Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusty 351W,in my 85 LX,has been running great. However,some rethinking on my last cam pick,has me going back to the slightly smaller hyd. roller cam I had used before. Like maybe too much duration for the 9 to 1 compression.
So,I start the teardown process. While removing the pushrods,I take note of a chipped out pushrod adjusting screw on a rocker arm. Now these are ex$pensive Probe shaft rockers,designed for the TFS Highport heads.
I look closer and see that 9 of the 16 cupped pushrod/rockerarm screws are broke out!!! Plus a lot of small hard steel chips are now in the bottom of the oil pan! When this happened,since the engine freshen-up last year,is anyone's guess. The screws are broke out at one or two places within the exposed 2-3 threads.
Maybe poor quality screws/heat treating....who knows. A high quality replacement set of 16 is $150 bucks,for these 1 inch long 7/16-20 set screws with the pushrod cupped end!!
So here I think....... I have this 357 Windsor with great ported TFS heads, big hyd. roller cam,all the good aftermarket goodies,to try and make an easy dependable 430-450 HP on pump gas.
And at my local Chevy dealer sits an all aluminum carbed LS-2,rated at 440 HP,teasing me with it's small .500 lift/ 203 duration weeney cam, all very dependable OEM parts, for $5,000 bucks!!!!
Yes,it is getting VERY tempting to swap it in the Mustang!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked with Summit Racing on an aluminum Dart 351 type block,9.5 deck height....Today's price..$4000 big ones! And then it needs a finished bore job and so on!!

Also stopped by a local Chvey dealer. Price on the 440 HP LS-2...$5300. Price for needed timing cover for distributor and mech. fuel pump...$390.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Those the original WilBurt castings? If you decide to ditch the Ford engine, you should sell me those heads :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Mus408 said:
OK...Build a like Ford 351W,new parts with aluminum block,DART or whatever,for $5000!
Geez.. I was just teasing..:wink:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Talk talk talk. Lets see some action. Buy the LS2 and drop it in the LX. :razz: :razz: :razz:

Or buy a junkyard 5.4 32V navigator engine and do this:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
McQ Stang said:
Talk talk talk. Lets see some action. Buy the LS2 and drop it in the LX. :razz: :razz: :razz:

Or buy a junkyard 5.4 32V navigator engine and do this:
Thats about what i was going to suggest. but id keep it Fuel Injected. and go blown.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
On a side note, the Director of Marketing (I believe that's his title) spoke at the Mid America Banquet. Said in reference to the new Camaro and Challenger " IF they make 600 HP we're going to make 650". So it sounds as if there will be a HP war all over again.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
On a side note, the Director of Marketing (I believe that's his title) spoke at the Mid America Banquet. Said in reference to the new Camaro and Challenger " IF they make 600 HP we're going to make 650". So it sounds as if there will be a HP war all over again.
That would be nice....IF THE PRICE OF GAS WENT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
They can quote HP figures all they want. The only HP that really matters anyway is NET HP. It is totally opposite now as compared to the old days; back then they would underestimate (i.e. "LIE") about the figures to beat the corrupt auto insurance racket, whereas nowadays they overestimate the HP figures just so they can sell the car in the first place.

If folks would simply ask what the net HP is then they would realize what they are really paying for.

I'll believe the HP wars when I see them. Ford did not always beat GM in horsepower ratings anyway. The way Ford put options packages together (or the lack of them) compared to GM always caused them to remain 1/2 to 1 step behind.

Ford needs to get with it, if they want to be competitive. <----- Mus408 is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT ~ !!!

(texwebdesign.com)

·
Registered
221 Posts
the best deal now is to get a used 6.0 out of a 2500 truck and put the new 6.2 heads on chnge the cam and for well under $3000.00 have close to 500 horsepower.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
JSCBullitt said:
the best deal now is to get a used 6.0 out of a 2500 truck and put the new 6.2 heads on chnge the cam and for well under $3000.00 have close to 500 horsepower.
I visit a few other sites. They are talking several different things:

SHO motors, with Ranger/Aerostar bellhousings.

V-10 Ford with or w/o blowers.

V-8 diesels (your choice, there are a few)

V-10 Dodge engines

Nissan 4.8L V-8.

One fellow even advocated using a Lexus 4.7 L from a sedan or SC.

But, Chevy engines seem to stir up rankor more than any other.:lol:

·
3,389 Posts
.......but then he'll be on the Vette sites talking about putting the fine 4.6 that Ford has into his Vette! :lol:

.....I can see it now,

"my vette can't keep its nose down, I'm this far away from putting in a Ford 4.6 in to add some weight to the front end" :lol:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep,that might be me! Remeber I wasn't a Ford guy until they were on top of the game with those early Fox body Mustangs. Then they got lazy and greedy!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts