Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did those of you with the aluminun driveshafts get them? And are they worth it?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I got mine from Ford Motorsports. Well worth it. Such an easy install. Almost a no brainer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll contact my friendly Ford parts guy. They love to see me coming.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You may be able to find it at different prices. I've seen the price vary as much as 30.00 or more. Look around.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I haven't actually seen the aluminum drive shaft, but my concern is that aluminum is soft. Will it handle the Bullitt's torque; especially if we add a few power producing mods? Would hate to distort an expensive driveshaft!

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
If you worry about twisting that AL driveshaft then don't even think about looking at those four iddy biddy bolts that hold it all together and transfer ALL that HP into the rear diff, that alone is enough to keep you up at night...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I guess if Ford calls it a "racing" driveshaft, then it must be strong. Midlife, those bolts do sound a little scary as well. Hope they're heat treated case hardened and maybe stainless! Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Sorry, but I am new to a lot of this. What benefits do you get from an AL driveshaft?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the input.I ordered my Aluminum driveshaft today. It will give me something to do inside on these rainy days. Going to have to move to Arizona someday.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
BLACKBULLITT,
No one seems to talk about this much but when I got my AL DL I knew it would be a minimum upgrade, as far as power return goes. But I thought since I was only going to do a few mods and I looked at this one as more of an upgrade instead of a mod, like from a third party I went ahead and did it first. I was very plesantly surprised that it reduced a lot of the transmission gear noise. Even the wife noticed it and she hardly every rides in the car. Perhaps my factory DS was on the edge of tolerence, not sure. But if it takes as much noise out for you as it did for me you will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Even in my "lowly" '96 GT, I noticed a definite improvement after I installed the FRPP aluminum DS the other day. I was not initially impressed when I had 3.73's put in a few months back. But now, after installing the new DS, I really feel those gears. The ADS allows the steeper gears to do their job more efficiently. It's a mod with no down-side.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think there is one downside...I have a high pitched whine like a turbo spooling down from the driveshaft at around 3,200 rpm.

Black#5578 born Wed 8-22-01
SteedaTri-Ax,DensChrgr100mm,MGW satin & shift handle,FordRcng3.73's & Alum.Drvshft,rear mudgrds,30mm H&R spacers rear whls,AutoLogic chip

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dennis on 2001-11-22 09:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I get mine installed I'll let you now how it works out. Thanks again for all of the input.

·
Registered
55 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-21 09:15, Dennis wrote:
I think there is one downside...I have a high pitched whine like a turbo spooling down from the driveshaft at around 2,300-2500 rpm.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Dennis,
Did you remove that balancer/dampener attached to your diff? It's that big rusty hunk of crap that is hanging from your diff. It is put there to help balance that area. But it is "tuned" for a 3.27 rear and a stock d/s. Im not sure, but that might be the source of your noise. It's presence might be "unbalancing" your system. I threw mine in the nearest garbage can. If it has been removed then it might be your gears that is making the whining noise.

gary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GT on 2001-11-22 00:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Good one Gary!!
I hadn't thought of that being the culprit but you may be right. I had been wanting to remove those big brass moose balls anyway and now you gave me more incentive. I will let you know if the "whine" goes away after the "castration".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts