Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my air silencer, but then I started thinking...

With it on, you're getting cooler air from the fender well similar to a CAI system, just not as much.

With it off, you're getting hotter air from the engine bay, which we all know doesn't produce as much power.

So is there really any improvement? It seems like these two forces would balance each other out. Has anyone done any dynos before and after removing the air silencer? And I don't mean before and after removing the silencer AND putting a K&N in, i mean just the air silencer. Just wondering.

Then again, I suppose it doesn't matter for me, cause the densecharger is in the mail.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullit #4719
1995 Laser Red GT

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gibscreen on 2001-09-28 13:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-28 17:59, Bullittbaby wrote:
Dyno shows a loss of 3 HP with no air silencer.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this so with the K&N, Densecharger, or other installed? Just more noise when you extend your right leg? Huh, I'm sorry I didn't hear you. Could you repeat what you said? I can't hear you!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you say you lose 3 hp if you remove the air silencer? Just making sure I heard you correctly.

As far as with a CAI, that should definitely increase horsepower and torque. they've done before and after dynos on that.

But if we heard Bullitbaby correctly, then it would seem that the heated air from the engine bay decreases the power more than the increase in airflow increases the power.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've also researched this and found a 1 hp loss without the silencer. Interestingly, Ford also has the silencer entryway diameter at 70mm.
There are two engineering sides to the fence, so to speak.
One side tells me that the smaller diameter, as with my 3" system, increases velocity at the MAF meter.
The other side tells me the less ells and the biggest diameter is the best setup.
The Motortec mag engineer, well known and respected engineer votes for smaller diameter.
The Nuclear engineer and the President of the BON forum engineer both say less ells, bigger diameter.
You begin to see why I have built the second system as many customer inquiries were on the bigger diameter side of the fence.
Customer feedback is indicating a low rpm velocity decrease with the bigger system, as compared to the smaller system, not the factory airbox, but noticably better upper end breathing on the twin throttle body systems, especially on the 4V heads. The Cobra owners are not noticing as much torque difference at low rpm probably due to the 4V breathing requirements.
When customers call the shop I'm directing them to the smaller system on the single throttle body applications, and the 100 system on the dual throttle body applications.
The factory airbox drops a hp because the silencer does seal the box from engine heat. The DENSECHARGER engineering removes the entire box from the underhood heat. If anyone doesn't think these boxes get hot enough to make any real difference they need to read the Motortecmag article on my site, and that comparison was against the factory box with no filter which would aid the factory box with cooler airflow than with it stock. The factory filter is emissions which limits CFM airflow. The filtercharger placed in the fender allows the 360 degree breathing with made it famous. And of course now the filtercharger is in a noticably cooler pickup location. Even in the dead heat of summer when you've taken the car for a workout just put your hand up through the fender liner and feel how much cooler the filtercharger is in the fender location. You have constant cool air flowing in this area.

No matter how high tech everthing is now the bottom line hasn't changed since I turned the key on my first Mustang in 1965, and that is COOLER AIR IN, HOT AIR OUT, AND THE CORRECT GEARS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JP DEMOLET on 2001-09-29 05:25 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
John,did you read about my night at the track? I think I need a three-way team meeting......The dyno,the drag strip and the Bullitt!!! For some reason the much cooler air last night....60 degrees,or less,and the chip and Densecharger didn't show any improvements. Very contrary to all my other cars of the past. 99.7 MPH,recorded in JULY! and 99.8 Friday evening. The dyno testing did show gains,especially over 5000 RPM.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like it's time to bolt in some 4.10s. With the way that chip is set up all your power is at the higher rpm. If I make the cold air inlet any bigger it's going to start causing wind resistance!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts