Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's definitely a worthwhile mod. No vibration under hard accelerating and shifting, and no rocking motion in low gears at low speed. It has that 'silky smooth' feeling.

Next up: Steeda Tri-Ax ready to be installed as soon as the hump dealer gets a replacement shift knob to swap out for 'Ole Twisty; and the 100mm Densecharger is in transit.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have had mine for almost two months in the "Bullitt garage". Just haven't got to it.........you just got me off "dead center". Thanx

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm loving mine. Sometimes, though, I hear a bit of a whine right at ~3,200 revs with throttle off that wasn't there before. I think it's just a new harmonic that I may have created with the 3.73's may have nothing to do with the D-Shaft at all, but I'd be curious to see if you hear it too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-16 19:32, Dennis wrote:
I'm loving mine. Sometimes, though, I hear a bit of a whine right at ~3,200 revs with throttle off that wasn't there before. I think it's just a new harmonic that I may have created with the 3.73's may have nothing to do with the D-Shaft at all, but I'd be curious to see if you hear it too.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't have 3.73s so I'll let you know if I do. I've only had it up to about 50 in 4th, but I plan to take it out on the interstate tomorrow and run it through it's paces.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've heard "the whine" with my alum ds. It comes on when you get off the throttle but goes away when you get back on it. My fix is . . . NEVER get off it!

·
Registered
543 Posts
DHG2404, looks like you got mod fever. Not aware of any cure. I've been suffering from it for over 3 months now. I'm gonna try some 3.73s and see if that cures me.

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dennis
That's right, what's behind you doesn't matter! (I stole that from The Gumball Rally)
Nathan

·
Registered
959 Posts
I like mine. Removed a chunk of rotating mass from the driveline and vibration is non-existant.

Brian

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Did any of you guys remove those mighty big brass "moose balls" hanging down between Bullitt's legs at the diff.-driveshaft connection? What's that for anyway...looks heavy.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dennis I had mine removed. Felt I didn't need all that weight. I believe it was a harmonic balancer. A big weight to help stop vibration.

jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
Jim

·
Registered
959 Posts
yes, it's a big vibration dampener. I removed mine a while back before I ever installed the aluminum driveshaft. A lot of unsprung weight that's not needed.

Brian

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've got a question for ya'll. Does anyone know what that whine is when you shut the engine off? It sounds like a jet engine shutting down. I think it's the coolest thing but don't know where it's coming from.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Seamuse...I got mine at a decent price (they are still having a sale I think) from Fordspeed.com. I think it was under $150. Also got my 3.73 gears from them.
As for why...this has been covered very well by those more knowledgable than I...go to the top of the page and hit "Search" and type in "Aluminum Driveshaft" and search "ALL" words...you'll find these excellent discussions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-17 14:08, jjrocks wrote:
Dennis I had mine removed. Felt I didn't need all that weight. I believe it was a harmonic balancer. A big weight to help stop vibration.

jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
Jim
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

How much do the moose balls weigh? BTW, I didn't notice any whine from the aluminum driveshaft while road testing today. Sounds the same as before, but without the vibration and the chunkity-chunk movement in low gear at low speed. Got mine for $149 including shipping.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If you shut down, the jet sounding whine you get is from your A/C being on when you shut off the car. Shut your A/C off 10 secs before you shut the car off and it won't be there. I personally like it on, I love the whine sound. :smile:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Is there any negative side effects to removing the harmonic balancer or "moose balls" as Dennis put it? Does the aluminum drive shaft eliminate the need for them?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've had my harmonic balancer off the car for over 5000 miles or is that Kilometers haha and I cant tell its gone. It must weigh 10 or so lbs or is that Kilos Anyway my car is fine without that big weight hanging on the rear

jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts