Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 275/35-18s. Just curious what air pressure you run in your tires. I've bumped mine up to 36psi.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I run 275/40-17. They are filled with 38 psi and both run and wear nicely. The sidewall says they max out at 51 psi, but that seems like to would be a wee bit harsh.

K

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I run 36 psi in my 275/35s and 36 in the 245/40s on the front. Seems to do fine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Outside temp and how you are driving the car makes all the differance in the world. Tire pressure is everything when it comes to safety. When I ran my Bullitt at the Texas Motor Speedway all of the pros made sure we had the correct pressures at all times. We had to do several laps and then they made us pit to correct the tire pressure. We ran them about 2 pounds over that day @ 34 psi, because of the track conditions. I would stick with 32 psi unless your racing the car on a track.

I bought a tire gauge from Moss Muscle and carry it in the console at all times.

http://www.mossmuscle.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=48085

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they were stock size I would keep them at 32psi. However, 32 seems low with my tire size. This is just for a car driven on the streets, nothing fancy.

I also carry a gauge. It's good, but not quite that good. That looks like a good website. I hadn't heard of them before, thanks for the link.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i keep mine at 32. when you drive they heat up and will raise by 5psi sometimes. if its summer it will go up even more. temp of the tire and the sun make a big difference. when i would spend the day at the track with my 5.0 the sun would be on the driver side of my car most of the day while it sat in the staging lanes. i would keep about 18psi in my slicks and after about 2 hrs of being there the drivers side would be at around 22psi while the pass side was at 18 still. thats just from sitting in the sun and not driving.

·
Registered
286 Posts
rangerdoc said:
If they were stock size I would keep them at 32psi. However, 32 seems low with my tire size.
32 psi is 32 psi regardless of the size. it could be a tractor tire or a honda civic tire. the only thing that changes is the volume of the air thats in it. it takes more air to get my 295/35r18 to 32psi than it did my stockers, but its still only 32 psi. running to much wears the center out and gives poor handeling and causes a hard ride.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good point, Jeff. psi=psi. There was a post quite some time ago that reference using different psi for non-stock tire sizes. The jist of the thread was that the recommended 32psi didn't apply when using not stock tire sizes. It just seems my tires are a bit low when I run them at 32psi, hence my original question.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Since your current tires have the same load rating as the original size, 1521 lbs., stock tire pressure should be OK. Keep in mind that the recommended pressure is a compromise between ride and handling. I personally have run all my vehicles 2-3 pounds over factory for improved handling and response. This slightly higher inflation has not had any adverse effects on ride or wear over the years. A little extra air in a low profile tire such as yours may just make the difference between bending a rim on a pothole or not by essentially firming up the sidewall a bit. In front drive cars with a high weight bias towards the front, I use recommended psi at the rear, and add 3 pounds in the front to reduce push or understeer.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I have 275 35 18's in the front and 295 35 18's in the rear and run between 34 and 36. I drive and hour each way to and from work, and no issues. I also have been getting about 44 thousand on a set of tires and that is with out rotating ;-)...

Hope this helps.

Bud and 227

1 - 10 of 10 Posts