Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now found out,I make less than our local 2nd grade school teachers!
Ahhhh.... Life is good in the wonderfull high tech world of Toolmaking.
Thanks CHINA!!

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Mus408 said:
I've now found out,I make less than our local 2nd grade school teachers!
Ahhhh.... Life is good in the wonderfull high tech world of Toolmaking.
Thanks CHINA!!
Yeah! But I bet your still ahead of the kids at McDonalds and Wendy's...or not.:redface: :cry:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
China is NOT to blame. It's corporate and political (our boys in Washington) greed!

We americans are to blame !!!!!

............... besides, a 2nd grade school teacher SHOULD be making more than a toolmaker (assuming the same years of experience). Oh yes they should!!!!

·
3,389 Posts
Whew!

For a second there, judging by the title of the thread, I thought that you were actually happy aboot something! :lol:

It's called globalization, it's hurting everyone's economy. :evil:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
The Bottom Line is:

BTW, I have a nieghbor that is a printer. In a print shop. Runs an old time type of offset printer for specialty displays and what have you. He makes more money than I do. He has a High School education. I have two degrees, one in Electronics and the other is a Bachelors of Arts and Sciences. He is paid more than I and has better benefits. I suppose it's all a matter of being at the right place at the right time.:neutral:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm going to tread very lightly on this topic...

But...

I am a firefighter, and I make about as much as a full time McD's burger flipper. I've been at it professionally for 6 years, 3 of them as a Driver/Operator (next level up from FF). And of the 3 years as a full time driver, most of that I have been "Acting Captain" meaning, I am doing my bosses job with my pay.

My beef isn't with anyone but my local government. My biggest problem is the guy that paid $500,000 for his house calls 911 at 2 in the morning because he smells something burning. From a dead sleep I am supposed to be up and alert and at his door in 5 minutes or less. And then I start the sometimes tedious task of searching for what's burning. Or, I get lucky and the smell of smoke is that the place is on fire, so now I'm full blown wide open. And yet the guy that called us to solve the problem is going to complain that we smudged his carpet. The lady that wouldn't get out of my way on the way to the call complained that I was following her too closely. Or the family that complained that we made too much noise to get to the call.

Irony. When the shoe is on the other foot, they're the first to complain that we didn't get there fast enough.

But....

I'll agree... Damn China.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
what type of tools do you make?If you don't mind me asking

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Wolverine said:
............... besides, a 2nd grade school teacher SHOULD be making more than a toolmaker (assuming the same years of experience). Oh yes they should!!!!
Amen!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I'm retired and should make more setting on my ass, going to school......

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
FDWheelMan3687 said:
I'm going to tread very lightly on this topic...

But...

I am a firefighter, and I make about as much as a full time McD's burger flipper. I've been at it professionally for 6 years, 3 of them as a Driver/Operator (next level up from FF). And of the 3 years as a full time driver, most of that I have been "Acting Captain" meaning, I am doing my bosses job with my pay.

My beef isn't with anyone but my local government. My biggest problem is the guy that paid $500,000 for his house calls 911 at 2 in the morning because he smells something burning. From a dead sleep I am supposed to be up and alert and at his door in 5 minutes or less. And then I start the sometimes tedious task of searching for what's burning. Or, I get lucky and the smell of smoke is that the place is on fire, so now I'm full blown wide open. And yet the guy that called us to solve the problem is going to complain that we smudged his carpet. The lady that wouldn't get out of my way on the way to the call complained that I was following her too closely. Or the family that complained that we made too much noise to get to the call.

Irony. When the shoe is on the other foot, they're the first to complain that we didn't get there fast enough.

But....

I'll agree... Damn China.

I understand this story..... I was a Mail man for while (almost as dangerous as a fire fighter) and no matter how hard you worked to get the plies of mail sorted and delievered to your customers you still got complaints about how slow/fast/misdelievered their mail was... Most of the time it was their own mistakes..

I had some female beast in a see though night gown meet me at her street side mail box in her lovly run down trailer park, rasing hell that her sisters mail should go to another trailer on the other side of the park.... I ask her if forwarding has been turned in.... Nope the other carrier just sends it over...... Now this beast has at least 4 differeant last names on her case, tells you the kind off person she was.....

Another quick story: Few weeks after Christmas, I get stoped by a irrate customer wanting to know where her package her sister (from Bum F&*^*&(%^ Calafornia) had sent before Christams was at, well I tell her the USPS does NOT hold peoples mail we deliever it when we get it..... Well I got to listen to her 5 minute tiraid about how screwed up the USPS is...

Anyway a week later it shows up, funny the mailing date was 2 days after I got my ass chewed, so her sister told her she mailed it but never did....

Me personally I think we Americans have become lazy, expect everything to be given to us and are spoiled.... Sadly We are going to have to learn new/better carrers to stay competive with the golbization (sp)

Good thing about USPS it paided pretty good when you worked

·
Quest for single digits
12,030 Posts
Jimmy Ray said:
Me personally I think we Americans have become lazy, expect everything to be given to us and are spoiled.... Sadly We are going to have to learn new/better carrers to stay competive with the golbization (sp)
Construction pays pretty damn good, but unfortunately nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore. And, everyone wants their little Johnny to be a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
kaylan1521 said:
Construction pays pretty damn good, but unfortunately nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore. And, everyone wants their little Johnny to be a lawyer.

Sorry-I know this is way off topic but I can't help it...That is an awesome sig picture Kaylan1521.......okay-I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming....John R

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
kaylan1521 said:
I retired from the construction industry. Damn I did get dirty at times, but now I am so clean I squeak.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Bullitt_5135 said:
Touchy subject here.....

That's the truth!!! Our jobs are where we all spend (or spent) a huge portion of our waking hours. A few of us (not me) are lucky enough to actually be making a living doing what we grew up wanting to do. The rest of us are now employed doing something that events in our lives have somehow led us to. Hopefully the jobs that your lives led you to are at the least bearable, and better yet fulfilling.
We can sit here and debate the worth of anybody's choice of employment forever. I'm pretty sure that most of us would agree that most educators are underpayed. Most public servants are also underpayed (police & fire, etc....) Seeing what FDWheelMan3687 does for a living and where he is from & the recent tragedy down there makes me think about how emotionally charged this subject could be for some people on this board.
But to me the discussion of salaries in different professions can lead to no good end since we have a pretty good cross section of careers represented on this board. I'm pretty sure that all of us on this board have worked hard to get where we are and will continue to do so. Much of where we end up in life is, as DavidMidgley says,
all a matter of being at the right place at the right time.
No doubt that hard goods manufacturing is getting the shaft right now and has been for the last several years. China doesn't have to produce products that are as good as ours for less money. All they really have to do is produce products that are "Good Enough". We will continue to flock to wal-mart and all the big chain stores to buy the good enough products because it leaves more money in our pockets that week. I'm guilty of it and I'm sure most of us on the board are. Kudos to anybody who makes a stand, You are a better man than I.

Globalization does suck..It affects every industry in some way. Heck, even the NHL is suffering-you think the Canadian born players are happy about the influx of all the euros the last 10 years or so? Shoot-they were just getting over us (politically incorrect term warning) wetbacks from south of the border coming over from the U.S. to play....:lol:

I'm tired-good night.....John R

1 - 18 of 18 Posts