Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently been healed from its encounter with a hail storm with only 200 mi on the clock, our Bullitt #5657 has experienced another small glitch at the 300 mi mark. I was out in the garage (we keep it indoors after the hail thing), applying a second coat of Insulator wax when I noticed a little shard of metal sticking out of the sidewall of the right rear tire. Apparently it didn't go all the way through since the tire held air; but it raised all the questions. The end result was to bite the bullit and buy a new tire. NTB wanted $214; but the local Goodyear dealer replaced it for $150. I brought the damaged (300 mi) tire home, pulled the metal sliver out, and confirmed that it didn't go all the way through. Perhaps I can somehow use it for a spare? One thing...the goodyear store assumed the tire pressure sensor was associated with the valve stem and was careful on the dismount. However, the sensor was some kind of band (???) inside the tire and they broke it on the dismount. They got a new replacement from a Ford dealer and all seems OK. Its all new to me, but a heads up with this issue to anyone dismounting one of these things. Anyway, I hope all the bad luck is over for a while.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The TPS system consist's of a Key Pod size devive attached under the Valve Stem with filliment bands, from each side of it, attached to the wheel running approx 1/3 arround the wheel. Ran into same thing when I changed out the tires on my 07.

Make a tire swing for your Kids, or Grandkids, with the other tire, I wouldn't use it on the car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
See the reply below from mmdpg to a question I had. He was kind enought to sent me 5 pdf files that tells you everything you want to know about the TPS system and how it works, except how to disable it.

I don't really want to take my car to the dealer to "train" my TPS if or when I mess up a tire. No telling how much that cost.

Oh BTW I have heard when you use the tire goo fo fix a flat it *****up the sensor and Ford has to replace it. Bet that cost 100.00 a pop

Plus the fact the sensor runs on a Lit/ion battery that will at some point in time die. More money for the dealer.

Information on the 08 TPS
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160458&page=2
hope you can get to it as I can't post attachments. IMHO it should be a stickey

Here is all of the info I could find on the TPMS. I couldn't find where the car monitor that picks up the wheel sensors
is located but it does feed into the SJB (Smart Junction Box) and through software will send the signals to the warning lights.
I didn't read through all of the files but I assume if one of the sensors doesn't "wake up" when the car is moving then it
will turn on a warning light as well as when one or more of the sensors detect a low pressure situation.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
AC3874 said:
I don't really want to take my car to the dealer to "train" my TPS if or when I mess up a tire. No telling how much that cost.

Oh BTW I have heard when you use the tire goo fo fix a flat it *****up the sensor and Ford has to replace it. Bet that cost 100.00 a pop
Check the owner's manual. It does state that if you use the "fix a flat" you have to replace the sensor. I can only guess how much you will have to fight the dealer to get them to replace it. The sensor is a electronic device mandated by law and not part of the tire so it is covered. This came from Ford and not my dealer.

Ford now sells a small tool for less the $20 that you can use to "train" the TPS system. I will try to find the link or at least the part number and post it here. My be a handy tool to keep around. About the size of the Key Fob.

Found the part number : p/n: 8C2T-1A203-AB (officially, it's for the '08 E series vans, but it has supposedly been verified to work on Mustangs. People are reporting paying $15 - $17 for it at their local dealer.

Here is how to use it:
There's nothing complex about it, and any new sensors will still have to be trained.

Here is the very simple procedure for training TPMS sensors using this tool or equivalent(aka "resetting the tire light", etc.):

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem.

Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
More research, I found the training tool here: TeamFordParts.com for $13.39

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I had one tire/sensor replaced, do all four tires need to go through this procedure at one time, or can one tire be "trained" by itself?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
As i understand (I have done actually did this myself, only read on other forums) you have to do all four in the order listed in the instructions. Doing all four takes less then two minutes, so just do all four and you got it covered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK..here's a follow up with what happened with #5657 and the new tire. Actually, I had removed the damaged tire/wheel from the car and took it to the shop for replacement. They installed the new tire and sensor on the Bulitt rim. I took it home and put it back on the car where it sat until this evening. After reading some of the previous replies today, I assumed that some kind of action would be necessary to set up the tire pressure sensing mechanism. This evening however, the car started up normally without any tire pressure warning icons/alarms. I drove it to a criuse and everything is normal. The tire shop did mention something about bringing the car in if the new sensor needed further action. At the time, I assumed that they had done something to prep the sensor (without the car). I didn't think too much about it at the time. Can anyone venture a guess what is going on? Is there a way to set the sensor without the car? If not, what should I be looking for to tell me I need to do something?

Thanks,
Bernie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts