Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting an AFR gauge and thought I would ask the experts. It seems that the wideband is the way to go. Are they generally fairly reliable/accurate? What brand/model would you recommend? Will I need to have a bung welded in? Would you have someone weld under your B, or would you remove the piece and have it welded off the car? About how much is it to have a bung welded in?
Thanks in advance!
Bruc e

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Bruce-If you are going to get one, the only way to go is wide band. But I really think it is overkill to have one, especially when you see how much they cost. Once you get your car dynoed by someone who you trust and will give you all the data you need you will be put at ease. As for the gauges I'd recommend fuel pressure and boost. Remember that the a/f gauge reads the mixture after it has burned, so it's really reading "downstream" of the fuel pressure gauge. With either gauge you will hear detonation before you will be able to see the gauge and have time to react to a bad condition, either low fuel pressure or high a/f ratio. I know the tuner you went to has you spooked, I think when you get to a reputable shop you will be put at ease with what you have. I still do recommend the boost & fuel pressue gauges though.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MaineBullitt said:
Bruce-If you are going to get one, the only way to go is wide band. But I really think it is overkill to have one, especially when you see how much they cost. Once you get your car dynoed by someone who you trust and will give you all the data you need you will be put at ease. As for the gauges I'd recommend fuel pressure and boost. Remember that the a/f gauge reads the mixture after it has burned, so it's really reading "downstream" of the fuel pressure gauge. With either gauge you will hear detonation before you will be able to see the gauge and have time to react to a bad condition, either low fuel pressure or high a/f ratio. I know the tuner you went to has you spooked, I think when you get to a reputable shop you will be put at ease with what you have. I still do recommend the boost & fuel pressue gauges though.
Thanks John....you "read" me pretty well! I have a question for you....do you have your laptop with you 24hrs per day....you seem to always answer instantly..?:lol: :lol:
Bruce

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
brucebotti said:
Thanks John....you "read" me pretty well! I have a question for you....do you have your laptop with you 24hrs per day....you seem to always answer instantly..?:lol: :lol:
Bruce
:lol: Between the pc and the laptop I do have access to this board pretty readily. If there is a thread that interests me I will stay pretty active on it until it dies out. When I first started on this board I was trying to post every where, even on the non-car related topics. I still do that a bit now, but I have mostly stayed active on Bullitt related threads.

Any time I see anything about Kenne Bell it interests me, I just love the setup. Throw in that you are in New England and that brings the interest up a notch.

Did you talk to KB yet about your situation? :cool:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Due to the less-than-congenial "history" of the DIY-WB project, I'm somewhat reluctant to post this, but here goes: http://wbo2.com/

As a witness to all the "problems" that beset the project, I'll not comment further. I'll merely say that the TE-WB is likely the most cost-effective sensor-controller out there.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MaineBullitt said:
:lol: Between the pc and the laptop I do have access to this board pretty readily. If there is a thread that interests me I will stay pretty active on it until it dies out. When I first started on this board I was trying to post every where, even on the non-car related topics. I still do that a bit now, but I have mostly stayed active on Bullitt related threads.

Any time I see anything about Kenne Bell it interests me, I just love the setup. Throw in that you are in New England and that brings the interest up a notch.

Did you talk to KB yet about your situation? :cool:
John,
I'm going to call them on Monday. Fortunately (or unfortunately), the weather here has been stormy and is going to be for the forseeable future, so I'm not missing much.

JC2954,
Thanks for the link!

Bruce

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have the Innovative Wideband A/F digital gauge and love it. Easy installation and fantastice digital screen. I won't run a high boost car w/o one. Alot of things can effect air fuel, something as simple as bad gas can grenade a motor. The gauge will give you piece of mind and can save you big in the long run.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
twin051302 said:
I have the Innovative Wideband A/F digital gauge and love it. Easy installation and fantastice digital screen. I won't run a high boost car w/o one. Alot of things can effect air fuel, something as simple as bad gas can grenade a motor. The gauge will give you piece of mind and can save you big in the long run.
Did you have to have a bung welded in? If so, did you get it welded on the car, or did you take the exhaust off?
Thanks,
Bruce

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I've had the Innovate setup for several years now. It is a great tool to have for tuning and monitoring your A/F ratio. A must have when tuning carbs!
I also use it to fine tune the Bullitt with the SCT programer.
Many dyno shops use that unit also.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
brucebotti said:
Did you have to have a bung welded in? If so, did you get it welded on the car, or did you take the exhaust off?
Thanks,
Bruce
I had the bung welded off the car.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you have had your car dyno tuned, the bung is already there. The dyno shop has to weld in a bung to hook up their wide band for tuning. They plug it when they are done, you should just have to pull the plug and screw your wide band sensor in.

I have the cheap-o a/f gauge that reads off the factory sensor... and it is completely worthless. I put it in when I did the blower about 5 years ago and I will replace it one of these days with a wide band unit.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stang4.6 said:
If you have had your car dyno tuned, the bung is already there. The dyno shop has to weld in a bung to hook up their wide band for tuning. They plug it when they are done, you should just have to pull the plug and screw your wide band sensor in.

I have the cheap-o a/f gauge that reads off the factory sensor... and it is completely worthless. I put it in when I did the blower about 5 years ago and I will replace it one of these days with a wide band unit.
When I put mine on the dyno, they used a tailpipe sniffer for a sensor.
Bruce

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
VCal-Bullitt2567 said:
That must be an expensive Dyno Session if they actually weld a bung to get a air/fuel reading. I never knew they did that.
+1, everyone I know of just uses the sniffer. It does beg the question though if the a/f ratio is a bit leaner at the tailpipe than earlier in the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Using a bung or one of the rear 02's is the only true way to get accurate A/F readings. The Cats manipulate the A/F. That being said, tuners can get you tuned using a sniffer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts