Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that our Bullitt exhaust was somehow different than the normal Mustang GT...as promo materials refer to an H-pipe and special exhaust tips.

I was at a dealer lot last Sunday and poked my head under a new, '09 GT and the exhaust system appeared identical to that on the Billitt, except for the chrome tips aft of the mufflers. At least, as near as I could tell. Since the dealer was closed, I obviously couldn't hear the GT run to check the noise (beautiful music).

Does anybody know if, apart from the muffler tips, there's REALLY any difference? Or maybe the '09 is different, and more Bullitt-like, than the '08 GT?

I was just expecting to see something a lot different...

Thanks,
mogul2us
BLK 1402

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Outwardly it will look almost the same. Inside is where the difference is.

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1789105&postcount=17

Bullitt Exhaust Info
The system is retuned (within the existing package) from front to back. Aside from the tips, there is no way to tell what has changed beyond looking at part numbers. The h-pipe is modified internally as are the mufflers (completely different design on the inside). The exhaust tips were designed to work with the rest of the exhaust changes and were critical to delivering this sound (though the basic sound comes from the h-pipe and muffler redesign). Emcon is our exhaust supplier (recently spun off from ArvinMeritor). I provided them the target sound I was looking for and we worked together to come up with the engineering changes to deliver the sound. Lots of computer modeling coupled with in vehicle fine tuning. I will take exclusive credit for the tips, though! To go along with the signature sound, I made it as loud as legally possible, too. I spent a great deal of time on this exhaust system. Sounds like most of you like it. If you compare the layout of the S197 exhaust system to that of either the SN95 or even the '68, you'll see that it is substantially different. Getting the S197 Bullitt to sound the way it does forced us to sharpen our pencils and put on our thinking caps. It was sort of like trying to make a clarinet sound like a tuba (maybe not the best analogy). Hope this info helps.

FYI - Bullitt muffler code (stamped on can) is F1-8087
GT with automatic trans is F1-7991
GT with manual trans is F1-7849

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.