have typed. Not so much on the blasting of other people, but the ecnomics and history stuff. I love the new car more and more everyday and when I can afford one I will have one. I am not disappointed in 5020 but the car has problems I didn't realize until after I bought it that were caused by the previous owner. It's on it's second tranny, the passenger rear quarter panel has at least been repainted if not fixed from some sort of damage. That damage may have contributed to some kind of brake sticking issue and the front bumper cover was probably replaced. Plus most (not all) of the car got re-cleared for some reason. The trunk lid and drivers door are duller than the rest of the car. Lastly I hit a deer a few weeks back and some of that stuff will be relaced again. Who knew. So the appearance of my car is my issue with my car. But I love how it goes like stink. I bet the 08 will blow the doors off of mine. 0-60 in 5 sec. 13.7 in the quarter stock. Cooooool!! So that's my other .02.
Can't we just all get along and love cars (mostly Mustangs and the Bullitts)
BLKBull

·
Administrator
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bullitt3817 said:
Thanks Greg - that's what I wanted to hear, that it wasn't just a bean-counter decision, but that there was actually an engineering reason for it. Sounds good to me.

What was the Shelby GT's suspension tuned for, if not for the road course? I can't see it for the dragstrip, but...
The iteration of the FRPP suspension parts that wound up on the Shelby GT were track tested on race cars set up for ultimate handling (Grand Am cars). As Greg mentions, the Bullitt suspension was tuned with daily driver ride compliance in mind, putting it between the stock GT and the Shelby GT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts