Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a couple weeks ago i started hearing this slight whine, i couldnt tell where it was coming from. the past couple days its been getting really loud and sounds like a jet engine on the highway. it sort of sounds like its comin from the rear end. It seems to only depend on the speed, not what gear or if the clutch is in or out. any suggestion on where this could be coming from, it only seems to be getting worse.

----the car had 4.10s installed before i bought it last year, i dont know if this could have something to do with it

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Bullitt2436KM said:
----the car had 4.10s installed before i bought it last year, i dont know if this could have something to do with it
The rear end seems like a likely suspect.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
If the lub level is OK, then I'd say the rear has a bad bearing. I'm guessing in the front of the pumpkin, but who knows. Solid rear axle tranmits noise, could be any bearing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A Whine from the rear could mean the pinion has moved from bearing wear or a loose front pinion retainer nut. I would do a check of the pinion nut (drop the drive shaft at the universal) if this nut can be moved without a tool go ahead an HAND tighten only, then get to the nearest rearend shop and have your pinion depth reset.

Another wine cause could be a wheel (axle) bearing, see if you can deterimne if it is coming from one side or the other

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Most likely a rear sound. probably gear noise, +1 to checking the whole thing over. If you need help let me know.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i drove it in to philly this morning and this sounds is drivin me crazy. it sounds like a jet takin off. im gonna have to take it to my mechanic this weekend if i can, i dont have any access to a lift nor the knowledge to start pokin around at my rear by myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts