Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the strange frequency response of the 460 sound system a limitation of the stock amp/speaker setup, or the head unit? Essentially, would any benefit be gotten from leaving a totally stock system in place, but upgrading the component speakers?

To my ear (and I'm NOT a car audio enthusiast or expert), the mid- and low-mid bass response is fairly heavy, but with many kinds of music there seems to be a very fine line between just a bit too little bass and bass distortion.

My GUESS is that low bass and subwoofer frequencies are more or less missing, and my natural tendency is to turn up the bass trying to get more out of those frequencies. This results in distortion before I get the low end bass, which just never quite arrives. I'm not heavily into rap music (though I don't hate it), I just mean good bass response from all kinds of music. In contrast, my girlfriend has a 2000 Jetta with the "Monsoon" stereo package. It lacks the power output of the 460, but is VERY well balanced, and in particular has shockingly thorough bass response considering it is not a monster system.

It seems like mid-range is VERY cut in the 460, though I get used to this after a few days util, again, I hear the same CD in her car, or even in my *decent* JVC single CD player in my Honda. I think I wind up running the overall volume up more than I otherwise would trying to get good midrange out of it with certain CD's.

Like the bass, the highs tend to go from just a bit too soft to piercing within 1 notch of adjustment sometimes.

Overall, I like the system, and it is unquestionably the best overall car stereo I've ever had. However, I'd like to refine the sound just a BIT, without fully replacing it or spending a load of cash. It seems like alot of people are happy putting a bazooka in the trunk for the bass, though I'm curious if this sounds "mushy" with the seats up. (a minor problem if so)

So would some type of amplified sub and better tweeters cut it? All around speaker replacement with stock head unit/amps?

Low-cost refinement is key, and I would like to keep as much of the stock hardware in place as possible.

Joe

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I am working on this as we speak. I want to replace the front subs with a pair of 8 inch or 6.5's , I will be trying both. I am getting ready to modify the rear enclosure to house one 10 inch sub. all of this will be done of the stock amps, so the speakers must be effcient. As far as the front "mid/high units" I have found no direct replacements. I have no intention of making this a "boom system" I would like to be able to listen to all music. Also I feel it helps a little if you set the dsp to driver.
I honestly thought my speakers were blown at first, my 2002 explorer without the upgraded audio sounds better than this setup.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I tried replacing the stock speakers in my 97 GT and I ended up with a TERRIBLE amount of distortion. Seems to me that the speakers and the amps in this car are mated to each other in a way that makes it tough to find a higher quality aftermarket replacement. What I did do that worked EXTREMELY well for me is I added to 12" Boston Pro series subs and a PPI amp with q bass control so I could adjust from the drivers seat. Then to get rid of the distortion I disabled the rear speakers. The front tweeters and door speakers are plenty to handle the mids and highs and the imaging on the system works VERY well. Here is a couple pics of what I did in the Bullitt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have added one 10inch JL Audio Sub in a Stealth enclosure to the Mach 460. The sub is powered by a JL Audio 250/1 sub amp. I also disconnected the rear woofers and the sound is so much cleaner now (less bass distortion). I was thinking of replacing the front speakers with some good component speakers but I'm afraid that the factory amp will not be a good match for the new speakers, so I have decided to stick with the factory speakers for now (I don't want to replace the whole system as I don't want to attract thieves)

·
Registered
208 Posts
dEucE,
How did you go about hooking up all the wiring for you new amp? I was planning on doing the same to the rear end of the system, but was unsure about all the wiring. I was hoping to staying away from doing a total rewire for the new amp. Was hoping to use the wiring that was already in the truck but didn't know if it was possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The shop that did the install used the factory wiring that goes to the the amp on the right side of the trunk. They removed the amp and just used those inputs for the new sub-amp. It looked pretty simple, the only other thing they did was run a power cable from the battery and a remote turn-on lead from the fusebox. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks dEucE,
I figured, or at least hoped, it would be that easy, and with your system, it was best to run a thicker power cable to the amp. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Be careful in adding any aftermarket speakers to the origional speaker enclosures. The airspace of the enclosures tend to be tailored to the stock speakers. However, polypropolene woofers will clear up sloppy bass response if they have the right enclosures. Adding a subwoffer like some of the previous responses tends to work best. It would be interesting to see if anyone has had any luck replacing the stock 5X7 with aftermarket brands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The reason why you guys are having problems with the mach 460 is because the tweets are ran in mono and the speakers are ran in stereo and your amps are set up that way so when you add a aftermarket amp you have to wire one channel to the speakers and one to the tweets instead of just combining them like most shops would do....i have replaced all speakers with cerwin vegas tweets are the same and i have a floor board box with 2 12s in the trunk

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I was under the impression the "subs" were in mono (one amp for the front one amp for the rear) and the "mid/tweets" were in stereo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts