21,318 Posts
sounds great. post up some pics and vids

Reactions: JUST 1BULLITT

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Let me solidly NOT recommend this item from AM:

I struggled w/it for an hour, trying to make it sit flat, all to no avail. Had high hopes, flat black would've looked nice, but those hopes were dashed upon the rock of AM... again. Guess I'll be ordering the honeycomb panel instead, just like my last Bullitt.
Lee

·
Registered
278 Posts
FR500S mufflers installed today. Now the car sounds "proper." The funny thing w/the OE Bullitt mufflers is that from outside the car, they sound great but there's no volume to them inside the car. The FR500S mufflers fix that- throaty, deep, bass profundo! And yet, when you're cruising, they're as quiet as OE, no drone whatsoever. Nothing obnoxious at all about them. Sad that Ford has stopped making them as they are a 'must have' exhaust mod for pretty much any S197. And I swear these mufflers have added another 75 HP (in my dreams.)

Ordered about $1200 of parts off Steeda yday- lowering springs/camber bolts, adjustable panhard bar, oil separator, underdrive pulleys, tuner- just the basics really. Should be here next week and hope to get the install/tuning done afterwards.
Lee
Sounds like FUN !!!!!

·
Car Whisperer
21,318 Posts
looks great.

Reactions: JUST 1BULLITT

·
Car Whisperer
21,318 Posts
gettin there!!!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Steeda is still backlogged due to covid. Called yday to inquire where my stuff was. It's getting sent to me piecemeal. Tuner and underdrive pullies going out today. Still missing the oil separator and adjustable panhard bar.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
DAMN Covid! Hang in there Lee - it's a Labor of Love; great to see you getting INTO your '08 now! Best of luck w/ it and your Mods as you go!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Much better look w/ the honeycomb rear-deck...got mine fm Brenspeed a few years back. Car's coming along well w/ the mods!

Reactions: spectreman

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
The honeycomb rear deck lid is made by Marcello at Silver Horse Racing, is is still available from SHR and the perfect compliment to the Bullitt grill. SHR also has other very high quality S197 bling pieces available, including honeycomb lower front grill inserts and the side quarter window slotted inserts, prepainted.
End of thread hijack for the new S197 Bullitt owners.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
About a week ago, I sent a tune request form to Steeda, looking to get a 91 octane tune, but got no response. I called today to find out where it was. Not sure how this happened but they had my email incorrect. Anyway, I spoke w/Matt- who I think is now their main tuner- about my tune and he asked me about the tunes in the SCT tuner, to which I said, "Uh what?" Matt told me the SCT X4 comes w/preset tunes installed and suggested I try those first before ordering the Steeda tune, particularly since I wasn't updating the intake or exhaust further. Again, I thought to myself, "Uh what?" I had no idea it came preloaded but he told me the base SCT tunes are solid, safe & reliable tunes.

I took the X4, connected it to my laptop and updated it. Strangely, even though it was a brand new unit, this process took close to an hour before completion. Lots and lots of updates. I then excitedly took it out to the car, plugged it in, programmed it for the car and the 91 octane tune and waited again. Actually, it seemed to be a far simpler and faster process than the last time I did this w/my former SCT X3 device.

Once everything was installed it was time was to test if the proof was in the pudding. And let me say, YES, it was. I was amazed how well the tune worked. I could instantly tell- pedal feel, torque, responsiveness- and then I took it out on a wide open stretch of road and whammo, there it was. Ok, so it's not a supercharger punch but it's most definitely stronger everywhere. There's more decel burble from high revs than I expected but outside of that, I was impressed enough that I will not be buying the Steeda tune, especially since I am keeping the rest of the engine stuff stock.

And I'm still waiting for the oil separator and panhard bar...
Lee

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sounds like you saved some money using the built in tune, thats awesome! And those decel burbles are amazing. I think I like that sound as much or more than full throttle sound.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Burble is ok until it becomes excessive. My former '19 Bullitt had a good amount of acceptable burble. Didn't spend enough time w/the newly modded '08 to make that determination yet. Guess we'll see.
Lee

21 - 35 of 35 Posts