Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinkin goin turbo, I have been looking for used Turbo's since I can't afford a brand new $6000+ kit. Do you guys have any advice for me or anything? Turbo's in general are fairly new to me and I heard they work great with stangs, so let me know. Oh and another thing, if I just bought the turbo alone how much would I be looking at for everything else to make it work properly, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Here's my .02...

If you're struggling with the buy-in price of a turbo(or SC) kit I would not do it at all. Replacing the motor will run you WAY more than that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i was thinkin that, but I'm gonna really boost it low like only 5-6lbs but thanks!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Depending on the kit and the company who makes it. Go to Hpturbo and they have a list of what comes with all their kits. Comes with k member and all the necessary tubing. Get the list and compare costs with just buying all the stuff out right and compare it to the price of the kit. Do this with several companies and see what is good for you. And by the way these cars are down right sick with a turbo.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you're planning on just running 5-6psi, why not supercharge it? It's going to be cheaper in the long run. You'll have to upgrade to a tubular k-member to get the headers to fit. You can run the stock headers but the process is going to be long and involved:

http://forums.stangnet.com/773699-turbo-build-dyno-numbers.html

I would recommend a paxton or a vortech with 5-6psi in mind. They are good reliable kits and you'll run into far fewer problems with supercharging. Just my .02

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well how much is considered "safe" on a stock block?

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Chris01Bullitt said:
Thinkin goin turbo, I have been looking for used Turbo's since I can't afford a brand new $6000+ kit. Do you guys have any advice for me or anything? Turbo's in general are fairly new to me and I heard they work great with stangs, so let me know. Oh and another thing, if I just bought the turbo alone how much would I be looking at for everything else to make it work properly, thanks guys.
Chris01Bullitt<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1921838", true); </SCRIPT>
<! FIRST NAME START>aka "Chris"

Hey Chris,

I'm just throwing this out for possibly your consideration.

Go with a Blower..........

Reason: There are Thousands of them out there and you might be able to get your hands

on one for the "Right Price".

Just a Suggestion ...........

·
Registered
269 Posts
Chris01Bullitt said:
well how much is considered "safe" on a stock block?
Usually around the 9-10psi range is safe on the stock block. I've heard of guys running in the 12-13 range without any problems, but this is a rarity. The stock pistons aren't made to take much more than this and exceeding it means you're asking for trouble. If you're wanting to run more than 9psi you'll need to beef up the internals (8.5 CR pistons are good for forced induction), possibly even the valvetrain. Go with a blower, you won't be disappointed

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so now i need to find a used blower! Thanks guys for your input

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.