Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum for jack stand but still don't see a good place to use them. I want to raise the front left and right of car. Can i use a jack on my full length subframe connectors? There is no where else to put it? Am i correct? You can use the front of the kmember but I have not room to move the handle for it to go up.
I was going to use the jack on the holes in the a-arms by the inside of the wheel well. But this didnt seem safe to jack right under the springs. The diagram show this as another jacking point? There should be a diagram for jack stand location as well.
What has everyone done here?

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
After jacking up the front suspension at the jacking locations recommended, I put a jack stand under each lower A-arm right under the coil spring. Just make sure that as you lower the car the jack stand remains centered under the spring.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Do you need to take the wheels off? If not, you could use Rhino ramps.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked at that diagram a hundred times and but I still don't see all those points on the Bullitt. Also I am looking for Jack Stand points as well not just jacking points. Like I said one of the points on the sides are where my subframe connectors are (maximum motorsports). I thought I was told NOT to use the subframe connectors to jack with. I have rhino ramps and use them when i dont need to take my wheels off. But i have to take my wheels off and get to the brakes so I need to put it up on jack stands. The only place I see to put them in the front is on the K-member(sides of oil pan) to the left and right.

It didnt seem safe to put the jack on the holes in the a-arms under the springs. I was worried about jacking it up too high and somehow messing the spring or sqeezing it out. I have to jack the car up pretty high to get the jack stands under it. I wouldnt have thought it was safe to put the jack stands there. Then the front wheels would be up high and the center of the car would be sagging in the middle. To put something right under the spring doesnt seem like a good point me. Anyone else agree or not?

Can I put my jack under my long subrame connectors? This would be easiest to get to from the side. Anybody know if this is safe and wont crack the welds on the subframe connectors or mess up my geometry of the chassis?
Also what about putting the jack stands under the k-member like I described above?
It seems some people arent using the best locations for stands and jacking....

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up using the jack stands on either side of the k-member and jacking it up towards the end of the subframe connector.
Is it safe to use the subframe to jack up the car? I have heard not to use them. I have also heard it is okay but just dont use jack in the middle of the subframe.
Anyone know for sure???

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up using the jack stands on either side of the k-member and jacking it up towards the end of the subframe connector.
Is it safe to use the subframe to jack up the car? I have heard not to use them. I have also heard it is okay but just dont use jack in the middle of the subframe.
Anyone know for sure???

·
Registered
976 Posts
Mr. Bull said:
I have looked at that diagram a hundred times and but I still don't see all those points on the Bullitt.

Same here - that diagram confuses me. Anyone have pictures as a reference?

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
As far as the jackstand being under the front coils, I too don't really like putting them there. However, I know it won't damage the car and its a better location than the crossmember since that location is known to bend/warp. Your concerns with the spring popping out because you jacked the car too high can be put to rest. To remove the front springs it takes a lot more than just jacking up the car. It takes a spring compressor to remove them (done very carefully I might add). In addition, the car will not be sagging in the middle from this support. Remember that this form of wheel support is identical to how the car sits when it is on the ground. The only trick is to make sure that the lower A-arms are properly located on the top of the jack stand. Let down the hydraulic jack slowly and make sure they are centered appropriately and you won't have any issues. I especially prefer to load the A-arms this way if the car is to be jacked up for long periods of time since it allows the front suspension to be loaded the same way in which it does when on the ground normally.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
A plus for jacking under the coils is that you only need to jack it up like an inch and the wheel is an inch off the ground. I only do it like this when I am not going to be under the car.

IF I am going to be under it then I use the big jack from the middle arrow and then put jack stands under the k frame and let them take the weight.

Note on using that plate in the middle, if your jack has any ears on the jacking point it will put a dent in the plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts