Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Picked her up in NJ Wednesday from the now-former owner, a great guy who took outstanding care of her during his time of possession and was gracious enough to pick me up at the airport. After exchanging chit chat and plates w/said former owner, the Bullitt & I got acquainted a bit, drove to Phillly where I spent the evening w/my son the doctor; then first thing Thu/AM, I was southbound, driving for 12.5 hrs., stopping in Walterboro, SC for the night where I crashed (in a bed, not the car.) Up early again today and back on the road, home to the Treasure Coast of FL by early afternoon and already registered w/the local tax assessor.

Honestly, I'm very happy w/my decision about selling the '19 Bullitt (for all the reasons previously discussed and more) and getting another 2008. Jerry, the prior owner, did some great light mods- bluetooth, backup camera and a few other things- as well as an excellent job maintaining it mechanically and cosmetically- barely a scratch on her. She's a beauty and I hope/expect to enjoy her for many years. I felt at home in her almost immediately. Yeah, it was a good thing. Not sorry at all about the trade.

I will be modding 5177 a tad- mostly cosmetic, some power upgrades. I'm pretty pleased w/the overall performance altho she's way down on power compared to my former '19 Bullitt and GT500, both which were substantially stronger, and that has to be addressed. I did average almost 25 MPG tho on my return trip, mostly whilst cruising at close to 80 MPH on the trip. But I figure another 40-50 more HP ought to make me happier. I'm really pleased w/the clutch and shifter- both magnificent (event tho I keep looking for 6th gear!), so much better than my mushy experiences w/the MT82D in the '19 Bullitt.

Slow but steady.
Lee

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Looks like a good one Lee. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couple of quick observations- my 2019 was a pig, heavy as heck, or at least I thought so. All that tech and safety stuff, I guess, plus the bigger wheels/ties, brakes, engine, etc. Altho the '08 is down on power in comparison, you can really feel that missing 400 lost pounds- she's light on her toes compared to the '19.

And the brakes are so much easier to modulate too. None of the six piston Brembo overkill (for me- YMMV.)

I do wish the hood had some venting. That little 4.6 generates some serious heat. I popped the hood this evening and man, was that thing cranking out some temps.

I didn't notice any hood lift or suspension instability on this '08 like my last '08 had. You got above 90 and that car got floaty, especially the front end) and the hood shaked. Not so w/this one (don't ask me how I know.)
Lee

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Already have a set lined up. Will definitely do a STEEDA tune, some underdrive pullies again. Not sure if I'll do delete plates again tho. I was thinking the Ford aluminum driveshaft too but this one has zero clunk in it and rides very smoothly- much different than my experiences w/the OE driveshafts on my former '09 GT500 and '08 Bullitt. I may leave well enough alone. Some lowering springs are in order too but not much else performance-wise.
Lee

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Already have a set lined up. Will definitely do a STEEDA tune, some underdrive pullies again. Not sure if I'll do delete plates again tho. I was thinking the Ford aluminum driveshaft too but this one has zero clunk in it and rides very smoothly- much different than my experiences w/the OE driveshafts on my former '09 GT500 and '08 Bullitt. I may leave well enough alone. Some lowering springs are in order too but not much else performance-wise.
Lee
See you at the Elliott soon?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
She's a beaut & in good hands. Run 'er proudly...congrats (again)!

Reactions: JUST 1BULLITT

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See you at the Elliott soon?

We go to the Elliott pretty frequently. We back off a bit in the summer due to the weather/heat/humidity but you'll know it's me when you see the Bullitt alongside an '07 GT500.
Lee

·
Car Whisperer
21,318 Posts
Looks like a beaut!!!! Nicely acquired!!!! Let the mods roll!!!!!!!

Reactions: JUST 1BULLITT

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mods have already started. First was the removal of that horrific NJ inspection sticker!!! Thank God I live in the free state of FLA and we don't have annual inspections.

2nd mod was a painting of the speaker surrounds. Total of about 20m of work, much of it waiting for the paint to dry between sprays (3 plus a 4th touchup) but definitely a necessity to provide a little brightness in the cabin & on the doors.

Husky floormats also went in. They came from the '19 Bullitt. They don't fit perfectly but are close enough that I don't need to buy different ones.

Hood struts go in next and Steeda and I will be talking/ordering parts tomorrow.
Lee

·
Car Whisperer
21,318 Posts
nicely done. keep us posted. on all the mods.

·
Administrator
6,485 Posts
Enjoy your new Bullitt!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bumper plugs installed to cover the nasty holes left by the NJ mandated front license plate.(In FL, we are only required to have rear tags, not front, and please note the verbiage change. Up north we called them 'plates' but down south we refer to them as 'tags.' I'm endeavoring to be colloquially correct.)

$30 for these teensy, tiny plastic plugs- ridiculous BUT... perfectly color matched.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Picked her up in NJ Wednesday from the now-former owner, a great guy who took outstanding care of her during his time of possession and was gracious enough to pick me up at the airport. After exchanging chit chat and plates w/said former owner, the Bullitt & I got acquainted a bit, drove to Phillly where I spent the evening w/my son the doctor; then first thing Thu/AM, I was southbound, driving for 12.5 hrs., stopping in Walterboro, SC for the night where I crashed (in a bed, not the car.) Up early again today and back on the road, home to the Treasure Coast of FL by early afternoon and already registered w/the local tax assessor.

Honestly, I'm very happy w/my decision about selling the '19 Bullitt (for all the reasons previously discussed and more) and getting another 2008. Jerry, the prior owner, did some great light mods- bluetooth, backup camera and a few other things- as well as an excellent job maintaining it mechanically and cosmetically- barely a scratch on her. She's a beauty and I hope/expect to enjoy her for many years. I felt at home in her almost immediately. Yeah, it was a good thing. Not sorry at all about the trade.

I will be modding 5177 a tad- mostly cosmetic, some power upgrades. I'm pretty pleased w/the overall performance altho she's way down on power compared to my former '19 Bullitt and GT500, both which were substantially stronger, and that has to be addressed. I did average almost 25 MPG tho on my return trip, mostly whilst cruising at close to 80 MPH on the trip. But I figure another 40-50 more HP ought to make me happier. I'm really pleased w/the clutch and shifter- both magnificent (event tho I keep looking for 6th gear!), so much better than my mushy experiences w/the MT82D in the '19 Bullitt.

Slow but steady.
Lee

============================
Lee,

You are a gentleman and it was a pleasure to meet you. (Sorry about the NJ sticker :) We're both car guys and get it. 5177 could not be better hands. I bought her from the estate of Mr. Adam (RIP) and took possession on 5/25/18 with 18,359 miles on the ODO. Mr Adam loved that car and took great care of it. He even stored it 6-months out of the year to avoid the harshness of Illinois winters. I promised his children that I would take great care of her. I did and I know you will as well.

Enjoy Lee! I know you've had some time now to get acquainted and appreciate what a special car that one is. Same line in the same factory but sometimes you just get lucky and end up with a great one. 5177 is a great one.

Many happy, healthy and safe miles in the beautiful #5177.
Look forward to seeing updates as the miles go on....

Sincerely,
Jerry
(Currently of NJ, but hopefully FL sometime in the not too distant future)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you, Jerry but the pleasure was all mine. You were a true gentleman to deal with and the car is all you said it was. I honestly do not miss my '19 Bullitt one iota, well may be except for 6th gear (which I keep trying to find!) and a few of those excessive HP the '19 had. Outside of that, I couldn't be happier.

Best to you, my friend and good luck in finding your dream Porsche!
Lee

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FR500S mufflers installed today. Now the car sounds "proper." The funny thing w/the OE Bullitt mufflers is that from outside the car, they sound great but there's no volume to them inside the car. The FR500S mufflers fix that- throaty, deep, bass profundo! And yet, when you're cruising, they're as quiet as OE, no drone whatsoever. Nothing obnoxious at all about them. Sad that Ford has stopped making them as they are a 'must have' exhaust mod for pretty much any S197. And I swear these mufflers have added another 75 HP (in my dreams.)

Ordered about $1200 of parts off Steeda yday- lowering springs/camber bolts, adjustable panhard bar, oil separator, underdrive pulleys, tuner- just the basics really. Should be here next week and hope to get the install/tuning done afterwards.
Lee

1 - 20 of 35 Posts