Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wasn't long ago that #1980 celebrated her first birthday ( Feb 14, 2008 ), and today we are celebrating our first Anniversary. One year ago her proud dad (me!) picked took her home from the dealership.

I still love driving her today as much as I did one year ago.

Even just running to the corner store is an event to savour; walking out to the car and seeing those clean smooth lines starts the anticipation rising. Crap, that rain yesterday really made a mess, the light dust that was on her now showing as spots and lines - We're going to have to wash and detail her later. Open the door and look down. I realize that the clear plastic from the factory is still protecting the stainless sill plates. Should I pull it off? No, not today, the stainless can stay covered until another day. Sliding into the seat, my focus has shifted pretty much exclusively to the upcoming fun. Slip the key into the ignition - no, don't turn it, not just yet. Reach down and wrap my fingers around the cool metallic shift knob and stir the gearbox, make sure it's in neutral, give the shifter a little wiggle side to side to feel the resistance of the gates, ahhh this is going to be fun I can't help but think. I find my left foot is now firmly holding the clutch to the floor without even having thought about it. Better get the seat belt on now, before I forget completely.

Now it's time to twist that key, gently hold the key and give it a little turn - one click and the world explodes with sound, Billy Squire is belting out 'Everybody want you'. Wow, was I really listening to the stereo that loud last time I was out? A quick jab with my finger kills the music. Then a little smile to myself as I think about the song and the car, how appropriate; of course, everyone would want a car like this. I reach out and grab the key again, another turn. I can hear a whiring behind the dash, the ABS pump is getting ready for the fun, and the dash comes to life. The numbers show bright white and the red warning lights all come on and then start winking out one by one as she readies herself and signals all systems go for launch. Another slight twist of the key, it resists more at this one, it takes far too much effort, like it's resisting me, warning me, asking me; 'are you sure you are ready for this?'. Just as I am about to question myself, I can feel her shaking herself to wakefulness. I takes just a fraction of a second before she rumbles to life, the exhaust yelling at me; 'I'm Ready!', my pulse now racing in anticipation of the coming event.

The Tach is sitting at a steady 1,300 RPM, no can't go yet, wait, wait, just sit and enjoy the moment. Ease the foot off the clutch, check the rest of the gauges; everything is good. Oil pressure is up, only a half tank of fuel though - is that enough? Only going to the corner store though, should be enough for that. Already thinking about the route to take; which has the fewest lights? which has the highest speed limit? The car is urging me to go 'Hurry up!' she is telling me, I can feel her vibrating through the seat. Revs still too high though, not just yet. The sun is glaring down today, too beautiful out to be isolated, reach over to the door with my left hand and gently press the window buttons. I can hear them rolling down and the exhaust note changes, getting louder more urgent. The vibrations subside slightly, the stacato exhaust smooths out some, the tach shows only 1,000 now - time to go.

The clutch eases in, seemingly on it's own, I find my hand has unconsciously moved to the shifter. Another wiggle of the shifter side to side, then slip it up and into First gear. It's a little stiff this morning, it was cold last night, I can feel the transmission gate resisting at first then yielding to the light pressure I am applying. Both hands move to the steering wheel, the smooth leather warm in my hands. A quick check reveals the road is clear, FINALLY! Time to go. Bring the revs up, oops, 3,000 is too much, children around. Back off the loud pedal to something more reasonable, ease out the clutch. She pulls on to the road, around the corner, a Stop sign already! Crap!

No one in sight; no cars, no pedestrians. 'LETS GO' she is urging me. My pulse racing, a little too much gas, the clutch out slightly too fast, wheel turned to the right - it's the long way to the store today. Tires chirp hard as the clutch grabs, I don't ease off. Heart is pounding in my ears, the car yelling at me 'MORE'! A quick look down reveals we are already speeding, not much, but enough to to get unwanted attention (not that the black stripes on the road behind me would help that). Let off the gas, shift straight to third to cruise down the rest of this road, it is residential after all. that's all right, after the next light a right hand turn onto the major route in the area, a lightly traveled divided four lane with a view of the city and 4 KMs with no intersections or stops. I would smile at the thought, but I realize I already am - probably have been the whole time. I realize that I was supposed to be going to the corner store to grab some milk for the kids to have with breakfast, and that the store is only two blocks from home, the other way! Ohh well, now that I am halfway down the hill, it's going to be at least a 45 minute drive.

My smile gets even bigger, happy anniversary 1980...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gregg, was just fun to write it. Not as much fun as the actual drive though.. heh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts