Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you modify your vehicle and require warranty work, you risk the possibility that the dealer will void your warranty if they determine there is a relationship between the warranty work and the modification.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-25 09:51, bullittbabboy wrote:
Could somebody please tell me some of the benefits nof putting on an aluminium drive shaft..
Thanks
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

There are NO benefits to leaving the stock driveshaft on. Aluminum is lighter than stock creating less rotating mass. Less HP is lost in the drivetrain. More HP gets to the ground.
Use the Ford Racing driveshaft and if you're really worried about the warranty, have it installed at the dealership. Ford parts, Ford installation. No problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
An aluminum driveshaft is considered to be a high performance part. Ford won't warranty it. Doesn't matter who made it, where you buy it, or who installs it.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-25 10:53, DHG2404 wrote:
An aluminum driveshaft is considered to be a high performance part. Ford won't warranty it. Doesn't matter who made it, where you buy it, or who installs it.

Yeah, maybe if the dealers a creep. But what damage could a driveshaft cause? I'd say the benefits out weigh the risk.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Different dealers will tell you different things about warranty coverage. The parts and service managers at my dealer were very explicit. What they said conforms to the wording of the warranty. Here is a link to the warranty...http://www.qualitycareservice.com/3002.asp .

Some dealers may tell you anything to get your service business. Ford pays for warranty coverage, not the dealer, and Ford has the final say as to what they will pay. If Ford refuses to pay, the dealer will expect you to pay, and they have your vehicle until you do.

So you do have to weigh the risk and benefit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the input everybody!!!!
about how much can I expect to spend????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullittbabboy on 2001-09-25 13:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The dealer has to PROVE that the mod effected the problem that the car is in for. That's the law. PERIOD.

Besides lower weight, faster revving of the engine, stronger material (and therefore safety), the aluminum driveshaft also absorbs the driveline vibrations much better. Bullitt's seen to all have the "wobba,wobba" noise that goes away with an aluminum shaft. Carbon fiber is the best, for ever greater weight savings and vibrational damping, but costs about 4x as much.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
On 2001-09-25 17:33, lee50guru wrote:
The dealer has to PROVE that the mod effected the problem that the car is in for. That's the law. PERIOD.

Bingo! A dealer cannot void a warranty no matter how much they want you to believe that. It has to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt by Ford, that the part caused a failure. They can threaten all they want.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-09-25 20:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Locally (Dallas) Dallas Mustang will do it for $205 installed. I have seen prices as low as 159.95 on the net for the DS but that didn't include shipping.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've got to chime in about the warranty issue, guys. My dad went thru a warranty issue on the 302 in our old station wagon. Neither Ford nor the dealer has to prove anything, they just need to show that lack of proper care & maintenance, modification or something similar was "a likely contributing factor" to the problem. It then becomes your job to prove otherwise. If you need to hire alwyer to do so, do you think they will reimburse you the legal fees? Take the driveshaft issue: lets say a year after putting the new one, you take your car in cause the TR3650 is giving you some problems. The dealer sees the aftermarket driveshaft & says something like "The different rotational mass caused premature clutch wear in the tranny & your warrranty doesn't cover that." Right or wrong, it becomes your job to fight them & prove otherwise. I've seen it happen. That's why I'm having my dealer install FMS 3.73's & getting a letter from the dealer stating the upgrade won't affect my warranty because it was done with Ford parts, Ford fluids & Ford technicians. However, any other dealer wouldn't have to abide by such a letter, because it was written by a dealer & not Ford. It's a convoluted system & you really need to consider these possibilities.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
That's the point where you go into the showroom and act like you're going to buy a new car, let them get all through the paperwork and tell the sales guy "You know, I'd buy this car, but you service deptartment screwed me over, see ya!" and only to business with a different dealer. In Detroit we've got 31 local dealerships, none can afford to play these petty games.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts