Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who love that mod but don't have the guts to take out the rear windows, how about a vinyl version? Custom made to apply over the windows that will give the look of the SHR piece. I'm sure cutting the vinyl is no trouble at all but it's the color match that might be the hard part, especially for the metallic Highland Green.

Opinions? Any vinyl graphic people out there?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Decals

Big Daddy said:
I think Dodging Bullitt is working on this, but with the 68 louver look. Take a peak at the Digital Picture of 68 Mustang Window Louvers thread.

I have and am still looking at what can be done with vinyl decals and the cost of doing so. I have only found 2 sites that offer the rear quarter window louver decals that you can check out: www.decalsite.com and www.autotrimdesign.net The decals are cut as one piece for each 05 Mustang quarter window and made from vinyl film. Note that each site only makes them with six vent cuts (there are 12 on the 68 fastback). I would prefer nine vent cuts to make the louver look more proportional for the less elongated 08 Mustang quarter window size. I like the cuts better on the first site - they have more depth - but for some reason this business does not seem legit - when I was able to get through by phone Alec never followed through and when I placed an order online it did not go through. The second site has the decals in various colors including some greens but nothing like the DHG or HG. I did talk to the owner and he was glad to do business with me and make them in any color of green film that I wanted. But he would add an additional charge for doing so. I then talked to Jim Koepsell who is making the dash plaques for several forum members and who would be very nice to work with. He said that he could make these the way I want them and with the color of film I want but it would cost a lot more than what I could get them for from the two sites above, mainly because of the cost of the film. Maybe if a lot of members wanted them he could provide them cheaper?? I have not seen any on a car and don't know how they would look - but they would look different. But as to the color I would think that a matte black may look ok. Jim was kind enough to send away for and forward to me the Avery and Oracal color guides (which I will be sending back to him very soon) so I could take a look at the color film samples for a match to the Bullitt DHG/HG. IMO the Oracal fir green metallic (#677) film is very close to the DHG/HG color - not exact but maybe close enough for the quarter windows. I also talked to the owner of the local "Auto Image" who does the work on my Bullitt. He said that he could cut them the way I want with the film I want and install them for me but it would cost be plenty because of the cost of the film. So this is still a work in progress for me but hopefully this will provide some direction for fellow Bullittheads who maybe want to consider the decals for the quarter window louver look.

Al

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
JrzyBullitt said:
The one in the below link is really nice but I'd want to see it in person. I'd still prefer the SHR one though.

http://www.decalsite.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=43&zenid=03535e093e18b9c55001a810cc3c4fca

I totally agree. There is no comparison between the SHR louvers and the decal louvers. IMO the SHR louver is the closest thing to a real window louver because it is the only one that replaces the window and is flush - the rest are all stick ons. I just don't want to give up my windows.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Dodging Bullitt said:
I totally agree. There is no comparison between the SHR louvers and the decal louvers. IMO the SHR louver is the closest thing to a real window louver because it is the only one that replaces the window and is flush - the rest are all stick ons. I just don't want to give up my windows.
I still have my windows! They are in a five gallon bucket in my shed! :badgrin: :badgrin:

Now to be serious, do you mean you want to retain the ability to look out? If so I think you retain 95% of that ability. I can easily see out the passenger louver from the drivers seat. I can not see out the driver side louver from the drivers seat but I could only barely see out the window when it was there!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dodging Bullitt said:
I meant to say that I'd still prefer an SHR louver decal. :redface: Of course the real thing would be top notch, but I feel the same way you do about removing the windows.

I'm not really worried about retaining the full ability to use the window though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dodging Bullitt said:
I have and am still looking at what can be done with vinyl decals and the cost of doing so. I have only found 2 sites that offer the rear quarter window louver decals that you can check out: www.decalsite.com and www.autotrimdesign.net The decals are cut as one piece for each 05 Mustang quarter window and made from vinyl film. Note that each site only makes them with six vent cuts (there are 12 on the 68 fastback). I would prefer nine vent cuts to make the louver look more proportional for the less elongated 08 Mustang quarter window size. I like the cuts better on the first site - they have more depth - but for some reason this business does not seem legit - when I was able to get through by phone Alec never followed through and when I placed an order online it did not go through. The second site has the decals in various colors including some greens but nothing like the DHG or HG. I did talk to the owner and he was glad to do business with me and make them in any color of green film that I wanted. But he would add an additional charge for doing so. I then talked to Jim Koepsell who is making the dash plaques for several forum members and who would be very nice to work with. He said that he could make these the way I want them and with the color of film I want but it would cost a lot more than what I could get them for from the two sites above, mainly because of the cost of the film. Maybe if a lot of members wanted them he could provide them cheaper?? I have not seen any on a car and don't know how they would look - but they would look different. But as to the color I would think that a matte black may look ok. Jim was kind enough to send away for and forward to me the Avery and Oracal color guides (which I will be sending back to him very soon) so I could take a look at the color film samples for a match to the Bullitt DHG/HG. IMO the Oracal fir green metallic (#677) film is very close to the DHG/HG color - not exact but maybe close enough for the quarter windows. I also talked to the owner of the local "Auto Image" who does the work on my Bullitt. He said that he could cut them the way I want with the film I want and install them for me but it would cost be plenty because of the cost of the film. So this is still a work in progress for me but hopefully this will provide some direction for fellow Bullittheads who maybe want to consider the decals for the quarter window louver look.

Al
It seems like you are shooting for the look without all the modifications? That's what I was doing when I ordered my louvers. They came painted (Perfect match) and with the adhesive already attached. It literally took me minutes to install. The originals were never flush mounted, so I think these look more original. The louvers are open enough to wash the glass windows with a little effort. I figured if I didn't like them, at least I didn't hack on the car to install them. I have a vinyl business that I do on-the-side. I do my own racecar, and some for friends. The vinyl strikes me as a problem because of the color match - especially in a metallic. If you want more info on the ones I got, PM or reply to this post and I'll send it along. The cost, by the way, was $150.
Ratman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts