Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took some time off today from work and got both the D/S and X pipe installed.

The aluminum D/S has significantly reduced the "clunck" noise coming from the drivetrain. I am very pleased with the results of this mod.

The Bassani X pipe w/cats has some pros and cons. On the positive side...the car revs up much faster. On the negative side the exhaust note at high RPM is much quieter. Maybe more high pitch is a better description. At low RPM it sounds like the stock H pipe.

My next mod will be to have some straight through mufflers welded in. Can't decide which to get. My fear is that the Ultraflows will be too loud. I can't afford Bassani or Borla mufflers. Maybe Edelbrock? Does anybody have any experience with Edelbrock mufflers hooked up to a Bassani X pipe w/cats?

#2731 True Blue
Bassani X Pipe W/Cats
Alum. Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Densecharger CAI
Superchips Premium Fuel Chip
GT Fog Lights
MGW Knobs
Tinted Windows
StonGard
Paint Protection

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-08-23 19:16 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-08-23 19:17 ]</font>

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get the Magnapack's from Magnaflow. Awesome H-pipe sound from a straight flow muffler.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yup magnapacks or magnaflows.. go for the whole cat back.. and you will be in good shape. Magnaflows are a bit tammer.. but are good to go.

Doug

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
BTW, how much are one of those alum. drive shafts?? And does it void your warranty?

·
Registered
222 Posts
On 2001-08-23 19:13, TrueBlueBullitt wrote:
Took some time off today from work and got both the D/S and X pipe installed.

The aluminum D/S has significantly reduced the "clunck" noise coming from the drivetrain. I am very pleased with the results of this mod.

The Bassani X pipe w/cats has some pros and cons. On the positive side...the car revs up much faster. On the negative side the exhaust note at high RPM is much quieter. Maybe more high pitch is a better description. At low RPM it sounds like the stock H pipe.

My next mod will be to have some straight through mufflers welded in. Can't decide which to get. My fear is that the Ultraflows will be too loud. I can't afford Bassani or Borla mufflers. Maybe Edelbrock? Does anybody have any experience with Edelbrock mufflers hooked up to a Bassani X pipe w/cats?

#2731 True Blue
Bassani X Pipe W/Cats
Alum. Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Densecharger CAI
GT Fog Lights
MGW Knobs
Tinted Windows
StonGard
Paint Protection

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-08-23 19:16 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-08-23 19:17 ]</font>

I PUT ON A SET OF KAR KRAFT SIDE EXHAUST ON MY BLACK BULLITT, I HAD THEM ON MY 98 GT AND MY 2001 GT.(THE EXHAUST ARE BORLA).
I DID NOT LIKE THE STOCK EXHAUST OF THE BULLITT AS AT 2000 RPM THE EXHAUST TONE CAME INSIDE THE CAR, JUST LIKE FLOWMASTERS.
I HAD TO TAKE THE SUBFRAME BARS OFF, THEY ARE A JOKE.
THE SOUND THAT COMES OUT OF THE SIDE EXHAUST
SOUNDS LIKE A 427 COBRA SIDE EXHAUST, GREAT.........
THEY COST ABOUT $500.00, BUT KAR KRAFT IS OUT AS BORLA WILL NOT MAKE THEM ANYMORE,PER KAR KRAFT.
I ALSO PUT ON STEEDA TRI-AX SHIFTER, K/N FILTER.
I WOULD LIKE TO PUT MY AUTOMETER MONSTER TACH WITH SHIFTLITE, BUT YOU CAN NOT THANKS
TO FORD.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Excellent!

I haven't noticed a clunk with mine yet!

You really want to change the exhaust? I like your X-pipe setup and that is definately worth some HP....buy why waste the money on the others? I honestly would be surprised if you would see any gain with a Borla, etc...setup. This system flows pretty darn well as is. I have though about a Borla as well....but I like things the way they are for now.

Paul G.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Steeda Bullitt, could you post some pics of the side exhaust? I would like to see what they would look like on a bullitt.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John & Doug, thanks. I will look into the Magnaflows and Magnapacks. What do you know about Spin Tech Pro Street designed by Dr. Gas?

Badkharma, got my aluminum driveshaft from http://www.fordspeed.com. It is Ford Racing brand. The Ford P/N is M-4602-J. It is on sale right now at fordspeed for $159.

I took the Bullitt out for spin last night and got on it. It backfired once. I suspect this was caused by the X pipe causing more flow than the stock catback can handle? Will the Magnaflows or Magnapacks eliminate the backfiring?

I will also adjust the clutch today as described.

Thanks for the feedback.

#2731 True Blue
Bassani X Pipe W/Cats
Aluminum Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Densecharger CAI
GT Fog Lights
MGW LTD - Satin Chrome Interior Pieces
Tinted Windows
StonGard / Paint

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-08-24 11:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have run the Edlebrock RPM series on mine and other diamond stars in 3" confoguration. The bigger offest design flows about 505 cfm and worked great on a turbo car making 400hp. They also are the quietest 3" out there so I would think they would be equally quiet in 2.5" guise.

Brian

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brian, I don't want quiet. Nor do I want to wake the dead. I don't want drone either. Just a healthy rumble sound. The NASCAR sound at higher RPM is fine as well but I want a rumble at low RPM without drone. I doubt there is a catback/muffler out there that can satisfy all of these requirements. The Bullitt exhaust note from the factory is okay but it needs to be a tad more aggressive. There is also some drone in the stock mufflers in the 1800 to 2000 range much like the Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers on my previous stang. The drone gets old fast. Thanks.

John
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-08-24 10:59 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-08-24 11:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
959 Posts
John:

I understand. I tend to prefer as much flow with less noise. $ cylinders can really set up a drone and the RPM series was the best a squelching the drone yet it had a nice tone.

I have enjoyed the stock muffler sound so far so I probably won't change it. Tends to drone a bit between 75 and 80 though.. :smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts