Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my K&N airfilter and I am debating removing vs. trimming vs. keeping the air silencer in place. I know this is an area of much debate, but I would like everybodies opinion.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well I removed the air silencer myself when I got a K&N. It breathes a little better but I think there will be a VAST improvement with a cold air induction that puts the filter in the fender. It just makes sense to me that taking the filter out of the engine compartment would give it a colder, denser charge of air. IMHO anyway.

·
Registered
959 Posts
As long as the air intake for the filter is outside the engine compartment, the plastic housing should pretty well insulate the filter element from the engine heat. I am installing a March ram air kit on mine this weekend which hooks up to the stock air filter housing. Should get plenty of cool air.

Brian

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also am debating removal of the air silencer.That was the first thing I did on my 92GT.It does not seem to be as popular on 99 up GTs,is there a reason for this?Has anyone had any negative results?Thanks in advance WixBullitt

·
Registered
543 Posts
IMHO, I would return the K&N and go for the DenseCharger http://www.densecharger.com/ for $99 bucks. Get the package with the larger 3530 K&N and no plugs. It's the last package on the order page. It takes less than 30 minutes to install and requires you to drill 3 small holes.

John

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree with True Blue. I bought a K&N about three weeks ago or so. I put the filter in and it was great. Then I became a member of this club and everyone was raving about the Densecharger $#!+ Well luckily the folks at Kenny Brown Performance were really cool about letting me retun the filter and so I ordered the Dense charger w/ the 3530 filter put it in two days ago and it is much better than just the filter. Cheap mod Sweet gain
One minor drawback though. You have to remove the screen from your MAF. It may not be that big of a deal but it still kind of worries me.
Aaron

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I dyno'd mine (stock except a K&N), we did a run with the silencer removed, hood open, and a big fan blowing on the front of the car. The hp and torque both went down by a couple. IMHO, leave the silencer in until/unless you get a real cold air system.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I just installed a Densecharger on my DHG #2713. It comes with the K&N and lets it hang in the fender well outside the engine compartment. It seems to be breathing a little better. For the 100 bucks I spent I am happy with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-21 01:22, Bullitt#0685 wrote:

You have to remove the screen from your MAF.

Aaron
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt. Was that part in the instructions, i just started installing with out really reading.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
My dyno test with the Densecharger and no screen,showed a couple HP and Torque gain across the RPM range,as compared to using the screen. Check dyno on 0503. Don't worry about any BIG numbers,it was a bad air day!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah Tracktoy im afraid it is part of the instructions, but I know how you did it. I was thinking about doing it that way, but I was afraid that the little rubber ring might smash between the two pieces. I think it really would not make a difference though as long as you were careful. I would not sweat it.
Aaron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts