Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Some have, but it has done nothing for the 1-2 shift. Seems so far, the best results were with GM Synchromesh and Red Lines D4 ATF. And in both products we have had failures also.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Yes...Garage put Amsoil 75w90 in it. I was looking for Red Line but they insisted it was the best thing to use. Some 1-2 notch but not even enough to take it to dealer.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The GM syncromesh in my car did not completely alleviate the 1-2 grind. It was such an improvement though that I'm satisfied. It's notchy when cold - you still can't slam it into 2nd but it's much quicker and warms up much faster and then it shifts smoothly. Takes a few minutes instead of 15.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: barry bullitt on 2002-03-19 12:02 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-03-19 11:52, DHG #1302 wrote:
Yes...Garage put Amsoil 75w90 in it. I was looking for Red Line but they insisted it was the best thing to use. Some 1-2 notch but not even enough to take it to dealer.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you talking Transmission or rear differential????

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2002-03-19 11:52, DHG #1302 wrote:

So does this mean you are happy with it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
in transmission....
It's ok but I was really looking for butter smooth shifts....It really made shifting no better or worse than original fluid.
A lot of people seem to like the GM SyncroMesh.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-03-19 12:30, DHG #1302 wrote:
in transmission....
It's ok but I was really looking for butter smooth shifts....It really made shifting no better or worse than original fluid.
A lot of people seem to like the GM SyncroMesh.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I would check on this, Red Lines MTL (Regular manual transmission oil) would come out to be a 70W-80. Also that Amsoil 75W-90 is GL5 rated, and I believe unless they state that it is OK, I think it is hard on the synchros. Amsoil is really good about answering their emails, I would email them and check to see if they say it is appropriate for our transmission.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I e-mailed Amsoil this is their response.

"I use Amsoil motor oil and filters....Great product.
My question is about you series 2000 75w-90 gear lube.
I own a 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt with a termec 3650 (same as
Cobra) 5 speed transmission. The garage I went to recently,
said the best fluid for it is Amsoil series 200 75w-90 gear
lube. I recently posted this on the Bullittclub.com board and
was advised to contact you as to your thoughts on this
application. Any comments or feedback appreciated."

James,

"I don't know who advised you to use the Series 2000 gear lube, but I agree.  That would be an excellent choice."

Thank you,
Ed K
Tech Services

I e-mailed them back with the name of the shop that recommnded their product.
I feel relieved because I was either going to have to eat the cost of the fluid change or go back and fight with the shop owner had they said it was not appropiate.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Something seems weird because if you compare the 75W-90 to their own ATF the ATF is better. For example
ATF Kinematic Viscosity @ 100° C 7.5
75W-90 Kinematic Viscosity @ 100° C 15.7

ATF Kinematic Viscosity @ 40° C 36.0
75W-90 Kinematic Viscosity @ 40° C 113.5

ATF Pour Point, °C [°F] -56 (-69)
75W-90 Pour Point, °C [°F] -46 [-51]

Their own ATF looks better for our problem with the cold grind.
If you compare the Amsoil ATF to Red Lines D4
ATF Kinematic Viscosity @ 100° C 7.5
D4 Kinematic Viscosity @ 100° C 7.5

ATF Kinematic Viscosity @ 40° C 36.0
D4 Kinematic Viscosity @ 40° C 34.0

ATF Pour Point, °C [°F] -56 (-69)
D4 Pour Point, °C [°F] -60 (-76)

Still seems weird they would recommend their 75W-90 over their better spec ATF that meets the Ford requirements for the transmission.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
who knows...
since I am not TOTALY happy with the performance I think I will consider changing fluid again in the near future.
thanks Mid Life for deciphering all that technical stuff....this is the first car I have ever modded to this extent and am still green!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
If you're not seeing any change with the different transmission fluids and you're not satisfied with the performance, take the car back to the dealer. I was planning on it if the GM syncromesh didn't work. In my case it was a distinct improvement. Like I said before, it now shifts into 2nd very quickly but there's a slight delay where before it was difficlult to shift and took way to long to warm up. Now after only a few minutes it shifts very smoothly into 2nd. This is more that I expected and I consider it resolved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts