Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know.... For those of you who have read my thread about the recent road trip I took in the car are probably wondering, WTF!!?

I have almost always driven trucks, the Bullitt and my 01 GT being the exception. I wandered into a (!GASP!) Chevrolet dealer this past week and came very close to buying a new truck. I have owned many cars/trucks in my day and all have been FORD! I almost hate to say it, but right now GM makes a much better truck than Ford, so I found myself in love with a deep blue extended cab 4x4 with black leather and the big V-8. I won't get into the specifics, but I could have traded my car in for the more money than the truck was selling for--hard to pass up for sure. No doubt now is the time to buy a truck. In the end, right befoire signing the papers, I had a change of heart and decided to stick with the Bullitt. I may try and sell the car outright to get more $$$ out of it, or I may decide to hold on to it. We will see. I sure do enjoy rowing thjrough the Bullitt's gears, though!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what were they going to give you for the Bullitt? I'm also looking for a tow vehicle but will be keeping the Bullitt. I'm just curious what the numbers were.

Thanks,

Frank

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GM offerred me $24k and Ford offered me $21k. However, there was agentleman there looking at new Mustangs hat offered me $26k. I paid $29k for the car where it stickered at $32,900. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes it is a good time to buy. However, It's a lousy time to trade. The lots are all full of new and USED. You'd be hard pressed to get a decent deal on any trade. Yes even on a BULLITT. If you can do it, BUY the Truck, but keep the BULLITT!! Don't know about GM, but at FORD, they are practically giving away Dealer Stock F150's and F250's. Rebates are out of this world right now on them.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
A kid that works for me signed the papers yesterday afternoon on a new Silverado - traded-in his '06 Ranger (got more than book-value!) and they threw-in a pile of extras, in-addition to a price he just couldn't pass up. Although I am NOT a "Chevy Man", I have to admit that it is one Damn Nice Truck. I like the interior better than the current Fords, and WAY better than Dodge.

I'm really disappointed in where Dodge has been headed with their interiors lately. Through the '90s EVERYBODY was accused of the "sea of plastic" interiors, and rightly-so. But lately, everything from Dodge not only looks plasticky, but cheap plasticky.

I'll stick with my '99 Ram, thankyouverramuch-a........

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RCSignals said:
GM is desperate and there are some good deals. But GM does not build a better truck than Ford. That's a fact.

I've been saying that with certainty for the past 20 years. But for 2008, the GM is more truck. Better? Not neccessarily, but more truck.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I can't drive either the ford f150 or any chev, seats are just terrible for my back. An F250? I can drive all day long in comfort.

GM couldn't pay me to take one of their pickups, I'll likely be buying an F250 next spring...

Oh, and Brian, glad to hear that you'll be keeping the B. I am sure that you would have missed it and then be kicking yourself in the rear...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I dont like GM. You live in texas what do you need a truck for you can drive the B year round? The offer on your car was not good they should come up more. I would not do it.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
54deuce said:
...You live in texas what do you need a truck for you can drive the B year round?
Well, to quote Governor Perry "You can't put hay in a Prius." (or Bullitt.) :lol:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Lightning said:
I can't drive either the ford f150 or any chev, seats are just terrible for my back. An F250? I can drive all day long in comfort.

GM couldn't pay me to take one of their pickups, I'll likely be buying an F250 next spring...

Oh, and Brian, glad to hear that you'll be keeping the B. I am sure that you would have missed it and then be kicking yourself in the rear...
F250's are very nice, but you might want to check the new F150s when they finally are released, if you don't really need a F250. They might surprise you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
After driving the 'o8 Bullitt I can't see myself ever wanting a truck for a daily driver.Since getting my Bullitt May 4th,the only times I've driven my F150 is to go to Home Depot .The Bullitt puts the FUN back into driving.

·
Registered
90 Posts
RCSignals said:
GM is desperate and there are some good deals. But GM does not build a better truck than Ford. That's a fact.
This is very true UNLESS you are talking Diesels. You could not give me a new Ford Diesel Truck for free right now, not worth the trouble. A good friend of mine has been a Ford Mechanic for 30+ years, currently a heavy line tech specializing in Ford Diesels, and they are giving him a tremendous amount of job security right now.

I was all ready to trade in my 2003 Chevy 1-ton 4WD crew cab dually Duramax/Allison for a new Ford F-450 until I found out the new Ford Diesels are total junk. So I'll just wait until Ford gets it's diesel act together before I make the move up to the F-450. Besides, my Chevy has been run literally at or just beyond maximum capacity (over 21,500 lbs. gross!) for all 150,000 miles now without a single problem, I am quite sure it can run another 100,000 if it has to. I sure like the capacity of the F-450 though, man I wish Ford would run a better diesel engine...

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
artillerybuff said:
This is very true UNLESS you are talking Diesels. You could not give me a new Ford Diesel Truck for free right now, not worth the trouble. A good friend of mine has been a Ford Mechanic for 30+ years, currently a heavy line tech specializing in Ford Diesels, and they are giving him a tremendous amount of job security right now.

I was all ready to trade in my 2003 Chevy 1-ton 4WD crew cab dually Duramax/Allison for a new Ford F-450 until I found out the new Ford Diesels are total junk. So I'll just wait until Ford gets it's diesel act together before I make the move up to the F-450. Besides, my Chevy has been run literally at or just beyond maximum capacity (over 21,500 lbs. gross!) for all 150,000 miles now without a single problem, I am quite sure it can run another 100,000 if it has to. I sure like the capacity of the F-450 though, man I wish Ford would run a better diesel engine...
and yet my brother in law has a Ford diesel and has had zero problems. It's an early 6.0 too.

But, Ford's next Diesel will be their own, not a Navistar. Ford will also have a smaller V8 Diesel for the F150. These should be out soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
artillerybuff said:

Not neccesarilly the case. The 03-07 6.0 PSD was the questionable motor. The new 6.4TT has proven much more reliable already.

And again about the Ford vs. GM half ton debate... I have had three F-150's and one F-250. I am a Ford guy through and through. BUT....GM offers considerably more truck right now, that is plain to see for me. It hurts to say it, but I really feel that it is the case right now, and I will likely end up with one soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
RCSignals said:
and yet my brother in law has a Ford diesel and has had zero problems. It's an early 6.0 too.

But, Ford's next Diesel will be their own, not a Navistar. Ford will also have a smaller V8 Diesel for the F150. These should be out soon.
He either doesn't use his truck hard or is very lucky. My friend works in a large Ford Dealership in Phoenix Arizona, and the Ford Diesels are still having many problems. As I said, he has over 30 years of Ford Experience and is the number 1 heavy line mechanic (we both started out as techs in 1976), so when it comes time for me to purchase a new truck I listen to him as he has no other motive other than to give me straight information on the matter without bias. When he gives me the green light on the F-450 that is when I will make the purchase. This of course means waiting until their new diesel has been out for a year and has some good hard real world use under it's belt...

However, did not mean to highjack the Bullitt thread with truck talk, and I do dearly love and enjoy my '08 HG Bullitt. Just got back from a long 9 day trip with the wife's new 08' GT and finally clicked just over 2,000 miles on it. We have to alternate Mustangs on trips as sadly she does not like driving the manual trans...

Cheers~ Anthony

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
artillerybuff said:
He either doesn't use his truck hard or is very lucky. My friend works in a large Ford Dealership in Phoenix Arizona, and the Ford Diesels are still having many problems. As I said, he has over 30 years of Ford Experience and is the number 1 heavy line mechanic (we both started out as techs in 1976), so when it comes time for me to purchase a new truck I listen to him as he has no other motive other than to give me straight information on the matter without bias. When he gives me the green light on the F-450 that is when I will make the purchase. This of course means waiting until their new diesel has been out for a year and has some good hard real world use under it's belt...

However, did not mean to highjack the Bullitt thread with truck talk, and I do dearly love and enjoy my '08 HG Bullitt. Just got back from a long 9 day trip with the wife's new 08' GT and finally clicked just over 2,000 miles on it. We have to alternate Mustangs on trips as sadly she does not like driving the manual trans...

Cheers~ Anthony
No, the 6.0 isn't as bad as the stories. The numbers with problems, and the numbers with continued problems after the fix, is much smaller than the stories would have you believe. That's pretty typical.

When the new Diesel appears it will have had much more than one year a of good hard real world use under it's belt. Also the new diesel will not be a Navistar. As the buyer though you've got to do what is right for you.

I can relate to your Mustang story. :wink:

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
I'm curious as to why you even bought the Bullitt in the first place as the truck is a totally different type of vehicle, why not just get the truck to begin with?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.