Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of putting together everything I need to carry a spare tire/jack/air compressor in my 08 Bullitt. I've read the thread on the spare tire conversion and everyone talks about having to partially deflate the tire for it to fit correctly in the wheel well, and then they just carry their OEM air compressor to pump it up, should they ever need it.

I'm wondering, though, if anyone has any suggestions for any smaller air compressors that would work? I'm going to try to contain everything within the spare tire wheel well, and the OEM compressor is fairly large.

Can anyone recommend any smaller, more compact compressors that still work well?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could have just as easily searched for air compressors on Google, Tiger. I'm looking for specific suggestions based on experience.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Mike, I bought a spare tire from a GT when I had my Bullitt. It was a temp spare. Worked fine. However if you have big brakes I don't think there is one.

So, if you have the stock brakes, just get the tire, jack, wrench from a nice unused wrecked Mustang.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, I bought a spare tire from a GT when I had my Bullitt. It was a temp spare. Worked fine. However if you have big brakes I don't think there is one.

So, if you have the stock brakes, just get the tire, jack, wrench from a nice unused wrecked Mustang.
Hey Bob,

I already have a spare OEM Bullitt wheel and I'm having an identical Michelin Pilot Super Sport put on it. I also have an OE Mustang jack (I got the wheel and jack from my buddy Max - Makemann on here, who sold his Bullitt and sold me the spare and jack). I just need the wrench and potentially the compressor.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
You could do what I did, buy a bag that is a reproduction of the tool bags that were in 60's Mustangs, glue some hook side of Velcro to the bottom and put it in the trunk on the flat part as close to the back seat as possible. It fits a small compressor, rags, tools etc. and the Velcro prevents it from sliding around.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Trunk/images/TB-FM-L-PLD.jpg

Or, get a rough idea of the available space under your spare and look in Walmart, Auto Zone or other places for a compressor that will fit.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Hi Mike,
I have a full size spare in 6043. I keep the tire fully up to pressure and am able to get it in the well as well as back out without deflating/re-inflating. The rim is the OEM Bullitt wheel w/ stock tire from Bob Nixon's 5224.

I have a stock Ford Mustang jack and a 4-way lug wrench with blocks,boards and rags in the well also.

The full size tire and rim push the floor panel cover about an inch higher than if used as delivered...not a problem, plenty of room left for stuff.

I'd leave the compressor at home.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mike,
I have a full size spare in 6043. I keep the tire fully up to pressure and am able to get it in the well as well as back out without deflating/re-inflating. The rim is the OEM Bullitt wheel w/ stock tire from Bob Nixon's 5224.

I have a stock Ford Mustang jack and a 4-way lug wrench with blocks,boards and rags in the well also.

The full size tire and rim push the floor panel cover about an inch higher than if used as delivered...not a problem, plenty of room left for stuff.

I'd leave the compressor at home.
I'm going with a Michelin Pilot Super Sport to match my attached 4 mounted on an OE Bullitt wheel, so not sure how that will differ from the stock BFG, but I'll try it fully inflated before I buy a compressor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the process of putting together everything I need to carry a spare tire/jack/air compressor in my 08 Bullitt.
I've read the thread on the spare tire conversion and everyone talks about having to partially deflate the tire for it to fit correctly in the wheel well, and then they just carry their OEM air compressor to pump it up, should they ever need it.

I'm wondering, though, if anyone has any suggestions for any smaller air compressors that would work? I'm going to try to contain everything within the spare tire wheel well, and the OEM compressor is fairly large.

Can anyone recommend any smaller, more compact compressors that still work well?

Also, you can read more about portable air compressors at The Top 4 Portable Air Compressors for Jeep in 2020
Full-size portable air compressors can take larger loads than a small air compressor. The heavy loads will further increase the lifespan of the compressor. Don't forget that larger compressors can also allow you to move more fluid in less time. Portable compressors with full-length impellers offer more capacity for the same weight. And full-size compressors are designed to work on water, with one benefit: they won't upset the natural state of your destination's water. The unmodified smaller compressor won't work on body-contaminated or contaminated water. Our best portable air compressors are designed to accommodate either type of fluid. A full-size compressors usually weighs around 150 pounds. The ultra-compact portable can weigh between 85 and 165 pounds. This makes them ideal for a range of daily tasks, such as landscaping, water heating, equipment maintenance, tailgating, boat lifting, skiing, hiking and cleaning. If you can fit them inside your car, you're set! There are several variations of this category, including push-to-pull models, compression models and air compressors with a self-bailing tube that holds your water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts