Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now shot about 2500 rounds through my .22 and am starting to look for a bigger handgun. Price is obviously going to be an issue so forget about Desert Eagle, Kimber, HK, etc. I had heard many good things about the Ruger 9mm, but I shot one the other day and HATED it! That double action trigger is just too long and strange. Thursday I shot a Glock .45 and loved it! I was also considering a Beretta 9mm.

I am afraid that .45 ammunition is going to be too expensive, and 9mm is much cheaper. But I really liked that Glock. So here is what I am thinking about for now in the following order.

1. Glock 30 (I think) .45 ($550)
2. Glock 17/19 (whichever one is the full-sized) 9mm ($500)
3. Beretta 92FS 9mm ($550)

So tell me what you think...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Good morning,
Going out to do some shooting today, actually. 12 ga. shotgun and SigSauer .40 cal (quarterly qualification shoot).
First of all, I highly recommend the .40 cal round. It's what my department chose when it wanted a compromise between the round carrying capacity of the 9's and the hitting power of the .45s (at the time my department issued both types and the officer decided which he wanted). Most departments use .40 cal now.
Secondly, I highly recommend the SigSauer P226. I've owned three Sigs (P226 9mm was my first gun, P220 .45 for a while, and my service P226 .40). Have never had a single malfunction or complaint. They've all been HIGHLY accurate.
People groan about the double action pull on the first shot, but after shooting it for a while you don't even notice it.
Another very good gun for a great price is the CZ75. My wife has a compact CZ75 in 9mm we picked up at a show for $400. They also make a CZ40 in .40 cal that I like a lot. CZ is made in Czechoslovakia and is very popular with police and military in Europe.
Out of the choices you made, I confess I don't know much about Glock, other than I don't enjoy shooting them because I'm not used to the trigger pull or the plastic feel. I'm sure the Baretta would be comparable to the Sig.
Don't be too worried about the .45 though. As a civilian you may want to avoid 9mm or .40 cal because you'd have to get magazines that are plugged to only allow 10 rounds anyway. That's why I'd consider .45 if I were a civilian. Wilson makes a wonderful gun called the KZ45 that holds 10 rounds of .45 (It's twice the price of your field though).
Make sure you get out to the range or with friends and shoot the different rental guns to compare.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I suggest a revolver. .38 so you can also shoot .357's. I have a S&W and love it. Extreamly accurate and easy to clean. I think I picked mine up used for about $500.00.

I also have a brand new Kimber Custom II .45, and the S&W revolver blows that thing away in regards to plan old target range fun :smile:

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dennis. I remembered that you really like the Sig guns and at the last show I looked for them. I really liked the feel of the gun, but everyone wanted $700ish for it.

All of the guns that I am looking at are new and all of them have 10 round clips.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2004-03-22 09:07, PSI wrote:
I suggest a revolver. .38 so you can also shoot .357's. I have a S&W and love it. Extreamly accurate and easy to clean. I think I picked mine up used for about $500.00.

I also have a brand new Kimber Custom II .45, and the S&W revolver blows that thing away in regards to plan old target range fun :smile:
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm not sure why, but for some reason revolvers just don't interest me. Probably Hollywood. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I'm with Dennis. I like the Sig which is very accurate. Look online and see if you can find a place that sells used PD trade ins. You can probably get a couple of 15rnd mags also.

The Ruger you shot was it Double action ONLY? A lot of manufactures make a DA only gun for PD's. For the budget minded needing to buy new then the Ruger would be in the running. Not sure what S&W has out today. Last I looked they have more models than days of the year I think.

A used Browning Hi-power would be nice also. Should not be a problem finding 13rnd mags either. PLUS it is ALL STEEL....Used probably in the $400 range.

Also don't get rid of the 22, you will find yourself going back to it later.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Ruger just had a strange trigger that seemed to be a mile long. Not to my liking at all. I have found them new for about $400 so I would just pay the extra $100 to get a Glock since I really liked it.

I will definitely keep the .22. When I go to the range I usually shoot about 350 rounds. I can't afford to do that with a 9mm, .40, or .45. So I figure that I will still shoot both of them.

I would prefer to buy a new gun, but if I can find a great deal then I will consider used. I just seem to always get screwed when I buy something used. I would really like to shoot a Sig though.

Keep the opinions coming. :grin:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Dee,

Are you wanting it for concealed self defence, home self defence or target shooting? For defense 9mm is the bare minimum and .40SW is preferred. I know many folks carry 380s because they can fit in a back pocket. But in a fire fight with multiple targets you will lose. They don't have the take down power or capacity to do anything but scare a single unarmed bad guy away.

I have a Ruger P89 9mm with 2 preban 15 round magazines. It is DA on the first shot and SA thereafter. I love it and it is very acurate. For target shooting and home defense it is great.

For conceled carry it is alittle too bulky but that doesn't stop me from carrying it under a coat or oversized shirt. I like having 30 rounds of ammo on me but I'd rather have more punch of a .40 caliber. I'm looking at the S&W Model 99 in .40 SW. It is slimer for carrying and still fits my big paws well. I have tried the glocks but their butt feels to short in my hand.

The key is getting a caliber that meets your needs, is comfortable, and you can shoot well. I suggest you go to a pistol range that allows you to test shoot multiple rental guns. Shoot with some friends that have a weapon you are considering and shoot it alot before you commit to spending $500-$800.

When it comes down to it though, you might be better off spending the extra couple of hundred clams to get the gun that works best for you.

Let me know if you want to go shooting some time and we can get a few other bullitt heads together at a range!

~Dave

#4655 is my first Stang. I almost had a '68 as my first car but settled for the '01 version 20+ years later! I always go the speed limit. Sometimes I double it for good measure!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT4655 on 2004-03-22 13:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2004-03-22 08:35, 5111 wrote:
I have now shot about 2500 rounds through my .22 and am starting to look for a bigger handgun. Price is obviously going to be an issue so forget about Desert Eagle, Kimber, HK, etc. I had heard many good things about the Ruger 9mm, but I shot one the other day and HATED it! That double action trigger is just too long and strange. Thursday I shot a Glock .45 and loved it! I was also considering a Beretta 9mm.

I am afraid that .45 ammunition is going to be too expensive, and 9mm is much cheaper. But I really liked that Glock. So here is what I am thinking about for now in the following order.

1. Glock 30 (I think) .45 ($550)
2. Glock 17/19 (whichever one is the full-sized) 9mm ($500)
3. Beretta 92FS 9mm ($550)

So tell me what you think...

I personally own a Ruger P85 9mm, Taurus PT92 9mm (same as Beretta 92FS), Glock .40 cal, Glock 10mm, and a various assortment of other handguns including .32 autos, .380s, .22s (ranging from derringers to revolvers to competition autos), S&W .357 Magnum, .44 Special, and several others I am not thinking of right now.

Of all the handguns I own, the most enjoyable to shoot and carry is the Taurus PT92. It is perfectly balanced and feels like the most solid gun of them all. I also like the Glocks, but the lack of a safety and hammer cause me concern for carrying. It is mostly just perception, but the fact that all you have to do is pull the trigger just doesn't feel safe enough to me. I have also heard nothing but good things about the Sig, but they are fairly expensive. The Ruger I have is a good, reliable gun but it feels a little bulky and could be better balanced. Mine is a single/double action so I don't have the problem you experienced with the DA only trigger pull.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My main purpose is going to be shooting targets. As for protection, I doubt it will ever be used. I cannot carry a weapon to work, even in my car without getting jailtime (Zero tolerance on school property). I keep my gun at home in the box locked and unloaded. I don't even keep a loaded clip so it wouldn't be too much use. But you never know.

I planned all along to get a Ruger 9mm, but I just didn't like the way it felt. I think that it was a p89. I REALLY liked the Glock. I can see the compact Glocks with the shorter butt being too small, but the full-sized one fit my hand just fine, and I've got some wide palms.

I probably will not get the next gun for a couple of months, and in that time I'm hoping to shoot some others.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
If you like the Ruger other than the way it fit your hand then you can buy a set of grips form Safariland. They wrap around with the finger groves and will make it fit you like a glove.....

As far as used guns go quality is quallity. I would rather buy a used quality gun than a new cheap gun. (not that any of you mentioned were cheap just a vote for a used gun)

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On 2004-03-22 11:38, .50ae Bullitt wrote:
Hands down the gun you should get is a springfield armory .45. Not only will you be paying about $550, it will be fit and finished perfectly. Also, check cheaperthandirt.com, there you can find ammo really cheap, for instance, I found .45 on there for $6.80 a box. That is as much as 9mm at the dreaded walmart. If you want something smaller caliber, I would go with .40cal. There is really no reason to go down to 9mm because most guns that shoot 9mm can also be had in .40cal.
Thanks, I'll check that site when I get home. It is blocked here at work. $6.80/100 rounds is really cheap. I paid $10.50 at Wal-Mart for a box of 100 9mm.

Larry, it was the trigger on the Ruger that I didn't like.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On 2004-03-22 13:35, .50ae Bullitt wrote:
That was $6.97 for a box of 50, which is the same as a box of 50 9mm at wally. Thats about as good as it gets.
Even then that is not too bad. I bought a bulk box (100 rounds) of 9mm at Wal-mart last week for $10.50. Two of your boxes of 50 would be about $14 for 100 rounds of .45. I just wish that they had bulk boxes of .45 at Wal-mart. Those are usually the best prices around.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I just got back from the range. Very interesting news...Sig gave our department a new DAO (double action only) pistol for evaluation. I fired four rounds through it.

My 226 has a 12 lb. double action trigger pull and then about 4 lbs on single action.

This gun had a VERY smooth trigger pull and was a constant 6 lbs every time, with no safety lever and no decocking lever. Very simple. Very slick. I doubt our department would replace our guns but for personal use it may be perfect.

It also had integrated rails for a light.

Glock and H&K better watch out!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The Sig is great if you can get used to double action/single action. My wife loves hers (she only shoots it single action). The CZ75 is the least expensive and very accurate for a 9mm. It would be my choice for a cheap to buy and shoot plinker and it can be carried double action or c0cked and locked. The Hi-Power is my favorite 9mm, but it will need a LOT of trigger work to shoot accurately. The Belgians must have Popeye arms. I personally would have nothing other than a .45 1911 for self defense, but I`m an old, old gunny who thinks that double actions and .40s are solutions to non-existant problems and that the Hi-Power would be more aptly named the Low-Power. Bottom line is....Whatever fits your hand and lines up with your forearm with an easy, comfortable grip.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I like the 92F

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
On 2004-03-22 18:48, Doc Coffin wrote:
I personally would have nothing other than a .45 1911 for self defense

I have my grandfather's 1911 .45 which he carried as a sidearm when they stormed the beach at Normandy.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts