Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a really annoying squeaking/rubbing sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the car. I dont hear it when I back up, but as soon as I start to take off forward I hear it. It happens anywhere, anytime I take off from a dead stop and even more so if i'm taking a left hand turn like i'm loading something on that side causing it to rub. Any ideas? I sorted through the search function and didnt find anything really matching my problem. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im almost positive its not anything to do with the exhaust, I have looked it over several times to see. Im kinda wondering if its something in the brakes or possibly a bent axle causing the rotor to rub with each rotation.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Sorry I can't help with your problem
But last time I had an annoying noise I cured it by leaving her at home !

( sounded like, slow down, slow down !)

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
English Bob said:
Sorry I can't help with your problem
But last time I had an annoying noise I cured it by leaving her at home !

( sounded like, slow down, slow down !)
I divorced mine....!!

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Maybe a dry bearing. What is the status of your rear end lube? Check the U-joints? Look at all your moving parts, could be any of them...

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Could be brakes...just a thought

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to check the bearings and u-joints just to be sure, but what has me lost is that I dont hear the noise when I back up. I have checked the brakes, calipers and pads are fine, I may have a warped rotor though I'll try pulling them and seeing also. Lastly I still have the stock LCAs.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Jack up the rear, and move the wheel side to side, and top to bottom. Looseness means you have a bad wheel bearing. Don't mistaken this for axle play though. Sounds like your right rear wheel bearing to me.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick question in case it would be bearings. Is the 8.8 rearends out of a fox body the same as the Bullitts. I know the axles are longer, but whats about everything else such as dimensions and diff. splines. I ask cause I have a build rear already done for my fox project w/ 3.73, diff support, and its nice, clean, painted and waiting. So if my bearings are bad I would just swap some things to that rear and put it under the car.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Could be exhaust rubbing somewhere, or maybe your spring isolator wore through? +1 with checking your u-joints.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Noise

jp660605 said:
Im getting a really annoying squeaking/rubbing sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the car. I dont hear it when I back up, but as soon as I start to take off forward I hear it. It happens anywhere, anytime I take off from a dead stop and even more so if i'm taking a left hand turn like i'm loading something on that side causing it to rub. Any ideas? I sorted through the search function and didnt find anything really matching my problem. Thanks ahead of time for any help.
Heres a thought,in the past I have had 2 Lincoln MKVIIs.In both of them I had a growling noise on initial take off.Never figured it out on the first one,then when the second one started making the noise I about had a stroke.I took it to a local mechanic for a brake job(this guy is good)and he discovered that the emergency brake cables were hanging up causing the E-brake to drag a bit.This can be caused by not using the E-brake very often and the cables and mechanism become corroded.He replaced the calipers and cables and I never had the noise again.The dealers couldn't even figure this one out but this guy did.Good luck.I HATE MYSTERY NOISES!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
can you describe this noise?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gucciardo may have solved my problem. When I first bought it last Sept. i didnt hear the noise, but after a while i began parking and always setting the ebrake. Thats around the time I started to notice the noise. Maybe the previous owner didnt use it that much, but that what the noise reminds me of is squeaky brakes. But I also think that there is more to it because it also does it when making hard left turn, as well as when I start taking off from a stop. Either way next weekend will be the first free chance I get to look at it I will be putting it up on a lift and eye everything.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No the floorpan isnt ripped, no body or subframe problems, I looked that over when I put my xpipe on

1 - 20 of 28 Posts