Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, what kind of after-market shifter do you have installed, and what do you think of it, as compared to the original?

Were you able to retain the stock aluminum Bullitt shift knob? Is it as smooth as the stock shifter? Shorter throw, and more precise?
Did you install yourself, and was it a simple job?

Thanks, Duane

:dhg08:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had a roush short throw shifter installed monday. I got to keep my stock handle so it look stock. Is it a 50% shorter throw, and it is more firm.

Firm as in it takes more force to move the shifter.

I asked some people who have real roush's and they say that the firmness will go away in 1k to 2k miles.

There is no slop. Tight as a frogs ass.

There is a little more engine/exhaust noise in the cabin because the mechanical portion of the shifter is about 3X as thick and made of aircraft aluminium. So it radiates it more.

It's nice.

·
Registered
969 Posts
mgw here. very tight at first, and has loosened up after a few thousand miles. i installed it and a new drive shaft together. you could do the install with the drive shaft in place, but to me it would be a pain in the rump. nothing hard about the install. just takes a little time-couple hours. i installed my stock shift knob-it fit perfectly. the factory shifter is smoother (like butter) and quieter. the mgw is precise and you feel more connected to the tranny.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got the Pro5.0. Works great, very short throws, very tight pattern. Takes quite a bit more effort but to me a much preferred shifter action. Stock knob screws right back on.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I remember that Hurst comp plus had a heavier spring in it to help you to line up to 3rd easier. Is there a shifter out the that does the same thing.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
BlackPony said:
I remember that Hurst comp plus had a heavier spring in it to help you to line up to 3rd easier. Is there a shifter out the that does the same thing.
The springs are all inside the transmission - none of the aftermarket shifters are anything but a lever, fulcrum, and linkage-arm.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
JC2954 said:
The springs are all inside the transmission - none of the aftermarket shifters are anything but a lever, fulcrum, and linkage-arm.
Not true...The MGW has alignment springs that put it in perfect position for a hard third shift throw....And you can change the springs from light to stiff, depending upon your preference.....

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
GOT OATZ said:
Not true...The MGW has alignment springs that put it in perfect position for a hard third shift throw....And you can change the springs from light to stiff, depending upon your preference.....
mea culpa

·
Registered
410 Posts
MGW and the STEEDA Tri-Ax, are adjustable. The Hurst is not. I love the Hurst, and have had it in all by previous rides, save my 99 which was a Tri-Ax. Going for the MGW this time, because 1. Quality, and 2. I can keep the Stock BULLITT Knob.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I was thinking about the Hurst Billet/Plus shifter... Anyone have experience with that one?
Adjust ability is probably a good thing, and the MGW seems nice.
That Pro 5.0 M2005 looks interesting too...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Have Hurst comp. Got white ball looks really good. It was my first mod, have had in car almost a year now. No problems, yes it is notchy,but thats the way its made. JOHN

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Not to diverse but I gotta say Mike & Karen that car is a beast and I mean that in a good way.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
first ford said:
Not to diverse but I gotta say Mike & Karen that car is a beast and I mean that in a good way.
Thanks!! Now to get the bullitt to this point.......

·
Registered
263 Posts
cpd0924 said:
Have Hurst comp. Got white ball looks really good. It was my first mod, have had in car almost a year now. No problems, yes it is notchy,but thats the way its made. JOHN
Same here, agree with John's comment. But with the transmission warmed up, it shifts smoothly above 4500 RPM.... I would not go back to the stock shifter.:smile:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well... I just ordered the Hurst Billet/Plus shifter from Jeg's. The only negative things I've read about them so far, is that some have experienced a "sizzle", or additional rattle noise at higher RPMs. I know Hurst has a decent reputation, and it looks like a quality shifter. I'll post my results and thoughts, after it's installed....

Duane

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the Hurst billet installed about a week and a half ago. I also put the "T" shifter on it like the old days. Night and day different from the stock shifter. And it looks awesome.
I had the same set-up,(minus the "T") in my 93 Cobra. Hurst makes a nice shifter and it looks good at the same time.

·
Registered
969 Posts
oldlugs,

congrats on the purchase of your new hurst shifter. all of the shifters mentioned here are probably really great shifters. glad you got the one you really wanted.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What's the Smoothest, shortest throw shifter?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, my Hurst Billet + shifter is in. The kit I got from Jeg's has the white Hurst ball knob, and I think it looks fine in the car. I did notice a little sizzle or rattle at about 3K rpm, but only a couple of times. It may get worse, or I may try to fix that... No big deal though, as my Bullitt has all the normal muscle car whines and associated noises. That's what the Shaker stereo is for... :badgrin:

Overall, I think I'll like the Hurst. Throw is much shorter, though the stick and knob sit up higher and closer to me. The feel <i>is</i> a little notchy, but that's in the transmission, and should lessen as it loosens up. It's probably accentuated by the shorter shift throw.
I still need to remember that the stick centers at 3/4; I keep wanting to shift 3rd, and push the stick right more than I should, and find nothing I want between 3rd and 5th. Shifting does feel more precise, but I still need to learn the feel of that trans. Noise is increased slightly, but not irritatingly so. The stick does transfer more heat than the stocker, as there's no rubber built into the stick itself, like the stocker appears to have. BTW- the Bullitt has an extra soundproofing pad over the internal rubber boot, and extra soundproofing in the tunnel around the trans. I didn't see that stuff in installation videos or instructions I've looked.
Anyway, I like it!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Good luck,and enjoy. You wont be sorry. JOHN

1 - 20 of 20 Posts