Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alska May May the Wonder Dog had not been feeling well the past week. Some of you may recall she was my sweetheart Dachsund that survived being chomped on by a copperhead two years ago.
Anyway, last night she went into convulsions, could not walk, had severe difficulty in breathing, and was in major distress. By 2am she was in the emergency clinic. They gorked her on valium, took her vitals and blood work, I sat with her for about 45 minutes until she relaxed, and the Doc told me to come back at 7am (the emergency clinic closes at 7:30, at which time I had to take her to her regular vet).
When I returned in the morning, they told me she had suffered upwards of 6 seizures.
The Doc said she must have had either a stroke, or, may have had a brain tumor....on top of the other symptoms, she had also gone blind.
When I picked her up, she was in much distress, but, within several minutes in the truck she had calmed down with me holding her and talking to her, and I could feel her relax. We stopped at McDonalds, I got her 2 sausage biscuits, and drove to the vet. We sat in the parking lot for a good half hour while she struggled to eat her biscuits...tiny bit by bit...she ate them both....and it was the only time I noticed her wagging her tail. She was a very happy woofie at that moment. But, that also woke her up enough though such that she started to seizure again with even more labored breathing. I took her in at that point, and had her put down, as I couldn't stand watching her suffer.
She went quietly....peacefully...instantly...held in my arms with me whispering in her ear....and she was gone that fast.

After 14 years of being the sweetest, smartest, silliest Doxie....Alska May May the Wonder Dog is no longer with us......

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,067 Posts
Oh my Kurt.. I am sooo sorry to hear of your loss. :cry: You did the right thing and at the right moment. You gave her her last favorite meal too. :smile: She loved you very much and was wagging at you to thank you for the wonderful life that you and your kids gave her. My thoughts are with you Kurt.

Vicki

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Kurt. I can only imagine how hard that must have been. I don't look forward to the day we will lose our dog. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jeez man, I had to close my office door after reading this, I kinda got the sniffles...
Must be an allergy or something, right...
I lost a 14 year old Lab several years ago and it was Tough...

Sorry for your loss.

David

·
Premium Member
18,826 Posts
:cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry:

Very sorry to hear of this, Kurt.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Kurt I so sorry!!!!! Your story brought me back when I had to say good bye to our Princess... She like your dog, also was in bad shape and we did the right thing for our best friends/family.

I miss Princess every day..... I have her pictures up in my room at the dorm.....

I remember the Vet saying to me, you can wait in waiting room while they put her down.... I told him, "No sir, she deserves to have me with her while she takes this final step".... I petted her while she loving looked at me and she took her last breath...... That has to be one of the worst days in my life....

Again I'm so sorry for your families loss1 :(

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
That's a sad part of life as animals bring us so much happiness and joy, we never want to see them go. My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sorry Kurt for your loss. I remember when I had to have my 18 year old cat put to sleep. I cried like a baby, on and off for days. I had grown up with that cat, and it always was at my side when I was sick. It's hard to loose a loved one like your dog was to you.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts