Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got so tired of looking at the sun damage on my third brake light, but I was too lazy to sand and buff it out.

I was in Pep Boys and saw carbon fiber tape in a 6 inch wide section.

Slapped that on, smoothed it out, razor trimmed the edges and voila~! 9000% better. It is low key enough to not stand out, but eliminates that ugly damage on an otherwise beautiful car.

·
Car Whisperer
20,777 Posts
pics?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ooooh a simple remedy.
Does it peel up or anything? How much did it cost? Name brand?

Ichibanbullitt

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Pics plz. mine is horrible and I need to do something.

·
Registered
494 Posts
has anyone just painted the top of the light besides me??

Chad

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've read post after post about people's fading and warping third brake light lenses. Mine, however, has been perfect for over three years, now (garaged it's first three years of life). It's been out in the Texas sun every day for over three years and has until just very recently shown none of the problems "everyone" has complained about.

I had a theory, and because of what mine's doing now, I feel it is correct.

I believe that car wax is what causes these lenses to go bad. I don't pretend to know the chemistry involved, but I believe wax (perhaps aided by sunlight) somehow attacks the lens material making it break down in the sun.

Sounds exactly backward, doesn't it?

Here's why I believe this. I have waxed my car maybe twice since owning it. Blast me if you will, but it still looks great. Because I don't wax the car, the lens has held up very nicely. The only place that's starting to show (VERY recently) the cracking/hazing is where I touch it when closing the trunk (I'm careful to touch only the lens with two fingers when closing the trunk). Yes, the oil from my fingertips is causing the same problem car wax does. The cracking on my lens actually mimics fingerprints. It's only happening in the middle where I touch it. The ends are starting to curl up, too.

I bet that those whose lenses went early were owners who religiously wash and wax their cars. Those of us who don't do it so often (or at all) probably have the best-looking original lenses.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
SNAFU said:
I've read post after post about people's fading and warping third brake light lenses. Mine, however, has been perfect for over three years, now (garaged it's first three years of life). It's been out in the Texas sun every day for over three years and has until just very recently shown none of the problems "everyone" has complained about.

I had a theory, and because of what mine's doing now, I feel it is correct.

I believe that car wax is what causes these lenses to go bad. I don't pretend to know the chemistry involved, but I believe wax (perhaps aided by sunlight) somehow attacks the lens material making it break down in the sun.

Sounds exactly backward, doesn't it?

Here's why I believe this. I have waxed my car maybe twice since owning it. Blast me if you will, but it still looks great. Because I don't wax the car, the lens has held up very nicely. The only place that's starting to show (VERY recently) the cracking/hazing is where I touch it when closing the trunk (I'm careful to touch only the lens with two fingers when closing the trunk). Yes, the oil from my fingertips is causing the same problem car wax does. The cracking on my lens actually mimics fingerprints. It's only happening in the middle where I touch it. The ends are starting to curl up, too.

I bet that those whose lenses went early were owners who religiously wash and wax their cars. Those of us who don't do it so often (or at all) probably have the best-looking original lenses.
Sounds like a good theory except that I never waxed my lense even once. I was actually careful to not get too close to it either because I hate cleaning the wax out of cracks. For the first three years my car never was in a garage. The lense stayed looking good up until about month 30 and then started getting bad quick. I had the lense replaced at month 35 (before the warranty ran out). 6 months after getting it replaced we bought a house and the car is garaged during much of summer. I'm now at the 30 month mark where it previously started to deteriorate. Hopefully it won't.

The oil from the fingertip is an interesting theory. I used to also use the light to close the trunk, but not anymore.

·
Registered
257 Posts
5111 said:
The oil from the fingertip is an interesting theory. I used to also use the light to close the trunk, but not anymore.
I think your theory is more than that. I open and close my trunk a couple of times a day. I was always careful to only pull the trunk down in the middle. My light is crack and faded only in the middle, like all the others.
I think I will try the tape trick. I have some carbon fiber style tape at home.

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts
I use the outline of the state of Texas on my tag to push down on for closing the trunk lid. Mostly to keep from having finger prints attracting dust on the paint. Then again the car has almost always been in a garage. Except when I drove it home from FL and when we went to the 06 Natls. Before that I don't know, but it was a garage queen before I bought it.

Just a thought, but has anyone tried sunblock? It works for humans, why not the plastic lense. Mustangs with wings don't seem to have this problem. Could be just blocking the U-V is what is needed. Wax doesn't do that for you. And it IMHO does have some pretty strong detergents in the liquid, which would/could breakdown plastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts