Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey eveyone, I just picked up an amsoil brochure and they now offer a 0W30 synthetic motor oil for engines calling for 5 or 10w30. I'm pretty impressed and am going to pick up some for my next oil change. 4000 miles. What will they think of next?

·
Registered
835 Posts
It sounds like it's strictly a marketing ploy.

O(zero) viscosity is an impossibility. All fluids have viscosity. Water, the scientific standard, has a viscosity of 1 at standard temperature and pressure. Anything with a lower viscosity is a gas, like air, propane, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-09-15 10:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its no ploy, this is not wal-mart, this Amsoil. Arguably the best synthetic in the world. Check it out.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Speaking of Wal-Mart, I was there the other day and saw Mobil 1 Tri-Senthetic 0 W 30. Mobil 1 certainly has a good rep as well. The thing I don't understand is that their oil for "high performance engines" is a senthetic 20 W 50. So why the trend toward the lighter grades? If I lived in Antartica I might want a 0 W 30.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I think the general idea is to run as thin of an oil as you can. I have run all weights of Mobil 1. I have used the 15w-50 for years in 302's with no problem. My honest opinion, you could probably throw it in the 4.6 and be fine. But it is true the thinner oil circulates faster at start-up and that is where most engine wear occurs. I will most likely run 5-30 mobil in mine after a couple more changes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-09-15 21:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
XTC,

Water has a viscosity of 1. A 5W motor oil means that it's viscosity is 5 times that of water at the same temperature and pressure. A 1W would act identical to water.

The scientific fact remains that zero viscosity is impossible for any fluid, let alone those fluids defined as liquids. The fluids defined as gases have lower viscosities, but they have it. I's one of the factors that produces aerodynamic drag. Viscosity is the interaction of the fluid molecules with each other. A zero vis would mean that either no molecules exist or that only 1 molecule exists. A single, complex synthetic molecule would still have apparent viscosity due to the interaction of one section of the molecular chain with other sections and the electrical attraction of various ions that form the chain. It may be that the test machine that AMSOIL uses is not sensitive enough to read the true viscosity with it actually being less than 1.

The science behind viscosity leads us right back to the fact that AMSOIL claiming a 0(zero) viscosiity for their product is most likely a marketing ploy.

I've got 21 years experience in the oil business to back me up.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks TX, I do know one thing, I'm going with a synthetic aroun 4000 miles. I've heard more than once there is a slight performance increase with synthetic oil. But mostly I just want to pamper my BABY. If you know what I mean.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My baby's had Mobil 1 since the 1st change at 886 miles.

·
Registered
444 Posts
TXBullitt,

You are right about the the viscosity being a marketing ploy. The oil that is advertised as 0WXX is lighter at start up thne a 5WXX, but most likely not by much and if the rating were say 3W30, a consumer would see that rating and 5W30 as the same. We can thank marketing for always bending the truth a little to make some extra cash.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have to deal with all sorts of viscosity related issues at work. Liquid, gas, hydrocarbon, water-based, and synthetic stuff, so I know a come-on when I see it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
WISE MAN SAY USE 5W30,I HAVE SINCE 2500 MILE'S. MY SHO GET'S THE SAME TREATMENT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts