Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6000 + miles on my Bullitt of very spirited driving and until the last week when I have been locked out of 3rd three times each of these where with a cold car with an ambient temperature of 9, 6, 11, degrees. This was not a hard shift at all just rolling through the gears upon the take off. I just skipped 3rd for a couple of miles and would not do it again even with power shifting at red line after each time this happened. This is the strangest thing I have ever had happen in the car but at this time I have no plans to have the transmission worked on.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
9 6 and 11 in tennesee man you must be in tne mountains. Why wouldnt you bring that to the dealer might be a tranny swap in it for you 6000 is well with in warrenty country.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope I am near Memphis. I guess it is global warming. Like I said it never happened until it had a chance to cool to those temperatures and once it was warm it was OK. This was just a heads up to those that think they do not have a problem maybe there car has not been cold enough for it to show. I use to have similar problems with a Chevy truck I had I could not get it out of 4 wheel drive when it was below zero.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I buzzed 3rd gear 2 or 3 times when I first bought it back in the summer. I thought it was just me so I started to shift a lil smarter.

All was well till this month when it got really cold. It started to do it again in the morning when I got out to goto work.

I just ease it into third now when I get out in the cold. After about 5 min of driving it doesn't happen.

Qwirk.. yeah.. new transmission.. i dunno.

Make sure your clutch is all the way to the floor too before you put it in gear.

·
Charles
13,307 Posts
screaming_pc said:
I buzzed 3rd gear 2 or 3 times when I first bought it back in the summer. I thought it was just me so I started to shift a lil smarter.

All was well till this month when it got really cold. It started to do it again in the morning when I got out to goto work.

I just ease it into third now when I get out in the cold. After about 5 min of driving it doesn't happen.

Qwirk.. yeah.. new transmission.. i dunno.

Make sure your clutch is all the way to the floor too before you put it in gear.
I've said this a couple of times. I don't have problems when I follow this advise. That's not to say some people don't have a worse problem with theirs. It's worth the try though before you let Ford tear into the thing.

·
Registered
969 Posts
jester,

hey brother. i have had a similar thing happen once. like you said, car was cold and wouldn't go into 3rd. on the next try, it went in easily. this was only a few seconds after the first try. i babied it in on the second try. ever since then if the car is cold like you stated, i just baby it into all gears until everything is warmed up. don't know if this helps you or not. i hope you get this all worked out.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
As much as has been said negative about these FORD transimissions, to me it's only common sense to let things warm up before being to critical about them. I can only relate to 01' issues. I drive it easy untill it gets warmed up and after it is don't drive it hard or expect it ever to shift very smooth. Just the facts of BULLITT life I guess. Point being, though is these cars were supposed to be built for spirited driving and these trans. problems ie (hard shifting) take take some of the fun out of it.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Put mine through all gears while warming up .Take it easy shifting till it warms up. Feels a bit [not sure how to explain it]almost like a slight grind second to third .After the car warms up she shifts just fine so far only have about 2300 miles on her.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine only has about 700 miles on it (barely get to drive it due to weather lately), but I always take it easy on it til it's warmed up to operating temp. Still pretty noisey trans shifting into 2nd, no grinding though. I'll investigate it more after if it still exists after its properly broken in this summer.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I got my new tranny at 300 miles! My 3rd gear went total bad. I now have 6500 miles on my Beast, and it appears that I have no more problems. I still would like to get a new shifter to help me get into 3rd gear

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just got mine back from the dealer. They replaced 1-2 and 3-4 synchronizers. I'm waiting on a cold day to see if it is fixed, but so far, so good. This was at 9600 miles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TO PROPERLY FIX THESE TRANSMISSIONS YOU NEED 3-4 SYNCROS , BLOCKING RINGS , AND A NEW THIRD GEAR . THIS WILL FIX ALL 2/3 GRINDING AND HARD SHIFT ISSUES... SYNCROS ALONE SUCH AS FORDS T.S.B. FIX WILL MOST LIKELY NOT FIX THE ISSUE. I KNOW THIS, I WORK FOR FORD AND SEE THIS EVERY DAY... AND MY CAR WAS A GIUNEE PIG FOR THE FIX. YOU CAN LOOK AT MY POSTED PICS FOR PART #'S DIAGRAMS, AND PICS OF THE PARTS THEMSELVES... BONAPPETITE'!!! p.s. dont expect a new tranny...

·
Registered
162 Posts
boozerar223 said:
TO PROPERLY FIX THESE TRANSMISSIONS YOU NEED 3-4 SYNCROS , BLOCKING RINGS , AND A NEW THIRD GEAR . THIS WILL FIX ALL 2/3 GRINDING AND HARD SHIFT ISSUES... SYNCROS ALONE SUCH AS FORDS T.S.B. FIX WILL MOST LIKELY NOT FIX THE ISSUE. I KNOW THIS, I WORK FOR FORD AND SEE THIS EVERY DAY... AND MY CAR WAS A GIUNEE PIG FOR THE FIX. YOU CAN LOOK AT MY POSTED PICS FOR PART #'S DIAGRAMS, AND PICS OF THE PARTS THEMSELVES... BONAPPETITE'!!! p.s. dont expect a new tranny...
I found your post, they did put in the blocking ring and a 1R3Z-7H150-AA Sprocket Assy. That part doesn't match the 3rd gear number in your post. Can you look to see what it is?

Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far I am happy with my car I was relaying my experience. It is very rare to see anything near these temperatures so I don't think I will have any problems.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I like to at least wait until my pistons are round before I start beating on my car in the cold. Once this transmission has warmed up for a couple miles I have never had an issue with it. It shifts just fine for me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well mine did it alot when I first bought it. Now I take my time shifting when its cold and its been fine. It seems like you have to wait for it to pop out of second and then look for third and it will never grind now. It still really bothers me that I have to granny shift a brand new car though. So for now im ok with granny shifting and enjoying my car. If it starts up again I will be bringing it in.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dave and Julie said:
I like to at least wait until my pistons are round before I start beating on my car in the cold. Once this transmission has warmed up for a couple miles I have never had an issue with it. It shifts just fine for me.
When I was locked out the engine was warm and I was shifting at a low RPM only happens when it is COLD below 15 and the car has had a chance to cool down to that temperature.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Shifting Gears while COLD 1-3

It's been pretty darn cold here in Baltimore for the month of January, something like 20 out of 30 days below average temp.

I had been having the problem with doing the 2-3 shift in the fall, but now when I first start driving my car, I can't shift from 1-2, so I shift from 1-3. It runs ok, just kinda slow because the RPMs are so low for driving around in my neighborhood.

Its like I can't shift it into 2 at all when its below 30 degrees, when I first start driving.I go 1-3, then try to go back to 2 and it usually a no go. After I get the car warmed up completely on the highway she's golden. So when I get off the highway to take short secondary road to my office, I can do 1-2-3 fine.

I am taking the car in, in the next few weeks to get the oil changed I just cracked 11,000 miles yesterday, I'll see if they can look at the transmission

Ford's new transmission, must just be a sissy for the cold. She's probably designed to deal with excessively high heat, rather than low heat.
:dhg08:
Chris

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.