Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any recommendations on an alarm system to get. I've heard a few positive mentions of Ford's F400(or something like that). I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Have the F400 in #196 and had it in my '99 GT vert. Great alarm and since it works with your existing key fob, nothing extra to put on the keychain.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you install it yourself or have them do it? Do you know if it's much of a job?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I also had the lojack installed in comparison to the factory alarm. The problem with the factory alarm is that it doesn't plug into a factory harness, they have to splice wires like any other alarm you would receive from the outside with less features. I'm still debating on the alarm issue other than the factory key because in reality an alarm will not necessarilly help if someone really wants your car but Lojack will. Also the factory alarm cost way more than what you would receive from the competitors.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have the Ford alarm, LoJack and a Club. I figure the more they have to get through, the more likely they may just give up and move on to my Taurus which has nothing on it. Professionals will have a different attitude of course. If they want it, they'll get it. But that's where the LoJack comes into play. It's hidden. They don't know it's there until it's time to assume the position for Officer Joe Kick Ass of the police Stolen Car unit.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I agree the more the marryerrrr but The Ford factory alarm is way overpriced for what you get and I'm alittle dissapointed Ford deosn't have an alarm that plugs into the factory harness.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I thought the car already came with a passive alarm. For me I'd rather install a LoJack system, but they don't seem to be all that popular around here. I haven't heard or seen any advertising at least.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm not really worried about theft of the car, but I've had one car broken into and stereo gear stolen. I put an Ungo alarm in the next car, worked great. It's made by Clarion, has a lifetime warranty and all that jazz..

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
The value of any alarm isn't measured by the ability to keep someone from stealing your car. If they want it bad enough they'll take it.. there are even ways to disable the LoJack.
What the alarm will do is keep the Amatures, Joy riders and general destructive types from doing serious harm to your car and give them somethign to consider before breaking in to your car. That and the fact that almost all manufacturers will pay your deductible if your car is stolen or damaged severely while it's in use.
I've got the Ford 400 and have only had 1 problem with it. On my trip to Florida the starter kill feature of the Alarm locked up while on the turnpike causing me to push start the car and attract the attention of a Florida State trooper who was.. for lack of a better term.. a complete idiot with nothing better to do than harrass an out of state driver.
The problem was due to a moisture build up in the electronics of the alarm becasue I had been driving with the AC on and the windows partially down. Lots of condensation build up on the vents and the alarm module was mounted to the bottom side of one of the vents. Other than that I love it. It works fine and the added benefit that it uses the factory keyless module is a nice bonus. That and it's warrantied for life from Ford and since Ford installed this Ford product any electrical problems that may crop up caused by the alarm will not void your Warranty.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. I called the guy at my dealer and asked him what he thought about the F400 alarm from Ford - he said he thought it was an overpriced piece of junk. I expected him to follow that up with a higher-priced reccommendation, but his suggestion was actually $60 cheaper so I think I'll trust him.

Are there any companies that make products similar to Lojack? My area's not covered by Lojack.

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
DEI.. the company that makes the Viper series of alarms has a similar. It allows you to track your car, realtime, via the internet. Not only to tack your car in case of theft.. but also to track the where-a-bouts, speed, and route of your vehicle if you have kids driving. You can also send commands to your car for whatever reason you'd want to. Ain't the future somethin'?
Check out http://www.car-com.net

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-09-20 17:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-09-20 17:54 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-09-20 17:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
302 Posts
actually the passive key system works really well. you actually need two keys to make a third key or you have to have the dealer hook up the computer to allow a third key to be made. so even if you have the vin you might be able to unlock the door but not start the car. also it might be worth your while to get a third key blank and make a third key yourself so you always have two rather about $20 rather than the dealers $70. the procedure is in the owners manual. the only real benefits to having an alarm on the car is to try and protect it's contents. i have an alpine alarm and it's nice you can have the remote turn on the dome light or roll down the windows. one thing i do know is that the car sends a pulse down the dome dome light circuit to check if the light is on or off. my alarm kept going off every hour until the installer put a resister and capaciter in the circuit to eliminate the spike. i have the paperwork if anybody is interested.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
It looks like there have been several of us that had problems with after market alarm systems just going off. Mine would do it every 31 minutes and some odd seconds. Alarm installer found info that computer does a systems check of some kind at what looks to be a regular but not necessarily consistent time interval and this was being sensed by the alarm as a breach. My fix turned out to be a diode in each door circuit.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I may be a little oblivious to the fact, but what the heck is Lojack??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Alarms are a waste of time and money! You must look at this product. You won't even need to use your club anymore, even though I still do.

It's called POWERLOCK and makes it IMPOSSIBLE to hotwire your car!!! The only way someone can hotwire it, is if they bring a brand new starter with them. I have this on my car and I can sleep at night. If you look at the pics of the inside of my car, you will see the product's small digital key terminal on my dash just below the radio and beside the rear defogger and traction control buttons.

Please do yourself a favor and check out this below site. I would hate to hear one of you lost your Bullitt.

http://www.powerlock.com/

FOR MORE PICS...
http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2302&forum=10&14

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBullittBlue on 2001-09-26 21:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-26 21:38, TrueBullittBlue wrote:
Alarms are a waste of time and money! You must look at this product. You won't even need to use your club anymore, even though I still do.

It's called POWERLOCK and makes it IMPOSSIBLE to hotwire your car!!! The only way someone can hotwire it, is if they bring a brand new starter with them. I have this on my car and I can sleep at night. If you look at the pics of the inside of my car, you will see the product's small digital key terminal on my dash just below the radio and beside the rear defogger and traction control buttons.

Please do yourself a favor and check out this below site. I would hate to hear one of you lost your Bullitt.

http://www.powerlock.com/

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I think this looks like something else I need. Funny, now I want a mod that makes the car NOT go fast.
Anti-theft list so far (in order of deterrence):
Locking car cover
Dealer installed alarm
Factory ignition kill switch
The Club
LoJack
I think I should just buy a custom made cage for good ol' 2759 and be done with it.

Anyone else familliar with the little gem the Parking Authority in Philadelphia uses called, The Boot? I'd love to have one of those. And and the key for it too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
What is the average cost of the LoJack and how would one know it's installed to be able to disable it?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Also, I don't know about the US built cars, but in Canada, there is a chip installed in the key that prevents anyone from starting the car with-out that key. If we lose our keys, they are about $75.00 to replace.

·
Registered
302 Posts
there is no security system that can your car from being stolen. two that i saw that looked interesting where. the system that pressurizes your brake system so that the car has to have dollies to be towed. the system that has a club like device that emitts a high voltage pulse if its tampered with.

·
Registered
227 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-27 11:52, mr.pj wrote:
there is no security system that can your car from being stolen. two that i saw that looked interesting where. the system that pressurizes your brake system so that the car has to have dollies to be towed. the system that has a club like device that emitts a high voltage pulse if its tampered with.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Powerlock makes it impossible to hotwire or drive away. If somebody wants your car bad enough, they'll tow it. That's the only way to steal my car. Period.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts